Acer swift or Lenovo Yoga or ?

notrub

I wouldn't bother all you with this except for a lock down distraction.  I just wrote to ask about mini computers and realized that would be more complicated than simply buying a new laptop (and could be more costly too).  So I started browsing a bit looking at the under 20k variety.  Then realized that under 25k would be more realistic is I wanted SSD storage.  The AMD Ryzen processors are very popular now and are giving Intel a run for their money.  The Acer seems OK and has 512 SSD and a 7 series AMD processor and costs about 25k.  The Lenovo Yoga has 1 TB SSD and a 9 series processor etc and is about 38k..  Both have 14" screens.  To keep my budget under control I always think of THB as Euros so this all seems like a lot of money.  In fact the Acer is about 650 Euros and the Yoga is about 1000.  So, neither of them are in the gold watch category.  I am leaning toward the Yoga as the reviews are stellar and it is not really that much more costly.  However, I thought I would ask for your comments before making the plunge.  I am open to all suggestions regards make, model, processor etc..  Except I don't really want to go for an apple product (not familiar with them) or a tablet option.  Thanks very much in advance.  Hope you are all bearing up.     

That is not the way to buy a laptop. Read the news; don't just look at the headlines.

Headline: Ryzen 7 512GB SSD!!

In the body of the news; Ryzen 7 4th Gen, crappy low spec NVMe SSD, low brightness, poor colour reproduction TN screen or maybe IPS or similar, but similarly low spec. USB 3.2 Gen 1 instead of USB 3.2 Gen 2. Thunderbolt 3 instead of Thunderbolt 4. Three Cell battery as opposed to a higher amount.... The list goes on.

Well, yes it is not best to buy off the internet relying on YT reviews but all the computer shops around here are closed just now.  Another thing is that I am not a gamer so I don't really know how important it is to focus on processor speed.  I have an HP Pavilion now and exchanging the HDD for a SSD made a big difference in start up time etc.   It has been that Thailand has not really had the selection of PCs as in the US, for example but I am finding that Acer, Lovono, Asus and some others are offering high spec (relatively) PCs at lower prices than the US esp. considering shipping costs. I was just seeing if someone has a great idea for a PC that they have had a good experience with.  That is how I bought this HP PC.  Anyway, thanks for your time.  Take care.

I have no idea how you got YT involved in the conversation ????

I'll repeat; check the spec in detail. Otherwise you risk getting a great looking processor with an absolutely cr@p screen, for an instance or an HDD fitted or some other cheap components that allow them to have good headlines.

Processor speed really isn't that important to you; Ryzen 5 5000 series likely enough for you. Then you actually look at the other components. 

Here for instance is a laptop that specifically mention screen quality: https://www.dell.com/th/p/inspiron-14-7400-laptop/pd

A screen designed to stun
Maximum screen: A 16:10 aspect ratio screen adds 13.2% more space to the 14.5" display over the previous generation with a 14.0" display1, so you can enjoy an increased viewing area and visual working space. 4-sided narrow borders and a screen-to-body ratio that is 4.9% greater than the prior generation ensures you won't miss a single detail.

A sight to behold: QHD+ resolution provides a crisp, beautiful image for you to immerse yourself in.

Every shade: Take full advantage of HDR content’s superior dynamic range with Dolby Vision™, which can deliver colors never before seen on SDR PC displays. Dolby™ Vision content can deliver highlights that are up to 40 times brighter, and blacks that are up to 10 times darker.2

Pure brilliance 100% sRGB color coverage displays a wide array of colors, and 300 nits of brightness provides brilliant luminance for use in bright areas or outdoors.

So better at displaying colours. Brighter. Higher than the usual 16:9 narrow screens.

So less focus on the processor since midrange now is more than enough for average usage and more focus on certain qualities.

You need to decide which is best for your usage.

