3 villages near poultry plant in Phetchabun locked down as 3,000 workers found infected with COVID-19

webfact

Website-Thumbnail-Set-31.jpg

Three villages around a frozen poultry plant in Bung Samphan district of Phetchabun province have been locked down after 19 villagers and more than half of the 6,500 plus workers at there tested positive for COVID-19.

Active screening of 6,587 workers was completed yesterday, with results showing that 372 Thais and 2,805 foreign migrant workers are infected with COVID-19.

Health officials also tested 115 villagers and found 19 were infected. More villagers in Ban Nong Prong, Ban Lam Takhro and Ban Lam Takhro Nua are being tested today.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/3-villages-near-poultry-plant-in-phetchabun-locked-down-as-3000-workers-found-infected-with-covid-19/

Logo-top-.png

This is the kind of story I was expecting to see in the first half of last year, with hygiene being what it is in Asia.  I could not believe the cases were so scant back then.

Filthy foreigners, A-list scapegoats.

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1

A problem with this kind of mass testing is that a proportion of those tested might only have picked up the bug the day before testing so incubation time not long enough to show positive.

That factory should be isolated and re tested in two weeks time . Sure to find more cases

You my friend are absolutely correct.

24 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Why have they only locked down 3 local villages ? They should do it for at least a 50 klm radius. People do travel !

They need to widen the circle and check further out to see how far the cases are before deciding to limit their approach.  You can not get ahead of the issue unless you get an idea of where this has spread to, or did it spread to the plant from the villages since people do live in them that work inside the plant.  They are not all migrant workers as some would have you believe.

• Like 2

Have to wonder if all the non Thais were there legally with work permits etc . Would be very surprised if that was the case and to have such a high number means either they all live and work in very close proximity or confined space or where they came from is rampant with covid !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Three villages around a frozen poultry plant in Bung Samphan district of Phetchabun province have been locked down after 19 villagers and more than half of the 6,500 plus workers at there tested positive for COVID-19.

That's not good news at all.... seems to have been a real lack of PPE and screening within the factory.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bendejo said:

This is the kind of story I was expecting to see in the first half of last year, with hygiene being what it is in Asia.  I could not believe the cases were so scant back then.

No comment but ok if from Burmah right!!

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

You my friend are absolutely correct.

They need to widen the circle and check further out to see how far the cases are before deciding to limit their approach.  You can not get ahead of the issue unless you get an idea of where this has spread to, or did it spread to the plant from the villages since people do live in them that work inside the plant.  They are not all migrant workers as some would have you believe.

I have noticed over the Years that getting ahead of an issue is something Thais cannot comprehend.

In the Village where I live, when it rains the sand is washed off the fields on to the Roads.

Along come a team of people from the Tesaban Office to discuss what needs to be done, and then a team arrive with shovels and brushes, and all the Sand is then cleared off the roads and put back into the Ditches on the Roadside.

And when it rains the next time -yup ! you guessed it

rinse and repeat, and this has been going on for Years.

• Like 1

This story also proves how utterly deadly covid is . The fact that half the factory had covid and continued to function means you have to be very very unlucky to get serious complications from it or die from it ! ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, bendejo said:

Well wouldn't you expect foreigners from surrounding counties working in Thailand to be less hygienic just for the fact their poor, the virus just luv's it. 

9 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Why have they only locked down 3 local villages ? They should do it for at least a 50 klm radius. People do travel !

For the money they're paid, they have to live locally, travelling costs too much.

22 hours ago, MayBeNow said:

The migrant workers will be vaccinated the very last. But i hope before the immigrant Westerners though. The poor migrants dont really have much choice.

You must be under the misconception that migrant workers are cared-about.  They're more likely to be deported en masse.  Dont'cha know vaccines cost money?

Now envision the hundreds of trucks that have left that poultry plant, headed to a distribution center or a store near you...

Too late to lock down.  That horse has bolted.

Seems like the only demographic they can effectively exclude is cashed up, legal, vaccinated and tested tourists.  The ones they need to jump start the economy.