Thailand marriage/Condo ownership.

Up until the Covid took us all by devastating life changes my Thai girlfriend & I had made plans to get married & buy a condo in Thailand, we have a genuine loving relationship of 8 years but now I have not seen my girlfriend since March 2000 can I send her money to buy a condo whilst prices for property is low & the British £ is very good, if I could place the purchase of a condo in my name would it give me a better chance to get to Thailand around Xmas time & we can carry out our wedding plans.

Any suggestions welcomed. Thank you

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

As @Aussieroaming said 21 years without seeing your girlfriend is a long time.... I guess it's a typo and you mean march 2020.

anyway, for anyone buying property under your name you must give them a power of attorney. Land offices have a form for that. You'll have to also find a way for your gf to get the transfer document from your bank and also the money for the purchase. If you transfer money to her account you won't be able to register the condo under your name. 

and as for visa or entry to Thailand - unless it's a 10m up condo that might come under the investment scheme (I'm not even sure they have that going yet) then no, owning a property in Thailand doesn't give you any special rights. 

It is a much simpler and less risky transaction if you do it in person, as my experience confirms. Transfer the money to your Thai bank account saying its for a condo before you come. Then carry out your search, due diligence, etc when you here. Prices are most likely continuing their down ward trend, and supply far exceeds demand, so there is no hurry. 

If you buy before getting married, it's a non martial asset, it's 100% yours. You can always leave it to your wife via your Will. 

Edited by inThailand
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 9:59 AM, ray richards said:

I have not seen my girlfriend since March 2000...

Are you sure she's still waiting for you...????

On 7/27/2021 at 9:59 AM, ray richards said:

can I send her money to buy a condo whilst prices for property is low & the British £ is very good, if I could place the purchase of a condo in my name would it give me a better chance to get to Thailand around Xmas time & we can carry out our wedding plans.

Any suggestions welcomed. Thank you

You can transfer property by power of attorney, but to my knowledge, to transfer a condo into a foreigner's name, you would need to show proof of that the funds came from abroad, so money should go to your Thai bank account. Check carefully before doing anything.

Hope somebody with experience and knowledge of condos can give you more detailed facts.

It's difficult to predict the future, but with the ongoing record high daily numbers of new registered covid-cases, and the declining stock values on SET (Stock Exchange of Thailand), both the baht might decline further against the British pound, and the real estate market become more desperate...????

Thanks to everyone for your replies & great advice.

Ha ha I did make a year error, it's not 21 yrs since I last left Thailand & my girlfriend it was March 2020.

I think it will be better if I do get a 60 days tourist visa with a plan to extend for a retirement visa, I aim to stay in Thailand for 4 to 6 months hopefully from November 2021, I am fully vaccinated but I know Thailand is way behind so that could be a problem ?

I will be looking for a Condo around 2 ml bahts, I really don't mind if it's put in joint name as we've been together for 8 yrs & I'm an aging old <deleted> so at least she will have some security in money. 

Thanks again guys.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lanng khao said:

I've just been looking at a 60 M2 2 bed condo in rayong 2 minutes from the beach for 1.3 million.

From my overly exhaustive searches, Rayong does seem to offer the best value for condos near the beach (some with spectacular views).  Never been there so I can’t comment any further than that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ray richards said:

I would just like to add that we are not all millionaires who are able to buy 60 ml baht condominiums , some of us are just cheap charlies but are still happy to buy & live in a 1 to 2 ml bahts condo.

Do you know the difference between a square metre and a baht?