• Like 1

Thanks.  YT is You Tube where I read about lots of things including product reviews.  I don't use the screen except when typing this note.  I have a dedicated Samsung 32" TV connected all the time.  I am not wealthy and I try to keep spending under control.  But, I find myself agonizing over one or another product or service choosing the 'best deal' when, in the case of a new PC, the difference is a few hundred EUR which I can afford.  What I am most interested in is value for money and getting the 'best bang for the buck'.  So I would choose a PC with SSD over a HDD as I understand the difference.  But I don't know about USB connectivity speed, for example,  and cannot select a PC based on that.  As mentioned, I am not a gamer, so 'blistering fast' does not attract me at all but when I start up an older PC (of which I have a few) it is a bit frustrating to wait for what seems to be ten minutes before starting up and going online.  Thanks for the comment about Rysen 5 500.  That can be a cornerstone along with the 14" screen (and a few other things).  I am normally a careful consumer and circle a (big) purchase for some time before making the plunge, except when I don't.  The Acer Swift SF314-43-R9X8 AMD Ryzen 7 5700U/8GB/512G SSDis looking pretty good and has a 3 year guarantee.  At under 25k in fits into my 'frugal' category too.  Thanks again for your comments. 

• Thanks 1

I wish  you all the best should you be unfortunate enough to decide on a Lenovo.   I  have owned  three computers in my short   life  of   using   these new fangled machines,  and    my present one, a Lenovo, costing just under 19000 baht  some 6 months ago  has aged me considerably ..Three times it has been back for repair,   at a cost, so far,  in excess of  7000 baht. Warranty you ask, whats a warranty in Thailand look like.???      I have a friend who also bought one of these Chinese disasters, and has suffered similar problems.  As he has far  more money then me,  he  has bought  another, different make of course, and uses his Lenovo as a door stop now. Says it works  very good  in that use.

• Like 1

I have a swift 5 since jan 2020 which is similar a bit higher spec than the swift 3 . Screen size 15 inch.
No problems, very good. Highly recommended.
Note that it does not have a CD drive, but you don't really need one much now.
The similar swift 5 model is upgraded now and more expensive than you need.

The swift 3 is extremely lightweight like the 5. The SSD is a must, far faster.
I recently identified a price about 23k,
Quick search now. For SF314 price is around 24k Baht
Do not get the cheaper 256 GB HDD. Look for the 512 SSD.

There is an SF316 with larger screen but extra 6k baht. Probably not worth spending the extra money unless you need the bigger screen. 

Happily, I have just ordered an Acer Swift X SFX14-41G-R73W AMD Ryzen 7 5700U/16GB/512GB SSD/GTX1650 4GB/14" that came in at just under 32k baht delivered from Lazada..  It is pretty much best in class from many reviewers on You Tube.  I wanted the AMD ryzen so that was a game changer when considering HP (which I have now and like too.)  The price is what you would pay in the US nic delivery.  It comes with a 3yr warranty too.    So, thanks very much for your interest and comments.  Take care

15 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

I wish  you all the best should you be unfortunate enough to decide on a Lenovo.   I  have owned  three computers in my short   life  of   using   these new fangled machines,  and    my present one, a Lenovo, costing just under 19000 baht  some 6 months ago  has aged me considerably ..Three times it has been back for repair,   at a cost, so far,  in excess of  7000 baht. Warranty you ask, whats a warranty in Thailand look like.???      I have a friend who also bought one of these Chinese disasters, and has suffered similar problems.  As he has far  more money then me,  he  has bought  another, different make of course, and uses his Lenovo as a door stop now. Says it works  very good  in that use.

What problems did you and your friend have with your Lenovos?

The Levono Yoga looked good but it has not HDMI port and that put a - on the decision table.  I know I could cast to the TV without it but I would have had to get a dongle for my non smart monitor.  Anyway, its done now, an Acer is on the way.  Thanks for your comment.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, notrub said:

The Levono Yoga looked good but it has not HDMI port and that put a - on the decision table.  I know I could cast to the TV without it but I would have had to get a dongle for my non smart monitor.  Anyway, its done now, an Acer is on the way.  Thanks for your comment.

TBH, it seems as if you lost sight of the goal along the way....

A cheap laptop is starting to look like a pretty good deal as it just needs to be taken from the box and plugged in.

32k just for something to plug into a TV?!

So instead of sitting back in your armchair with a wireless keyboard; you are fiddling around on a tiny laptop, paying for a screen that you don't need, with a graphics card that has to perform under sub-optimal conditions.

A Mini PC; Example: https://www.asus.com/th/Displays-Desktops/Mini-PCs/PN-PB-series/Mini-PC-PN50/ would have been a much better fit at half the price.

Though I would have gone for a PN51 or near equivalent, as the above is last year's model.

