Anyone recommend some book titles?

Asquith Production

I enjoyed Stories From the Secret War - CIA Special Ops in Laos by Terrence Burke.  Quite a fellow and an interesting read.  (I did get a free copy from Terry - his grandson was a neighbor and lived at my home for a time.)  Terry wrote another one about his later time in Afghanistan with the DEA though I haven't read that one yet. Stalking the Caravan: A Drug Agent in Afghanistan 1971-1973

2 hours ago, JupiterRising said:

I am an historian of Asian war campaigns. One of the best books which was a PHD thesis and used today at Sandhurst and Westpoint. Is 

‘Street without Joy. By Bernard Fall.

it categorizes the political and the military perspective from BOTH sides during the loss of Indochina. Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and the run up to the American war.

Next.

‘Chicken hawk’ by Robert Mason. He was a helicopter pilot during the Vietnam war. Now classed as a mini classic.

There are funny times and hard times. A great book.

if you want more about the wars in Asia, please let me know as I have over 60 books that I read and have read as a historian of the region.

regards

Ben

Finished Chickenhawk two days ago thanks.

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

I enjoyed Stories From the Secret War - CIA Special Ops in Laos by Terrence Burke.  Quite a fellow and an interesting read.  (I did get a free copy from Terry - his grandson was a neighbor and lived at my home for a time.)  Terry wrote another one about his later time in Afghanistan with the DEA though I haven't read that one yet. Stalking the Caravan: A Drug Agent in Afghanistan 1971-1973

Soundsl good will have a look thanks

Another book relevant to Thailand is "Refugee Workers in the Indochina Exodus, 1975-1982 " by Larry Clinton Thomas.  I worked with the refugee program in 1979/80 and Ban Vinai in Loei became my main camp.  I worked with/for some of the folks mentioned in the book.  Jerry was a co-worker and we sometimes stayed at Col. Moua Sue's place in the Hmong refugee camp at Ban Vinai. 

image.png.f27e3f1dad9a50116dc66c04c9e6304b.png

https://www.amazon.com/Refugee-Workers-Indochina-Exodus-1975-1982/dp/0786445297/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=refugee+workers+thailand&qid=1627513849&s=books&sr=1-4

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Another book relevant to Thailand is "Refugee Workers in the Indochina Exodus, 1975-1982 " by Larry Clinton Thomas.  I worked with the refugee program in 1979/80 and Ban Vinai in Loei became my main camp.  I worked with/for some of the folks mentioned in the book.  Jerry was a co-worker and we sometimes stayed at Col. Moua Sue's place in the Hmong refugee camp at Ban Vinai. 

image.png.f27e3f1dad9a50116dc66c04c9e6304b.png

https://www.amazon.com/Refugee-Workers-Indochina-Exodus-1975-1982/dp/0786445297/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=refugee+workers+thailand&qid=1627513849&s=books&sr=1-4

Will take a look thanks.

I wish that MacAlan Thompson were still with us.  He passed in December 2018.  Mac worked the refugee program for several years.  He came to Thailand as a U.S. Army lieutenant in the Engineers in 1963.  These were the beginnings of remaking the roads in Thailand so that our military bases could be more easily supplied.  There are articles written by Mac and others in the Mekong Express Mail, a publication of the Thailand-Laos-Cambodia Brotherhood.  Their web site is

https://tlc-brotherhood.com/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fortean1 said:

I wish that MacAlan Thompson were still with us.  He passed in December 2018.  Mac worked the refugee program for several years.  He came to Thailand as a U.S. Army lieutenant in the Engineers in 1963.  These were the beginnings of remaking the roads in Thailand so that our military bases could be more easily supplied.  There are articles written by Mac and others in the Mekong Express Mail, a publication of the Thailand-Laos-Cambodia Brotherhood.  Their web site is

https://tlc-brotherhood.com/

There's a good bit about Mac throughout this memorial issue of the TLCB newsletter, including a previous article written by Mac.  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjFlu7svIjyAhX-KFkFHYNnBpcQFjAAegQIBhAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdigitalcommons.csp.edu%2Fcgi%2Fviewcontent.cgi%3Ffilename%3D0%26article%3D1032%26context%3Dhmong-studies_hohp%26type%3Dadditional&usg=AOvVaw3zZoWhSEBAP3RQpZhk2AqY

