Having A Baby

scottie

My girlfriend is expecting our 1st baby end Aug, beginning Sept & is understandably apprehensive.

She's very scared of C-section & would also prefer a female doctor.

Any recommendations? I've searched the forum & am not sure how up to date some of the info is, eg as far as we know CM Ram no longer offer packages. We have been going there for ultra sound, check ups & prescriptions, but thought good to ask for any advice.

Suan Dok do have private facility which we're also seriously considering.

As we all know cost isn't the main issue, but any up to date info on that also greatly appreciated.

i've had three kids born at CM ram but they were all under their special birth packages at CM Ram. if cost is not an issue, then its best to continue there. For regular birth, then i think its in the range of 30k plus. 40k plus for c-section. If she prefers a female doctor, then DR. Catereeya is a wonderful doctor. All the best.

Many thanks Tigerbeer, we'll look into getting that doc.

The other thing in Thailand c-sections seem to be quite common.....speed & extra money perhaps?

She would only want a c-section if it was absolutely necessary.

Finally do you think they allow you in for the delivery? have read mixed info on this.

The other thing in Thailand c-sections seem to be quite common.....speed & extra money perhaps?

Finally do you think they allow you in for the delivery? have read mixed info on this.

It really depends on the doctors. my First kid, Dr. Catareeya allowed me in. Second time was another doc and for him, it was definate no. Third kid, Dr. Catareeya didn't allow me in saying that the hospital now has strict policies with regard to this matter. Its still worth talking to the doctor about it. Also worth talking to the doctor if there is a possibility of getting any particular birth package which was offered previously. no harm trying :o

If she is Thai, take her to the local amphur hospital where she is from and have the baby for free. My son was born 40km from Laos and it was free. The local hospital did a good job. My wife had a c-section.

The money you will spend on having a baby here in Chiang Mai would be better spent buying things like cribs, walkers, hi-chairs, baby seats, bottle warmers, bottles, breast pumps (if needed), baby clothes, baby food, diapers, and for all them panic attacks you and your wife will have when the baby sneezes and you rush to the hopital.

All of which will equal the cost of having a baby in CM Ram.

If money is not an issue, then ignore everything I said. Either way, congrats and best of luck to you and your family.

It really depends on the doctors. my First kid, Dr. Catareeya allowed me in. Second time was another doc and for him, it was definate no. Third kid, Dr. Catareeya didn't allow me in saying that the hospital now has strict policies with regard to this matter. Its still worth talking to the doctor about it. Also worth talking to the doctor if there is a possibility of getting any particular birth package which was offered previously. no harm trying :o

Have to agree that Catareeya is a fantastic doctor, and was the only doctor I spoke to who would let me try a natural birth after my first was born by c-section. Don't know when TB's third child was born, but 3 years ago when I had my second at CMRam, Dr. Catareeya let my husband stay with me through the whole night and then when it came time to make the decision to have the baby by c-section after all (good decision as I was likely only moments away from uterine rupture), my husband was in there the whole time until they knocked me out to stitch me up.

Good Luck!

Have to agree that Catareeya is a fantastic doctor, and was the only doctor I spoke to who would let me try a natural birth after my first was born by c-section. Don't know when TB's third child was born, but 3 years ago when I had my second at CMRam, Dr. Catareeya let my husband stay with me through the whole night and then when it came time to make the decision to have the baby by c-section after all (good decision as I was likely only moments away from uterine rupture), my husband was in there the whole time until they knocked me out to stitch me up.

Good Luck!

Hi TT,

Dr. Catareeya allowed me in approx 3 years 2 months ago. :D.

TB

If budget is not an issue, allow about B50K and stick to CM Ram, my son was born there 31 Jan this year and no complaints at all from mother, son or me!

Ajarn Tawatchai was our man and we both thoroughly enjoyed his style of care and dry humour.

JxP