Alienation?

Here is a word which strikes fear into the hearts of some foreigners.

And, recently, due to the social isolation caused by tiny virus particles, some of us might suffer from minor feelings of alienation.

There is no need to feel alienated.

If you might consider yourself an alien, then just reach out to people around you who can help you.

Still, one thing that always puzzles me is, … Why would anyone choose to live in a foreign land, for the purpose of becoming an alien, if one did not actually wish to become an alien?

I mean, some of us enjoy being aliens, because otherwise, we would not choose to live in foreign lands, places where we know that we will surely be considered aliens.

We do not complain when some might call us farangS…or…a loong (ลุง)?

There are actually two meanings to the word loong, one very good, and one not so good.

Personally, I have always enjoyed being called a Foreign Uncle by my friends.

And, I have, so far, never experienced any feelings of alienation in Asia.

The closest I have come to feeling alienation in Asia was when I stayed one night at the Tokyo YMCA, fifty years ago. I would not wish to repeat that experience.

Tokyo is a place where even the locals feel alienated, I would imagine.  Probably, this is why they are almost universally addicted to the game of Pachinko.  And, they love the sound of steel balls.

Thailand is so much better than Tokyo, comfort-wise.

No steel balls.

No doubt, some of us are aliens, and some of us feel alienation. But, not me.

If you are in Thailand, and if you are reading this, then you know you are LUCKY!

In fact, you are blessed.