On 7/28/2021 at 8:02 PM, Asquith Production said:

Sounds good will have a look thanks

Weird story about the book Stories From the Secret War - CIA Special Ops in Laos by Terrence Burke that I recommended.  I misplaced my copy, so I ordered a used one for $10 that just came in today.   Ex-library copy, perfect condition (unread).  On the title page, it was signed "Semper Fi T. Burke".  OMG.  I couldn't believe it.  (My son who was killed in Iraq was a Marine.) 

6 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Weird story about the book Stories From the Secret War - CIA Special Ops in Laos by Terrence Burke that I recommended.  I misplaced my copy, so I ordered a used one for $10 that just came in today.   Ex-library copy, perfect condition (unread).  On the title page, it was signed "Semper Fi T. Burke".  OMG.  I couldn't believe it.  (My son who was killed in Iraq was a Marine.) 

Sorry to hear about your son, but what a coincidence.

On 7/29/2021 at 4:11 AM, JupiterRising said:

I am an historian of Asian war campaigns. One of the best books which was a PHD thesis and used today at Sandhurst and Westpoint. Is 

‘Street without Joy. By Bernard Fall.

it categorizes the political and the military perspective from BOTH sides during the loss of Indochina. Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and the run up to the American war.

Next.

‘Chicken hawk’ by Robert Mason. He was a helicopter pilot during the Vietnam war. Now classed as a mini classic.

There are funny times and hard times. A great book.

if you want more about the wars in Asia, please let me know as I have over 60 books that I read and have read as a historian of the region.

regards

Ben

An written by Vietnamese?

On 8/7/2021 at 9:12 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

An written by Vietnamese?

Here are a few recommendations. Overview of Sorrow of War from Wiki: The Sorrow of War, written in the stream of consciousness style,[7] opens with a depiction of soldiers on a postwar mission to collect the bones of fallen comrades for reburial. Thus begins the non-linear narrative by Kien, a North Vietnamese soldier during the Vietnam War, chronicling his loss of innocence, his love, and his anguish at the memories of war.

BAO Ninh The Sorrow of War The American War from a Northern perspective
CHONG Denise The Girl in the Picture Story of girl in iconic napalm picture.
DUONG Thu Huong Novel Without a Name Love lost in time of war
DUONG Thu Huong Paradise of the Blind Post revolution 50s hardship
HAYSLIP Le Ly When Heaven and Earth Changed Places Growing up with Viet Cong
HO Anh Thai The Women on the Island Post-war conflict for single women with children
NGUYEN Kien The Unwanted Amerasian outcast's troubles post victory, 1980s
PHAM Andrew Catfish and Mandala Early 90's, Viet Kieu cycling round country
TRAM Dang Thuy Last Night I Dreamed of Peace Personal diaries found after war
  • Thanks 2

On 8/7/2021 at 8:54 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

The Ragged Trousered Philanphropist - Robert Tressel

The Good Soldier Svejk - Jaroslav Hasek

Svejk?  Which volume do you LOVE best.

What a masterpiece.

Too few have heard of Hašek's Švejk.

Wasn't the third volume unfinished?

It's been a long time since I read of the great Švejk.

I see now that you requested non-fiction and realized my mistake soon after posting.

But truth be told, much if not most "non-fiction" is anything but that, while some classic fiction is truer than true.

Lost Horizon is a good example of that.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 1:32 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Svejk?  Which volume do you LOVE best.

What a masterpiece.

Too few have heard of Hašek's Švejk.

Wasn't the third volume unfinished?

It's been a long time since I read of the great Švejk.

I have the unabridged and unbowdlerised translation of four volumes by Cecil Parrot.

The notes say there was to be 6 volumes but Hašek only completed 4.