Barbaric’: Returning citizens who live abroad will need permission to leave Australia

I guess I wont be seeing family for quite a while..........:coffee1:

The federal government will now require Australians who live abroad to apply for an exemption to return to their homes in a move some expats have branded as “barbaric”.

Until now, residents of other countries who are Australian are allowed to leave the country without applying for an exemption

But on Thursday the government quietly changed the rule, effective from August 11, claiming it was a loophole.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/australia-says-it-will-lock-in-returning-citizens-who-permanently-live-abroad-20210805-p58gb9.html

Edited by sanuk711

9 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I have an Australian friend living here in Thailand. He seems unable to return to Australia without spending massive $$$$. Is he a special case or has Australia abandoned their expats?

For the last 20 years all Australian governments Federal, state or local have been under constant pressure, for many reasons, with the resulting instability becoming an unpleasant feature. So these OTT travel restrictions can be understood, they are indeed highly unpleasant, but one can still travel, with some homework [thinking} to be done upfront.