uTorrent is it Bitcoin mining

sanuk711

I was reinstalling uTorrent, and came across so many of these warnings while going to their site--- is it correct? I have run the usual maleware etc--all negative and have not noticed any decrease in the  download speed. --But these warnings come reputable sites--unlimited download here, unlike western countries. So I don't know from my account if there is any more usage.

So should I be worried or just ignore.

uTorrent's latest update the popular torrent management software
comes bundled with a program called Epic Scale, a Windows program
that uses the computer's processor to mine a bitcoin variant
called Litecoin in the background. -- Trusted Reviews,

uTorrent is a popular BitTorrent application that has angered
some users by installing a Bitcoin mining application on their
computers---Infoworld.com

2 hours ago, Whale said:

It was back in 2015, it does not mine anymore.

yes, it does not mine Bitcoins now because it mines its very own cryptocurrency.

(can be disabled in settings)

(or can be enabled to earn free moneys if you have lots of bandwidth and share large and popular files)

Edited by fdsa
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2021 at 6:50 PM, Daffy D said:

Does this only apply to later versions of uTorrent?

I am using a very old version V.2.2.1 so should be alright shouldn't I  :w00t:

ver 2.2.1  or ver. 3.5.5 is the recommended versions to use.

On 7/26/2021 at 4:42 PM, fdsa said:

yes, it does not mine Bitcoins now because it mines its very own cryptocurrency.

(can be disabled in settings)

(or can be enabled to earn free moneys if you have lots of bandwidth and share large and popular files)

How do I disable this in the settings....please.

I also ask because just recently I've noticed something strange happening with my UTorrent, where the selected downloads are shown, and the progress, the whole thing keeps "stuttering" whereby it seems to get switched on and off in a matter of seconds, repeatedly.

Don't know what's causing it, any suggestions please?

3 hours ago, thaitom said:

Well....it depends on what you are into.

These days at my age there's very little I'm able to be into  :whistling:

It's really more of a worry what's trying to get at me  :sad:

Anyways, the extension  Minerblock  mentioned by "worgeordie" works on Chrome and Edge.  :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

These days at my age there's very little I'm able to be into  :whistling:

It's really more of a worry what's trying to get at me  :sad:

Anyways, the extension  Minerblock  mentioned by "worgeordie" works on Chrome and Edge.  :thumbsup:

I just downloaded Transmission , I will give it a try just for a change. The torrent site I use accepts it.

17 hours ago, thaitom said:

I just downloaded Transmission , I will give it a try just for a change. The torrent site I use accepts it.

Transmission is good open source software, no doubt about it, but I find it too basic. If you find it a little bare bones, then try another safe open source client, qbittorrent - visually its the same as utorrent without the bloat.

3 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Transmission is good open source software, no doubt about it, but I find it too basic. If you find it a little bare bones, then try another safe open source client, qbittorrent - visually its the same as utorrent without the bloat.

Okay, Thanks. I will give it a try also.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using µTorrent for ages.  Only use it for downloads/uploads.  When they added all that stuff for steaming and whatever else it got too bulky and ate up a lot of system resources,, so I scaled back and shut down all the features that I had no use for.  I'm using 3.4, wouldn't even consider updating unless they add something I could use.

It's a real workhorse, pretty solid.

I've been told by a number of people 2.2.1 is the classic bare-bones release, it should be available on the net if you look hard enough.

On 8/1/2021 at 11:31 AM, recom273 said:

I just wanted to say thanks for recommending qbittorrent , It is working great, once I got connectable with the torrent site the speeds are dramatically improved.

7 minutes ago, thaitom said:

I just wanted to say thanks for recommending qbittorrent , It is working great, once I got connectable with the torrent site the speeds are dramatically improved.

That’s great .. its one of the best feature packed clients, I use it because of the tags / trackers / categories organization and it’s rss downloader. I wish they would introduce a time-delete function like utorrent tho’ 

uTorrent was a standard years ago now it's full of cr*ap, probably they sold it to some other company. I suggest you use a clean BitTorrent client like qBittorrent or Deluge

Edited by Sundown