• Like 1

Kee Tua,,, Im not a computer geek, but my Lenovo  seemed to have every problem imaginable. Jumping out of programmes was  a main thing, frequent jamming,  refusing to connect with my printer, and  when,  wouldnt print correct page... The technical terms  are beyond me, but my  friend  tells me he has  similar problems, or rather  did have, till he got rid of it. I bought it direct from a large  shop  dealing in computers,  On taking it back I was told I would have to send it myself to an agent in Bangkok, whom I had never heard of, at my expense.  Even now it  stumbles along, I  try not to use it often now. I have previously owned Acers,,    never a problem, just   got old and  worn out.   I was  sweet talked into this thing.

23 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Yes, avoid Lenovo.  My Yoga was nothing but trouble, and the miss-named 'service centre' in Fortune Town are no use at all. 

Also - my business used to use many laptops for field staff, and Lenovo plus Dell are by far the least reliable.  Both have at home service agreements, and they need it!   At least Dell service is effective  I guess they get plenty of practice.

Of the other brands, Asus seem to be very reliable, Acer feel a bit cheaper, but also reliable, HP also good.  If spending my own money, I would avoid Lenovo and Dell.

We recently switched to Microsoft Surface - and so far they are working well.

1 hour ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

my Lenovo  seemed to have every problem imaginable. Jumping out of programmes was  a main thing, frequent jamming,  refusing to connect with my printer, and  when,  wouldnt print correct page... The technical terms  are beyond me, but my  friend  tells me he has  similar problems, or rather  did have, till he got rid of it. I bought it direct from a large  shop  dealing in computers,  On taking it back I was told I would have to send it myself to an agent in Bangkok

It sounds like you may have software issues including driver problems or with frequent jamming not enough memory for all your programs. Maybe the laptop itself, the hardware, is actually OK. When you took it back to the shop where you bought it they must have taken a look at it to get an idea of the problem before telling you to send it to Bangkok did they say what the problem was? I'm curious because I have a cheap ฿18000 Lenovo Ideapad that's over a year old that's been awesome but wondering if I should be aware of potential issues.

17 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

What is the full model number of your Lenovo? 

For what repairs did you pay?

You could have extended the warranty to an on-site version in so that they came to you. Still can if only six months in. But your paying for any repair sounds suspect.

7 hours ago, Henryford said:

I have had several Acers, 3 and 5, and they have all been great. Would not buy anything else now. The one Lenovo i bought died after 18 months. Would never buy another.

What was the cause of death for the Lenovo?

Hi again there Bruno.  Plugging in the TV was just one of the things on the plus side.  If I had noticed the DIY section of Lazada I might have been a bit more adventurous, but I didn't.  Anyway the (non smart) TV is just a monitor (I have just ordered a wifi dongle for it).  I don't have an armchair and cannot imagine balancing a keyboard on my kee to type anything.  I started using computers for my contracting business when non apple users were forced to somehow deal with DOS (Why on earth did we fall for the MS BS that Apple was not for 'serious' users?).  In the last few years I have accumulated 2 Asus and this HP and now a new Acer. Plus an Acer and Ipad for my niece. I did have a Mac but it burned down with my house in France years ago.  When we start to travel again I will take a PC with me and the little Acer will do the trick nicely.  The 15" HP is a little bulky, after all.  The Acer X is all that they promised and the learning curve with that is just about all my poor old brain can manage.  This HP works fine except for sticky keys so I can dip into the new one slowly adding programs and websites that I actually use, not just copying all the old junk that has accumulated on this one. 

This little note is to say how happy I am that this platform actually works.  I have gotten and given lots of information here over the years that, for me, has been very useful.  So, thank you all who have commented on this and other subjects.  This forum is a valuable tool that enables us to contact others as it is that we are all so spread out in this country where we are guests.  Thanks again, take care, notrub

On 8/18/2021 at 6:35 PM, HAPPYNUFF said:

Lenovo laptops are generally good, but it depends on the model. I have 4 Lenovo laptops at the moment - 2 X Thinkpads, `1 Lenovo Legion 5 and 1 cheap Lenovo Ideapad. The Ideapad was a cheap one - we bought it for my gf's business from Powerbuy for 12k baht, and it failed after 2 years. The rest are working perfectly..but they would cost 30k plus baht when bought new.

