Thai man who threw explosives at kamnan's house can't be prosecuted due to mental illness

webfact

9pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported on what they said was the "scary" case of a man called Diaw in a village in Chum Het sub-district of Buriram in Thailand's north east who threw an explosive device (ping pong bomb) at a kamnan's house on Wednesday night.

In addition Diaw damaged CCTV equipment and stole a fire extinguisher from the house of the local official. 

Police took him to hospital for a mental evaluation. 

Despite clear evidence of wrong doing they can't prosecute him because of mental illness. 

9pm1.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Nit, 63, his mother spoke of a long history of mental illness. She said her son used to be okay and sold furniture in Bangkok.

But when he started taking drugs of some kind, she thought, all that changed. He returned home and had some treatment but wouldn't take his meds and now even his family are scared of him.

Sanook said he had taken illicit substances and had a paranoid attack. 

They made much of the huge number of amulets, charms and statues in Diaw's house. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

30 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

So easy than.. a lot of Thai have a mental illness, convenient to use if they are arrested

Just last week a glue head that lives across the street stole 20 chickens from another neighbor  and sold them. He was caught , they beat the <deleted> out of him and decided to take him to the police station, He was back home the next day because the police said he was mentally ill.  So he just got away with it and the neighbor is out 20 chickens.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaitom said:

Just last week a glue head that lives across the street stole 20 chickens from another neighbor  and sold them. He was caught , they beat the <deleted> out of him and decided to take him to the police station, He was back home the next day because the police said he was mentally ill.  So he just got away with it and the neighbor is out 20 chickens.

But I bet he doesn't go back there for another 20.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

But I bet he doesn't go back there for another 20.

He will try to be more careful i'm sure. My street has several thieves, years ago I caught a boy from across the street upstairs in my home he found about 10,000. it just so happens I went upstairs to get my phone for his sister to use. I beat the <deleted> out of him. His father asked me not to call the police. And yes, he is also mentally ill these days from speed and glue.  He is still scared of me.

• Like 1

My BIL is mentally ill, according to the medics. He couldn't be prosecuted for attacking people in the village with machetes. They wouldn't section him. Not sure if that's a well known term outside UK. It means place him in mental institution. Forever. Same as nephew next door, talks to himself, and when high on drugs, destroyed his mother's kitchen, cut down the trees in their garden, is violent towards his sister... In jail for possession with intent, now, though. So much for mental illness...I guess his was drug induced.

What's a ping pong bomb?

Edited by Scott Tracy