Mushroom Season Has Started

chownah

I'm not sure if these qualify as wild mushrooms or not. All I did was make some big piles of straw (like I do every year) and after these piles of straw get wet for several weeks/months (which they do every year) mushrooms appear....or not. I don't know for sure why but some of the piles grow them and some don't. I think its how much the chickens shit on the piles but my wife thinks I'm wrong on that....don't know for sure but the mushrooms are really delicious!!!

If you've got some soggy straw piles in your neighborhood I suggest you go on a search, rescue, cook, and eat mission.

I'm not sure if these qualify as wild mushrooms or not. All I did was make some big piles of straw (like I do every year) and after these piles of straw get wet for several weeks/months (which they do every year) mushrooms appear....or not. I don't know for sure why but some of the piles grow them and some don't. I think its how much the chickens shit on the piles but my wife thinks I'm wrong on that....don't know for sure but the mushrooms are really delicious!!!

If you've got some soggy straw piles in your neighborhood I suggest you go on a search, rescue, cook, and eat mission.

I suggest you're very careful. This is a cutting from the Chiang Mai forum -

Four dead from wild mushrooms in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- A senior medical official has warned of collecting mushrooms, popping up in the rainy season after four people in the northern province of Chiang Mai died this week after eating poisonous mushrooms.

Chiang Mai public health deputy chief Surasing Wisarutrat said that four villagers in Chiang Dao district died of toxicity after consuming poisonous mushrooms and patients have been admitted at several hospitals in the province.

The medical doctor warned the public to avoid eating unknown varieties of mushrooms that they gathered in the forest, as a number of local residents mistook poisonous mushrooms for edible types.

On Friday, six persons in the northern province of Nan died after eating poisonous mushrooms, while medical staff are monitoring the condition of three other patients.

Forty-seven patients were admitted to Nan hospitals after eating mushrooms and having toxic reactions, with 17 people being severe cases.

Consuming mushrooms results in toxins entering the bloodstream, where they destroy the liver and kidneys.

--TNA 2007-05-27

I find that one of the joys of picking and eating naturally occuring mushrooms is the excitement of not knowing if I will live or die.....its a real rush!!!!! So far I've got a perfect record and have never died....but I guess there is a first time for everything?....or is there?

Straw mushrooms are very distinctive in appearance and my Thai wife has been picking them all her life....except for when she is sleeping or showering.

chownah

I find that one of the joys of picking and eating naturally occuring mushrooms is the excitement of not knowing if I will live or die.....its a real rush!!!!! So far I've got a perfect record and have never died....but I guess there is a first time for everything?....or is there?

Straw mushrooms are very distinctive in appearance and my Thai wife has been picking them all her life....except for when she is sleeping or showering.

chownah

If you have an argument with the wife or take out a new insurance policy probably best to stay off the mushrooms for a while then......

chownah

If you have an argument with the wife or take out a new insurance policy probably best to stay off the mushrooms for a while then......

Are they rounded, brownish on top with reddish overtones, and turn blue in the flesh when broken? If so, you may be in for a real laughable trip. They're not you say, oh darn!! We called them schrooms!

Seriously, my wife's brother grows them this way in his yard. Even had 'rooms in March. Seems like the straw or ground under it would need to be seeded with spores from mature mushrooms to be sure of getting them to grow.