On 8/19/2021 at 6:37 PM, Kinnock said:

Yes, avoid Lenovo.  My Yoga was nothing but trouble, and the miss-named 'service centre' in Fortune Town are no use at all. 

Also - my business used to use many laptops for field staff, and Lenovo plus Dell are by far the least reliable.  Both have at home service agreements, and they need it!   At least Dell service is effective  I guess they get plenty of practice.

Of the other brands, Asus seem to be very reliable, Acer feel a bit cheaper, but also reliable, HP also good.  If spending my own money, I would avoid Lenovo and Dell.

We recently switched to Microsoft Surface - and so far they are working well.

It depends on the Dell model. The Dell XPS series are regarded as the best all round laptops available, but are pricey.

Here is one available at Powerbuy, 44k baht after 25% discount ????

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/dell-notbook-dell-xps13-9370-w56795604thw10_slbag-243421

Many of the digital nomads and other people moving a lot around have them.

2 hours ago, notrub said:

Hi again there Bruno.  Plugging in the TV was just one of the things on the plus side.  If I had noticed the DIY section of Lazada I might have been a bit more adventurous, but I didn't.  Anyway the (non smart) TV is just a monitor (I have just ordered a wifi dongle for it).  I don't have an armchair and cannot imagine balancing a keyboard on my kee to type anything.  I started using computers for my contracting business when non apple users were forced to somehow deal with DOS (Why on earth did we fall for the MS BS that Apple was not for 'serious' users?).  In the last few years I have accumulated 2 Asus and this HP and now a new Acer. Plus an Acer and Ipad for my niece. I did have a Mac but it burned down with my house in France years ago.  When we start to travel again I will take a PC with me and the little Acer will do the trick nicely.  The 15" HP is a little bulky, after all.  The Acer X is all that they promised and the learning curve with that is just about all my poor old brain can manage.  This HP works fine except for sticky keys so I can dip into the new one slowly adding programs and websites that I actually use, not just copying all the old junk that has accumulated on this one. 

This little note is to say how happy I am that this platform actually works.  I have gotten and given lots of information here over the years that, for me, has been very useful.  So, thank you all who have commented on this and other subjects.  This forum is a valuable tool that enables us to contact others as it is that we are all so spread out in this country where we are guests.  Thanks again, take care, notrub

All understood and am happy that the incident in France remains an amusing tale to tell.

I use my fourteen year old ACER as my travel device. Likely more useful now than it was when new. 

4 hours ago, notrub said:

The Acer X is all that they promised and the learning curve with that is just about all my poor old brain can manage.

Is Windows not still Windows no matter which make of laptop/PC you use?

Yes Kannikap, windows is the same but I am trying out BRAVE as a new browser with Ecosia as a search engine.  I am trying to use the familiar Google extensions such as gmail, keep, photo, maps, translate and a bunch of others that are useful without getting too close to chrome.  I have also found Drive, translate and Docs easy to use and there remains years of information in those files.  When I started up this HP when new I just transferred my bookmarks and favourite programs and extensions and in doing that I transferred a lot of junk and bloatware too.   On this computer, the HP, I have google and firefox browsers with duck duck go search engines and Brave browser with Ecosia search (very recently).  I am going to try to keep the new Acer less cluttered even if I do wind up having 3 browsers installed but have not got far with that yet.  On one of the old Asus laptops I have been fooling around with Linux and their new windows look alike efforts but without a computer buddy nearby that is proving to be too much for me.  

One thing that I find frustrating is that Microsoft try to steer you into using Edge and Bing and Google keep stuffing Chrome into the picture whenever they can.  It drives me crazy when a password is required for 'your account' without them being clear if it is the google or MS account that they are referring to and that can lead you (me) down a path where passwords must be reset.  That leads to problems when using other computers that are mine.  Drive and google photos store lots of stuff in the 'cloud' but I don't know if these are the best options with so many others available now.    Dropbox and MS OneDrive spring to mind.

So, that is what I refer to when mentioning my poor old brain.  I always had a computer guy either on staff or nearby when I had a business but those days are long gone.  I keep fiddling around trying to solve little problems and, like picking at a scab, it sometimes ends in tears. 

On that happy note I will close.  Thanks again for your interest.  Take care.