Are we entering this wrong moment during our residency in Thailand or not ?

An article that appeared today on NIKKEI ASIA caught my attention, the US now consider Thailand lost and Indonesia fallen under the influence of China and therefore the new Biden administration has excluded any ministerial contact with these two countries. It seems that diplomatic foreign Minister Switzerland with its recent visit from its foreign ministry has resumed contact as a neutral intermediary as for Iran. We expatriates living in Thailand what does this mean for us in our near future? Will Thailand enforce strict control over all its inhabitants as in China? Or will it be tolerant of expats? International tourism is increasingly losing the support of Western countries but is gaining more and more popularity in Russia and China as the new 10-year visa under discussion seems more destined for these two countries. Obviously, the purchase of arms from China and Russia seems to indicate the current tendencies of the government but we expats would be tolerated by this tendency of alliance with these two countries. History is full of examples of the fate reserved for extraneous inhabitants to the economic and military alliances of citizens residing in the wrong countries at the wrong time. It would be interesting to know what  expats  think those who currently live and work in China.

Are we entering this wrong moment during our residency in Thailand?

Or are you convinced that nothing will change maybe because immigration needs too much expats for many other reasons?  

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/Biden-s-Asia-policy/Subtle-threat-to-ASEAN-US-indifference-to-Indonesia-and-Thailand

• Confused 8
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

oh my... yes, things will always change and if they don't - you will... 

you sound rather distressed and paranoid... 

I have been here full time for 20 years and off and on for 45... and other than covid, which has changed the world, not much has changed mine - my world is determined by myself and my response to the world around me... 

Turn off the 'my pillow guy' and gets some rest... if you want conspiracies there a million out there, or you can just have a nice day.. 

This fixated Occidental paranoia and suspiciousness regarding anything Chinese/China [for generations upon generations] is quite something to behold. 

• Like 2

There’s a huge difference between China and Thailand. Communism. The two countries are worlds apart . Yes, Thailand is invaded by Chinese tourists and investors and also Russian . It’s a money thing. If a farang hating government comes into being , probably a lot of expats would move away. The world is big, Thailand isn’t the only choice . 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

Total nonsence article....Biden considers Thailand lost, then why would the Biden Administration send vaccines here, or indeed maintain the US Embassy in Thailand. 

To pander to Senator Duckworth. Without her he doesn't have the senate votes needed for his agenda.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I can see Thailand moving ever closer to China and its form of government. It already has a military-led government which is all but impossible to remove after it re-wrote the constitution, and it is passing laws to ensure its leaders can't be held responsible for anything, much like the way African dictatorships operate. Despite the pretense that it is a freely elected government (a claim that fools nobody), the PM lives in an army barracks. In what other 'democracy' does that happen?

How much it will impact foreigners is difficult to tell, but Asia does have a record of closing doors to foreigners, especially China and Japan. Thailand has been slowly turning the screws on foreigners, certainly in the 25 or so years I've been here, and the current regime has been doing its very best to kill off the tourist trade, first by ignoring scams run by the 'untouchables', and more recently by making onerous demands upon those who want to enter the country.

My main fear in the short term is if our dear health minister takes over as the next PM, as has been touted. I can't see him having anything other than a deep resentment of foreigners, as he has already indicated. That could turn very nasty. If I didn't have roots here I'd be on the next plane out.

I have little against the people but I, like many Thais, are less than enamored with those in charge.

I agree with you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, geisha said:

There’s a huge difference between China and Thailand. Communism. The two countries are worlds apart . Yes, Thailand is invaded by Chinese tourists and investors and also Russian . It’s a money thing. If a farang hating government comes into being , probably a lot of expats would move away. The world is big, Thailand isn’t the only choice . 

You have never see one communist country I suppose.

Edited by BE88
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, rwill said:

The US government is still working with Thailand.

As an expat I haven't noticed any changes to my life other than the current covid restrictions.

Afghanistan also yesterday, but we are lucky not Taliban around LOL

Edited by BE88
1 hour ago, Mayhem11 said:

Oh the confusion among the muddle headed wombats about geopolitical matters. It is not about ideology (ie democracy or Communism), it is about economic spheres of influence. That’s right money.

Yes same thinks only change the name democracy and dictatorship every one have influence for the big political mafia control this two sphere of influence.

5 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

oh my... yes, things will always change and if they don't - you will... 

you sound rather distressed and paranoid... 

I have been here full time for 20 years and off and on for 45... and other than covid, which has changed the world, not much has changed mine - my world is determined by myself and my response to the world around me... 

Turn off the 'my pillow guy' and gets some rest... if you want conspiracies there a million out there, or you can just have a nice day.. 

You probably don't know the denial of reality, glass you LoL

• Sad 1

On September 25, 2020, the United States began construction of a new U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai. America first established its Chiang Mai Consulate 70 years ago and has designed its new compound to last at least another 70 years.  With the oldest foreign consulate in northern Thailand, the United States has long collaborated with Thai partners to cure diseases, fight drug trafficking, and create jobs.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-consulate-general-chiang-mai-groundbreaking-ceremony-of-the-new-consulate-compound/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...
On 8/16/2021 at 4:39 PM, Aussieroaming said:

Total nonsence article....Biden considers Thailand lost, then why would the Biden Administration send vaccines here, or indeed maintain the US Embassy in Thailand. 

Haven't read the article, but could imagine that Biden doesn't see Thailand anymore as a staunch ally in the 'big geopolitical game between the U.S. and China', but more like a 'neutral' country at best, or a potential ally of China at worst.

With China's extensive cash-diplomacy not surprising at all. Or as a proverb from my country says: "Whose bread I eat, that person's praise song I sing."

Edited by StayinThailand2much