Visa Information

Hi,

Id like information regarding granting a visa for my wife.

We have been together a year and i have visited her home three times.

We married at the office in her city last month.

I have phone bills but i use thai cards plus a cheap number to call Thailand so her number does not show up, only txts.

We have photos of me and her together at her home with her family.

I have pay slips, proof of my visits, all the used thai phone cards, she has many packages with the stamp date on from where ive sent her gifts over the past year.

Im currently back at my mothers and my mother says she can wright a letter stating she will be staying at her home.

The problem is she has nothing on record of her work background, she worked in a bar for a few months before i met her a year ago.

I have proof i have supported her every month from my bank statements.

My wage is not the best so will this be a problem?

Is there a limit the embassy need you to be paid each month for granting visas?

Also we want to get her just a three month visa first, then in the future we would like to get her a visa to stay in England perminate.

But i know we have to take things slow and do things a step at a time.

So what visa do you think would be the best one to go for?

Please i need advise and your comments on this.

Thanks everyone..

To be honest, from what you have said here you have a better chance of being granted a settlement visa than a visitors visa purely because for a visitors visa you need to provide evidence that she will return to Thailand after her visit (and it seems you have none). However you have said that initially you only want her to visit so it's a visitors visa that you must apply for.

To apply for a settlement visa she must be planning to settle in UK and at this point in time that is not what you want. You should apply for the visa that fits your needs.

Think it over.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Hi,

A settlement visa would be great.

I just thought that if we tryed for that too early it make get rejected, thats why i thought we had to start at the bottom with just a visit.

How long do the settlement visas last for? we both want to settle down in England more than anything, but like i say, i thought we had to work our way up if you get me.

What are the prices for a settlement visa? and how long do they last?

Cheers.

A settlement visa will give your wife 2 years in UK but provided she meets certian criteria, like proving you are still living together and demonstratiing a knowledge of English and life in UK, at the end of the 2 years she can then apply for Indefinite leave to remain which as the name says will be indefinite.

See Settlement visa (INF4) notes

and Sponsors notes (INF3)

The cost to apply for a settlement visa is currently B36,000 and you apply through UK Visas in Bangkok.

After 2 years the cost to apply for ILR in UK is £750 + the cost of getting the "life in UK" qualifications.

Do we have a chance of just a three month visa to start, then later on in the year we can try for a settlement visa.

What form do i need for just a three month visit?

Thanks..

For a visit you need to complete a VAF 1 form and prove what is necessary in Info for visitors (INF 2) .

If you can provide a "reason to return" to Thailand then you also have a chance but can you?

Well she has no job to go back to so i suppose no mate.

She just helps out on the farm etc.

So on the information you have heard, would you say we have the best chance of a settlement visa?

Even though we are married can we still be refused a visa?

Also is it possible for her to get a job during the two years.

What about the money sittuation? i currently am only taking home £225 a week, Will this be a problem?

Thanks mate

So on the information you have heard, would you say we have the best chance of a settlement visa?

What about the money sittuation? i currently am only taking home £225 a week, Will this be a problem?

Thanks mate

Scotty

As I have already said, because her reason to return is weak but the evidence of your relationship is pretty strong, I think that you will be more likely to be approved a settlement visa, if you applied.

Sadly, yes, you can be refused even though you are married but given what you have stated and provided you make a comprehensive application I feel you have a good chance.

Money is not really a problem provided you are meeting your commitments at present and can provide accomodation for her on her arrival (you will need a letter from your mum and she will need to provide evidence that there is space and that she owns or rents the property and that it is suitable (or has permission) for an additional couple.)

On a settlement visa your wife can work (once she's in UK and applies for an NI number) but on a visitors visa she cannot work.

Good luck with it

EDIT

As you still seem to want her in UK as a 'trial' then even if she gets a settlement visa it is not a life sentence. She can leave or you can send her back but I'm sure that is not your plan right now.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Scotty,

You have to decide in your own mind whether your wife is coming for a visit or to settle. If you decide on a visit, it is going to be difficult for her to demonstrate that she will return to Thailand at the end of the stay, especially as you are now married and the visa officer might think that your wife is trying to get in on a visit visa, thereby avoiding paying the £500 fee for a settlement visa.

Even though you are married, your wife can still be refused a visa and there is no set figure which is required to sponsor your wife's application. However, it might well be that as you're living with your mother £225.00 is perfectly sufficient. Also, if your wife were to arrive on a settlement visa, you could then claim Working Tax Credit, so your income might in fact go up.

Scouse.

Well we want to settle in England together, thats for sure.

I just thought going in for a settlement visa would be too soon and get rejected as she has never been to England before.

But you guys know best, so thanks for the advise.

Just a couple more things.

Do you think paying an agent to make the visa would be easier? or should i make it myself?

Also do i have to be present with her while we make the visa? i meen can i send her all the relevent documents over and she could go to the embassy herself?

Also i opened another account ( no overdraft ) and gave her the card, that way i transfer money from my current account to my basic account which she uses to avoid the £20 bank charges i recieve if i transfered to her thai bank account.

I will put money in the basic account which she uses for her air ticket.

That way i can show the last 6 months statements from my current account plus i can also show the last 6 months statements from my basic account which she uses.

