Pickled Bamboo

KhunDennis

One of my very favorite Thai dishes is Naw Mai Dong, Pickled Bamboo. My wife makes this by thinly slicing the Bamboo and letting it pickle for a couple of days in water.

Put this in a pot with water add, onion, some Chiles, nice pork ribs, a cube of bullion, and some by macute leave.

Simmer this slowly until the pork is tender and juicy from the broth. If you like sour kraut this could be a good substitute. Also good with some sausage and potato simmered in it.

Yum!!! having some tonight. :o

It's tastey yes.But it makes your wee smell funny.

However, please, choose and buy your pickled bamboo from the reliable source/shop.Some Thai people are suffered from Clostridium botulinum toxin in pickled bamboo.(I saw it from news sometimes)

pickled bamboo is the main ingredient in gaeng soom...try making a pot ob dat sumtime an' not only yer pee will smell bad, lets talk about a highly unpleasant odour pervading the entire neighborhood :o

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Hello tutsiwarrior, I think you may be mistaken with the gaeng soom, smelling bad. It is a dish made with a fish that has been fried and then simmered in a soup that is sour , from lime or tamarind. Usually served in a fish shaped metal container with a flame under it. You add vegetables and cook it at the table.

My wife says that you are probably thinking of gaeng naw mai, which they add a scoop of the old favorite pa la , pickled fish, which does drive me out of the kitchen really fast. It could be a regional thing though, with different names.