Sending money to partner from Australia……limits, complications, risks…?

mikey88

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice from long term expats…

I’m stuck in Australia at present because of COVID.

I want to send a large sum to my partner in Chiang Mai….maybe a million at the moment.

My partner works full time but with a low wage…maybe 12,000 a month…so no tax.

My question is:  Is there a possibility this money transfer will create problems…?

Particularly tax problems for them…?

Any experience greatly appreciated…

Thanks…

monito.com will compare several money transfer services.  Remitly rate is deceiving because they don't take anything off the top of the exchange for your first transaction.  Their exchange rate is considerably lower than wise.com for subsequent transactions, but still better than western union.

After recently looking into this myself I concluded that wise.com is probably the best for bank to bank transactions where it is going to an exising bank account.  They don't do cash pickup service.  Remitly is probably best for cash pickup since their rate is better than western union.

Edited by shdmn
  • Thanks 1

I use Transferwise (now Wise) from Australia, and paid with Commbank And Citibank, no issues. If you transfer a large amount you may have the transfer delayed a bit, and you may need to provide extra info for money laundering checks.

I transfer money internationally to my Bangkok bank account, and then use iBanking to transfer internally (usually small amounts).

• Thanks 1