Gps Maps Of Thailand

There have been a number of comments regarding routing GPS maps of Thailand. Some of those comments were regarding the expense [and often inaccuracy] of the current maps or alternatively, regarding the unreliability of maps available from public sources.

For any users of GPS units resident in Thailand or planning to visit there who do not have maps or are displeased with the ones they have, a new set of Thailand maps are now available for all Garmin GPS devices.

The maps are VERY accurate, fully routing, and updated on a regular basis.

For any of you interested in these maps, please visit:

http://rotweilermaps.com

For further information, feel free to contact me.

Rotweiler

First point is the maps are offered free of charge yet the download links to a paypal 'donation' that I cant seem to find a download without doing.. Are they offered free or not ?? I understand charging for work or site etc but I also cannot see the downloads to trial it.

Secondly how do these compare with the garmin mapsource ones that are installed on many devices..

LivinLOS: Kind of difficult to do a "trial" with the actual maps.... The page suggests to email me of your interest. Did I perhaps miss your email?

I many respects, the maps are better than the ones that come installed or with many Garmin devices. They are certainly more updated - especially in the Chiang Mai and South Thailand areas. Price is a lot better too.... :o

First point is the maps are offered free of charge yet the download links to a paypal 'donation' that I cant seem to find a download without doing.. Are they offered free or not ?? I understand charging for work or site etc but I also cannot see the downloads to trial it.

Secondly how do these compare with the garmin mapsource ones that are installed on many devices..

I would be interested in seeing a sample. Not a huge map but the area around where I live. I live out in the boonies so I will know what roads should be there.

I would be interested in seeing a sample. Not a huge map but the area around where I live. I live out in the boonies so I will know what roads should be there.

An excellent idea, Gary A! A sample is now posted on the site, the sample map covers an area many (most?) should be familiar with - the Sukhumvit Road area, from Ploenchit South-East including Soi Cowboy.

Go to http://rotweilermaps.com/maps.cfm (the Maps Page) and see the top of the maps list.

Again, feedback would be appreciated.

Edited by Rotweiler

An excellent idea, Gary A! A sample is now posted on the site, the sample map covers an area many (most?) should be familiar with - the Sukhumvit Road area, from Ploenchit South-East including Soi Cowboy.

Go to http://rotweilermaps.com/maps.cfm (the Maps Page) and see the top of the maps list.

Story of my life, day late and dollar short. I left my Garmin 2620 in Pattaya at Garmin dealer to have Thailand map installed at cost of B13900, I could not find any other source, now I did, is it possible to install both versions?

Story of my life, day late and dollar short. I left my Garmin 2620 in Pattaya at Garmin dealer to have Thailand map installed at cost of B13900, I could not find any other source, now I did, is it possible to install both versions?

Yes - One at a time of course... (each new install will over-write the other).

By the way, the horrendous price that is charged for Thailand GPS maps is the reason we have been working for years at this project...

Edited by Rotweiler

Rotweiler Posted on:2006-07-28 00:12:14

I am a self-admitted GPS phreak. Since we are coming to Thailand again for 3 months this winter, am looking at purchasing a Garmin eTrex Legend Cx or Venture Cx in either Singapore or Thailand (yes, I know Singapore might be a bit cheaper...) .... BUT - the unit must be equipped with the Thailand City Select 6.7 mapset - which I understand COULD also be available in Singapore.

Can anyone assist me with possible sources (either in BKK or SIN).

Thank you in advance for your input.

Rotweiler

Rotweiler Posted on 2007-05-29 06:01:14

Yes - One at a time of course... (each new install will over-write the other).

By the way, the horrendous price that is charged for Thailand GPS maps is the reason we have been working for years at this project...

So I got that right, you made a GPS Map for Garmin devices of more then 90 MB yourself which you will give free of charge to anyone, who donates 100 bucks for you....?

Thanks for that but I am interested in Loei province and in particular the Nong Hin area. Nokia has a map in their N-95 phone that covers Bangkok but I don't live in Bangkok.

Rotweiler,

please declare whether you 'expect' people to 'pay' for your maps via donation or not. If you make clear to the members of your board that they are NOT obligated to pay ANYTHING - even for the cost of the internet, then I'll let this thread run.

If not, or there is no reply to this post, then I'll assume this post is of a commerical nature and I'll close it by the end of today and recommend you get in contact with admins to advertise on the site.

Regards

Samran.

Rotweiler,

please declare whether you 'expect' people to 'pay' for your maps via donation or not. If you make clear to the members of your board that they are NOT obligated to pay ANYTHING - even for the cost of the internet, then I'll let this thread run.

If not, or there is no reply to this post, then I'll assume this post is of a commerical nature and I'll close it by the end of today and recommend you get in contact with admins to advertise on the site.

Regards

Samran.

There has been considerable interest in alternative maps to the ones being sold with Garmin GPS units in Thailand. My posting was to indicate to those interested that options do exist.

Yes, I expect a donation for the right to download the maps from my site. For the benefit of the members here, many of them are available “free” at many GPS mapping sites (although registration obligations exist at some sites).

I sincerely apologize if my post was considered advertising (or ‘spam’, as a moderator put it in a PM.). If I broke the site’s rules with my posting, I am sorry. The information gained from this site has been of great benefit to me in the past and I regret any apprehended error.

Rotweiler,

Regards

Samran.

There has been considerable interest in alternative maps to the ones being sold with Garmin GPS units in Thailand. My posting was to indicate to those interested that options do exist.

Yes, I expect a donation for the right to download the maps from my site. For the benefit of the members here, many of them are available “free” at many GPS mapping sites (although registration obligations exist at some sites).

I sincerely apologize if my post was considered advertising (or ‘spam’, as a moderator put it in a PM.). If I broke the site’s rules with my posting, I am sorry. The information gained from this site has been of great benefit to me in the past and I regret any apprehended error.

Thanks for the update. As you have suggested, the expectation for payment suggests a commercial aspect to your site.

Thread closed.