The basis account statements will show i support her every month plus will show funds available for the air ticket.

Sorry to ramble on and on, just want to make this right.

Thanks....

Hi,

Id like information regarding granting a visa for my wife.

We have been together a year and i have visited her home three times.

We married at the office in her city last month.

I have phone bills but i use thai cards plus a cheap number to call Thailand so her number does not show up, only txts.

We have photos of me and her together at her home with her family.

I have pay slips, proof of my visits, all the used thai phone cards, she has many packages with the stamp date on from where ive sent her gifts over the past year.

Im currently back at my mothers and my mother says she can wright a letter stating she will be staying at her home.

The problem is she has nothing on record of her work background, she worked in a bar for a few months before i met her a year ago.

I have proof i have supported her every month from my bank statements.

My wage is not the best so will this be a problem?

Is there a limit the embassy need you to be paid each month for granting visas?

Also we want to get her just a three month visa first, then in the future we would like to get her a visa to stay in England perminate.

But i know we have to take things slow and do things a step at a time.

So what visa do you think would be the best one to go for?

Please i need advise and your comments on this.

Thanks everyone..

scotty, with the proof of support you have been giving her, the fact that that you have been back three times in a year, your photos etc it should be plenty to get a settlement visa, usually most immigration sections of various countries are looking for 2 main things, one is evidence of a continous genuine relationship to the exclusion of all others and secondly that if a visa is granted the person is not going to be a drain on the countries social security system ie assurances of support in the way of sponsorship from the spouse, this entails having somewhere to live, being employed, and having enough cash to be self sufficient without the need for welfare.

living with your mum etc will not matter as long as your mum approves of what your doing as living there would be unbearable for your wife if she doesnt

i was in a similar situation in aust, and we lived with my mother for 2 years until we were financially secure enough to buy a house.

generally the amount you earn doesnt come into question as long as you can afford to pay the fees they are usually happy

Thanks Boof,

Yes a settlement visa is the best option i think.

When were together in England we can both be working and saving for a place of our own.

It is just not possible to get a mortgage on my wage at the moment.

We can maybe rent, save then look at other options.

Do i have to be with her at the embassy when making the visa? or can she do this on her own while im in the UK?

Thanks..

Well we want to settle in England together, thats for sure.

I just thought going in for a settlement visa would be too soon and get rejected as she has never been to England before.

Just a couple more things.

Do you think paying an agent to make the visa would be easier? or should i make it myself?

Also do i have to be present with her while we make the visa? i meen can i send her all the relevent documents over and she could go to the embassy herself?

Scotty

Its not too soon, have a search through this forum using the search facility and the word "settlement" and see other peoples experiences.

If thats's what you want then go for it. Do not consider getting an agent, with guidance from this forum and the references already given an agent can give you no more.

The visa application can be made by anybody (maybe better still the applicant (your wife)). You can do everything for her, complete the form, send the sponsorship and covering letter, she just has to sign the application form and include the other relevant documents. There is no need for you to be present in Thailand.

Im sorry about this but, what do i need to put in the sponsership and covering letter?

I have a basic idea but just want to get everything 100% right.

Do i just state that she will be staying with me at my mums and that i will support her?

I also will have a letter from my mum.

Scotty,

You need to set out the circumstances of your relationship: when you met, where you met, and that you've been back to visit her x number of times. In addition state how you've kept in contact whilst apart and how often, and then go on to detail your circumstances; i.e. that you work and earn x amount per month, that you live with your mother who has agreed to provide accommodation etc. You'll need a letter from your mother which states how big the house is and confirms that she is willing to let you both stay there. She should also provide evidence that she either rents or owns the house.

Scouse.

Thanks mate

Scotty

As I have already said, because her reason to return is weak but the evidence of your relationship is pretty strong, I think that you will be more likely to be approved a settlement visa, if you applied.

Sadly, yes, you can be refused even though you are married but given what you have stated and provided you make a comprehensive application I feel you have a good chance.

Money is not really a problem provided you are meeting your commitments at present and can provide accomodation for her on her arrival (you will need a letter from your mum and she will need to provide evidence that there is space and that she owns or rents the property and that it is suitable (or has permission) for an additional couple.)

On a settlement visa your wife can work (once she's in UK and applies for an NI number) but on a visitors visa she cannot work.

Good luck with it

EDIT

As you still seem to want her in UK as a 'trial' then even if she gets a settlement visa it is not a life sentence. She can leave or you can send her back but I'm sure that is not your plan right now.

She wouldn't need a NI number before she could start work, she would get a temporary number when she starts work, then apply for a proper one.

Do we have a chance of just a three month visa to start, then later on in the year we can try for a settlement visa.

What form do i need for just a three month visit?

Thanks..

Im pretty sure the minimum visa is 6 months, when i applied for a 2 month visa for my GF, who stayed 5.5 months, they refused her another visa on the grounds that in there eyes, she overstayed, although legally, so its best not to state how long she will stay for when applying, i must admit you are on a bit of a sticky wicket when she hasnt anything to come back here for and you dont have your own house in UK, but you are married, so this could put a good perspective on things, I wish you all the luck in the world scotty, cheers, Lickey.