Ford Everest Rust Issues

pj123

I have been reading comments on the Australian Everest Club Facebook page where a number of members have reported rust on the inside of doors and the rear hatch that appears 3-5 years from new. Seems to be mostly 2015-17 models. It appears to be a widely known problem and in many cases Ford is replacing all the doors even out of waranty. Has anyone experienced this here in Thailand? I ask as I am thinking about purchasing a used Everest.

Edited by pj123

We have had an MY15 T+ from new and have done about 42,000 km.

I’m a member of Australian Ford Everest Forum and the similar one here in Thailand.

I am aware of that issue and have checked our car a few times including just now…I have never been able to find any evidence of rust underneath the paint similar to what you have shown.

We have been very pleased with the Everest.

The thing that you need to check for is a smell inside the car. If it has one then it’s quite a big job to sort and I had to contribute towards some of the cost. If you want to see what is involved to change all the insulation PM me your email address.

Also check for an oil leak from the rear engine oil seal. Most of the early 3.2Ltr Everests had this problem. Ours was changed at 15,000 km and it’s OK.

You might be better off buying one that was built in 2016 or later because they have sync 3.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pj123 said:

Thank you that's helpful. Has anyone in the Thai FB group  raised this issue?

I only contribute or ask questions in english.. so don’t know.

Forgot to mention the EGR cooler issue… plenty on the Australia forum about it.

It can rain fora  few days in parts of Australia and take many days for the dampness to dry out (or perhaps these guys in Oz would take their vehicles to the beach. If there in any weakness in the paint structure, it will be found out - especially those who park outside all the time. Modern cars really shouldn't have this problem at all. 

46 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Yes, I didn't know what a EGR cooler was until I read the posts. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 6:17 PM, JAS21 said:

I had a look at the Thailand Everest FB page and found many complaints about rust but not the same as Australia. I did find 4 owners reporting rust on door edges but 12 reported rust on the lower sill of the rear hatch. Model years 2015-18. Some photos. Have you the same issue? It can be hidden behind the rubber seal but the problem appears to be water leaking into the sill. 

Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 20.56.50.png

Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 20.56.23.png

Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 20.48.59.png

Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 20.48.45.png

Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 20.45.22.png

7 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Yes it has ... better go and talk to Ford I guess

rust.JPG.7d1ec81df499b1614503797f43168b7b.JPG

Unfrtunate. Does the paint appear thin in that area? It may not have the full coating paint applied in that area as it's hidden. You may need to check all of the seals. Can you claim it or is it out of warranty now? 

39 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Unfrtunate. Does the paint appear thin in that area? It may not have the full coating paint applied in that area as it's hidden. You may need to check all of the seals. Can you claim it or is it out of warranty now? 

My interest in this issue is because I am considering buying a used Everest and was doing some research for what to look out for when looking at used cars. The problem with the rear hatch is water leaking into that area. It should not be getting wet but it does. On later models Ford applied a white sealant between the frame and the rubber seal to reduce the problem but it has made no difference. You can see it in this image highlighted by the rust! So ugly and a cheap cheap solution by Ford. The water still gets in.  1239974721_Screenshot2021-08-23at20_48_59.thumb.png.2ae3925dd5c50754cfe43bbe2f8ad067.png

9 hours ago, pj123 said:

One creative owner on the Thai Ford Everest Facebook page has this remedy:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/EverestClubThailand/posts/2900730083535234/

Its in Thai but the pictures are explanatory.

Yes it looks like Ford slapped some of that white stuff on at a service and never told me of the problem.

Now it is a bigger job to fix properly…whatever is done it needs watching in the future.

Cleaning up and applying Hammerite iwould be a good option I think followed by some sort of gunge.

Having said that I think the Everest is a very good example of body on frame. 

And we have no intention of selling. 42,xxx kms only

27 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Cleaning up and applying Hammerite iwould be a good option I think followed by some sort of gunge.

Something I was thinking about IF i went ahead and purchased but you still have the significant corrosion problem in the doors. Four Thai Ford Everest Facebook members report this issue. In the Australian Ford Everest Group one member reports that two of the new replacement doors ordered by their dealership arrived with corrosion!

My wife and I checked our doors and definitely no problem … I could fix the issue we have but will contact Ford and see what they suggest.

mine has some sort of plastic over the bottom of the doors, I’ll take a photo and show.

i’ll send it to your registered email address then I don’t have to resize the pics.

I think there are quite a number of Everest’s for sale… maybe best to find one with no rust problem.

3 hours ago, pj123 said:

I just had a look at two Everests at a tent in Pathumthani. Both 2016 4WD 3.2. One white, one silver. The silver car has corrosion on all four doors. No sign of corrosion on the white car. 

Lucky ours is white then. What about under the hatch rubber, any white gunge?