The Current Situation

Gimbo

I am flying in to BKK next weekend, and the plan is for my girlfriend to come down from Isaan to meet me, and then we drive straight back upcountry again.

But given the political situation in Bangkok at the moment, I am not all that sure if it's wise for her to be on the road from Isaan heading towards Bangkok at all so close to May 30th.

So thinking about telling her to stay put, and then I'll drive up there allone.

What would you do in a simillar situation? :o

I am flying in to BKK next weekend, and the plan is for my girlfriend to come down from Isaan to meet me, and then we drive straight back upcountry again.

But given the political situation in Bangkok at the moment, I am not all that sure if it's wise for her to be on the road from Isaan heading towards Bangkok at all so close to May 30th.

So thinking about telling her to stay put, and then I'll drive up there allone.

What would you do in a simillar situation? :o

I would not worry too much.

The new airport is easily reached from Isaan without going through the city at all.

I envy you to be flying in so soon !

Edited by Krub

In the Bangkok Post they were expecting riots if the Court dissolves the TRT and Democrat parties, as they are expected to do. Naturally, that ruling will be announced the 30th. I'd have her stay put, and try to hire a taxi from the airport to drive upcountry. You find a driver from Isaan, they are happy for an excuse to go home and visit so only charge 2500 baht or so. Even better, have her hire a driver to meet you at the airport and bring you home.

In the Bangkok Post they were expecting riots if the Court dissolves the TRT and Democrat parties, as they are expected to do. Naturally, that ruling will be announced the 30th. I'd have her stay put, and try to hire a taxi from the airport to drive upcountry. You find a driver from Isaan, they are happy for an excuse to go home and visit so only charge 2500 baht or so. Even better, have her hire a driver to meet you at the airport and bring you home.

Do not worry. Cool down. The Country is calm. The excitation is very limited to some few areas of Bangkok. Most of Bangkok is quiet.

Sleep well and come as planned. Just avoid the political arena of Sa Nam Luang (Approximative Orthograph)

Do not worry. Cool down. The Country is calm. The excitation is very limited to some few areas of Bangkok. Most of Bangkok is quiet.

Sleep well and come as planned. Just avoid the political arena of Sa Nam Luang (Approximative Orthograph)

Don't worry, I there is nothing that can keep me away from Thailand and her, so I am coming. Also what I worry about is actually not so much her safety (or mine for that matter as we are not entering Bankok at all) in this situation, but actual travel restrictions as a result of possible riots in Bangkok.

I can see a situation where for example police start to turn back busses and other modes of transport coming in from the rural provinces as a result of demonstrations and/ or riots. That would make it a bit impractical for us to meet up, so in that light it may be more practical for us to meet up in Korat, instead of at BKK.

A bit lame if I arrive at the airport and she is stuck in some bus that has been turned around.

Anyway, I have booked a car and will drive myself (yeah, no worries I know about Thai drivers, insurance and highway cops).

Edited by Gimbo

Don't worry, I there is nothing that can keep me away from Thailand and her, so I am coming. Also what I worry about is actually not so much her safety (or mine for that matter as we are not entering Bankok at all) in this situation, but actual travel restrictions as a result of possible riots in Bangkok.

I can see a situation where for example police start to turn back busses and other modes of transport coming in from the rural provinces as a result of demonstrations and/ or riots. That would make it a bit impractical for us to meet up, so in that light it may be more practical for us to meet up in Korat, instead of at BKK.

A bit lame if I arrive at the airport and she is stuck in some bus that has been turned around.

Anyway, I have booked a car and will drive myself (yeah, no worries I know about Thai drivers, insurance and highway cops).

The rainy season starts: farmers (TRT) are very busy in their field with the rice to sow. Shop keepers in BKK are very concerned by the sluggish economy. It is not the right time for demonstrations: 75% of Thais do not want any demonstration as per today poll.

Except in a microcosm nothing will happen....Except the foam amplified by some medias. Keep cool.

Plus Suvanarboum is far from BKK and you can join Korat directly (Or she can join directly)

I read that there will be several police checkpoints set up in the area Korat towards Bangkok. The intent is to stop people traveling to Bangkok for demonstrations. The said they'll be asking why you're traveling there, letting anyone with legit business go on.

Can't remember when they mentioned they'd start the checkpoints.

Good luck.

My wife met me at the airport the last time I came in. It's nice to be met but certainly not worth the problems for her. I am quite capable finding my own way around Thailand by myself and see no reason to put her through the trouble the next time. She surprised me by meeting me the last time.

My wife met me at the airport the last time I came in. It's nice to be met but certainly not worth the problems for her. I am quite capable finding my own way around Thailand by myself and see no reason to put her through the trouble the next time. She surprised me by meeting me the last time.

Very wise your wife - practicing due dilligence and making sure you don't have a chance to slip downtown for a few hours R&R, whilst blaming a flight delay. Chalard maak. :o

That is what my wife's brother told her to do as well. Either she meets me or someone in the family, for my own safety of course they claim. :o

Mike in Seattle

Its also a Mini Vacation for them and the chance of good food along the way paid by you

:D

Very wise your wife - practicing due dilligence and making sure you don't have a chance to slip downtown for a few hours R&R, whilst blaming a flight delay. Chalard maak. :o

lol

My wife has done the same.

She just stood there.

Supliiiiiise.

I had no time to tell her what flight I came with (my Company provides the tickets), only what day.

Many flights in from the same city that day.

No problem, she just called Thai Air and asked what flight Mr. so and so came with.

They provided her with the info!!

And there she was.

Supliiiiise.

You should try asking any Airline sometime what time a specific person is arriving and they will usually quote rules and regulations that prohibit providing that kind of information. Of course if it was a Thai lady asking another Thai lady :o then the regs go out the window.

My wife appears to be generally concerned for my safety in big bad BKK if I am all alone. I have realized that she does not see me as the big tough guy that I am :D and she thinks that the first Tuk Tuk driver I meet will rob me after hitting me on the head.

I see the entire production as a huge waste of money, but I am sure that Mac is right on point when he says that they get to go on a mini-vacation from the village on my dime. C'est La Vie, it is only money.

Mike in Seattle

You're all forgetting the taxi killings a few years back. (which was specifically related to foreigners arriving at the airport).

My wife really doesn't like me taking taxis, except where it's a driver that we know.

I'll take a taxi off the street once in a blue moon - and never from the airport. The only taxi driver that's ever taken me TO the airport is the husband of one of the local Bangkok Bank staff, where we both have accounts.

(Before you all think my wife simply likes keeping tabs on me - I drive myself around for the most part... In fact, the last time I remember taking a taxi off the street in Bangkok was from the garage when I took the car in for a service.)

Edited by bkk_mike

Be careful if you decide to get a taxi, the G/F and I took a cab from the old airport to Satuk, yeah sure the taxi driver said he knew the way "no problem", 8 hours later we got there and that was by luck not judgement.

Actually the strange thing about it was that I was headed to Jomtien and she was going to Bangkok to visit family. After she had me safely in a taxi heading to Jomtien, she took the bus to Bangkok. I would have been further ahead getting my own taxi. The driver bitched all the way down there about how kee nio (cheap) my wife is. His price was negotiated down from 1,500 baht to 1,000 baht. We eventually returned home to Loei together via the bus.