My MacBook has gone moldy!!

lemonjelly

Mods: Sorry if this needs moving, I couldn’t find the right forum. 
Anyway, my 2011 MacBook which has served me well has started going moldy, that is mold has started rapidly spreading behind the glass on the screen. Has anyone else encountered anything like this and would anyone know if the mold would be on the glass or on the lcd coating itself and can it be cleaned or is the lcd coating going to be ruined? The laptop itself is running fine and I don’t want to replace it unless I really have to.

Did you keep this in a draw or cupboard ?   I had a few things with rubber coatings go  gooey after leaving them in cupboards for a while.

There is also a tropical fungus that eats DVD's  and CD's   possibly that has started eating away at some sort of coating on the LCD screen.

Only thing to do is try to clean the screen either yourself if you are  confident to do it or at a repair shop.

27 minutes ago, johng said:

Did you keep this in a draw or cupboard ?   I had a few things with rubber coatings go  gooey after leaving them in cupboards for a while.

There is also a tropical fungus that eats DVD's  and CD's   possibly that has started eating away at some sort of coating on the LCD screen.

Only thing to do is try to clean the screen either yourself if you are  confident to do it or at a repair shop.

Just been quoted 8.5k or possibly cheaper if they can clean it, although they haven’t seen it yet and I don’t know if it’s still possible to get replacement screens for a 2011 model.

6 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

If it smells like vinegar it might be the vinegar syndrome. I just lost an expensive Monitor because of this. Did me take a while to find this reason. 

I don’t think so. I can see what looks like a living organism spreading, screen looks like a Petri dish 

3 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

I don’t think so. I can see what looks like a living organism spreading, screen looks like a Petri dish 

If it doesn't smell like vinegar then it's a different problem. My monitor smelled extremely like vinegar and all this happened very quick. 

• Like 1