Retirement visa and Covid insurance

The Bangkok Post the other day informed us that retirement visa holders now require USD100K Covid insurance. Is this correct? My private (AIA) insurance runs out this year as I pass 70 years. I am grandfathered into the Thai social security system and pay them monthly. Would this make any difference? I should next month get my second shot of Astra vaccine. I have to extend for another year in December. Is anyone else here in a similar position?

1 hour ago, DannyS1951 said:

The Bangkok Post the other day informed us that retirement visa holders now require USD100K Covid insurance. Is this correct?

The 100k covid insurance is required for your entry to Thailand.

Your in Thailand that insurance is not required.

Are your extensions to an original non O-A or non O?

• Like 1

quoteThe Bangkok Post the other day informed us that retirement visa holders now require USD100K Covid insurance. Is this correct? My private (AIA) insurance runs out this year as I pass 70 years unquote

----------------------------------------------------------

You do most likely have NOT a VISA but merely a EXTENSION OF STAY BASED ON RETIREMENT... Which is not a VISA...

I do also have AIA insurancies, actually 2 different... Both of them run out at 75 years of age, not 70 years of age. Are you really sure you will be kicked out at 70 already????

glegolo 

43 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

quoteThe Bangkok Post the other day informed us that retirement visa holders now require USD100K Covid insurance. Is this correct? My private (AIA) insurance runs out this year as I pass 70 years unquote

That was false info the posted months ago after a cabinet meeting approved some changes insurance requirement for certain visas and extension in principle.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That was false info the posted months ago after a cabinet meeting approved some changes insurance requirement for certain visas and extension in principle.

ubonjoe, could you confirm whether or not health insurance is needed for an annual retirement extension. Asking for a friend.  I have read conflicting reports on this but understand that the change has not been enforced yet. However, a few months a friend of my friend was hit up to show insurance at Chaengwattana when he did a retirement extension. 

12 minutes ago, GarryP said:

ubonjoe, could you confirm whether or not health insurance is needed for an annual retirement extension. Asking for a friend.  I have read conflicting reports on this but understand that the change has not been enforced yet. However, a few months a friend of my friend was hit up to show insurance at Chaengwattana when he did a retirement extension. 

At this time insurance is only required for extensions of a OA visa entry . I am sure that was the case in your friends case. That went into effect in October of 2019.

The new requirements mentioned in the cabinet resolution that was approved in principle is also only for those that have a OA visa or are getting extensions of a entry from one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The 100k covid insurance is required for your entry to Thailand.

Your in Thailand that insurance is not required.

Are your extensions to an original non O-A or non O?

OA visa requires Covid insurance.

$100,000 US.

For renewal.

Plus inpatient and outpatient minimum cover...

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

At this time insurance is only required for extensions of a OA visa entry . I am sure that was the case in your friends case. That went into effect in October of 2019.

The new requirements mentioned in the cabinet resolution that was approved in principle is also only for those that have a OA visa or are getting extensions of a entry from one.

Thanks for the quick response. 

18 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

OA visa requires Covid insurance.

$100,000 US.

For renewal.

Plus inpatient and outpatient minimum cover...

The OP, is already in Thailand. He is obtaining an extension.

Covid 100k insurance not required. 

• Like 2

Many thanks for all those who have answered both on the forum and by message. My visa is NON-O and dates to 1997. The reason for the extensions is now retirement although it was originally for Thai wife and I had a business and work permit. I was grandfathered into the social security as our company had all the staff in it. The social security department a few years ago insisted I retire and returned many years of contributions but encouraged me to rejoin as a retired person so I pay into it monthly.

Thanks to those that have told me the AIA insurance can be extended past 70 years. I will chase this up. The last two times I have extended my stay I took insurance documents from both the social security department and AIA to immigration but they were not wanted.

33 minutes ago, DannyS1951 said:

Thanks to those that have told me the AIA insurance can be extended past 70 years. I will chase this up. The last two times I have extended my stay I took insurance documents from both the social security department and AIA to immigration but they were not wanted.

You do not need medical insurance to apply for your extension since you are extending a entry from a non-o visa and it will not be required. It was not included in the cabinet resolution that was approved in principle and is only for those with OA visa or those extending a entry from one.