Airport transfer under Sandbox rules.

London Lowf

Hi everyone – I am hoping that someone can advise me, preferably based on personal experience. Assuming the Sandbox rules stay the same…..

I will be arriving at Phuket in early October and will have a cheap SHA+ hotel in Patong booked. However, I also have an apartment in Kamala and I plan to  go there first, drop off my suitcase, get settled in, pick up a bike from my landlord and then ride on to Patong late afternoon with a backpack.

I appreciate that I will have to stay overnight in the SHA+ for fourteen days and that the staff are no doubt duty-bound to check up on me – no problem.

So, can I do this? I assume that all of the taxis at HKT will be SHA+ and that I can arrange one in the arrival area, as in previous years? Or must I use a taxi booked through the SHA+ hotel and travel directly there? I arrive at 6am and so would probably have to hang around for a few hours for room check-in time anyway.

See the previous answer. In addition, you can also arrange your own taxi, has to be SHA+, but until the test result of the arrival test is known you're room bound, so your first point of destination has to be your hotel.

• Like 2

Thanks for the great replies everyone. I forgot about the need to await the result of the first PCR test on arrival - it's obvious if I take that into consideration.

Not a major problem, just an extra taxi ride that I was hoping to avoid.

Edited by London Lowf
To make it better1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

As others said, you will go directly from the airport to your SHA+ hotel and remain in the room for 6 hours or so. You can't go to your condo until after your negative results are out.

Once each day you have to stop at reception to to have your QR code scanned. I did that on my way to breakfast. After eating, I then went to my condo and did whatever I wanted for the day. One day I didn't scan my QR in the morning and at about 5 pm I had a call from the hotel reminding me to do it. I assume they would notify the authorities if you didn't check in each day. 

I ended up sleeping at the hotel each night because I figured I might as well use their air conditioner instead of mine and then enjoyed free breakfast and coffee before starting my day. No one at the hotel checked or cared whether or not I actually slept in the room at night. 

Exactly the same for me, except that I didn't forget to check in one day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

Me again!

Everything is arranged and I have my COE from the embassy. At no point have I been asked to pre-book a taxi so part of my original question remains - will I be able to book an SHA+ taxi on arrival at HKT?

Yes, now you may book SHA+ taxi directly at arriving after finishing swabbing. 

5 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Thanks Espanol.

I hope to see a post from you soon telling us where you can buy a beer at a bar in Patong!

Until yesterday's police raid, Bangla Road's bars were open and serving beer.

Last night only one bar remained open.

On the other hand, almost all restaurants are serving beer with meals.

Swimming pool bar at my hotel is also open and serving alcohol. 

• Like 1