Thai FDA warns against use of disinfectant spray gun

snoop1130

750x422_951572_1627476529.jpeg

Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (TFDA) is warning against the use of alcohol spray guns, as their tiny droplets are ineffective at disinfecting surfaces and such spraying could cause any pathogens present to spread more widely.

Recommending the use of alcohol gel to wipe surfaces, instead of spray guns, Deputy Secretary-General of TFDA Dr. Supatra Boonserm, revealed that alcohol spray guns are currently in high demand, due to the continuing spread of COVID-19.

She also explained that, if the alcohol droplets get into someone’s eyes or nose, they can lead to eye irritation, dizziness, nausea and breathing issues and they are very dangerous for young children.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-fda-warns-against-use-of-disinfectant-spray-gun/

Logo-top-.png
  • Haha 1

Hundreds if not thousands have been sold. My condo units juristic office and security desk have 5 between them and the cleaners. You see them at all of the stores as well 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Hhudreds if not thousands have been sold. My condo units juristic office and security desk havev5 between them and the cleaners 

LOL - yes, they have been all over my FB feed for a few weeks now.

Definitely the 'must have' item of the moment, replacing air fryers who were the undisputed champions of the first half of 2021

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I personally use Chlorine dioxide (ClO2) tablets.

When used in very small quantities diluted in water it's safe and does not lead to health risks.

It effectively kills pathogenic microorganisms such as fungi, bacteria and viruses.

Edited by lucky2008
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (TFDA) is warning against the use of alcohol spray guns, as their tiny droplets are ineffective at disinfecting surfaces and such spraying could cause any pathogens present to spread more widely.

What about the people spraying down wet markets after a positive detection, I guess that's different?

18 hours ago, lucky2008 said:

I personally use Chlorine dioxide (ClO2) tablets.

When used in very small quantities diluted in water it's safe and does not lead to health risks.

It effectively kills pathogenic microorganisms such as fungi, bacteria and viruses.

How does this differ from common chlorine bleach?

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

What about the people spraying down wet markets after a positive detection, I guess that's different?

You guessed right.  There's a difference between these ineffective, hand held sprays and the more "industrial" type of spraying/soaking seen at markets.

16 minutes ago, lucky2008 said:
5 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

How does this differ from common chlorine bleach?

While chlorine dioxide has “chlorine” in its name, its chemistry is radically different from that of chlorine.

...and normal, household bleach is not "chlorine bleach", it's a sodium hypochlorite cocktail. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 6:33 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

...and normal, household bleach is not "chlorine bleach", it's a sodium hypochlorite cocktail. 

Okay. But this is still what is recommended to wipe down infectious surfaces, right?

And the chlorine in swimming pools is too diluted to be effective in preventing infection?