Thaivisa Barbeque Party In Chiang Mai !

george

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a former "organiser" with a large work social club I 'd advise you to make a head count of possible attendees before discussing venues.

100 members would have different requirements to say, 10 or a dozen. A smaller number would certainly be more comfortable in a private house.

You thinking about coming down for the event?

CB

Dunno, August is a long way off. What format have the other "get togethers" taken? Wasn't there one at Phuket recently? Did they include WAGs? (Wives and girlfriends)? Kids?

I may have people coming over around that time, I could always join them up I suppose.

Sometimes I think you guys are better existing in my imagination and I'm sure I'm probably better unseen.

Mind you, if you were to road test that "massage" place I might reconsider. :D:o:D

In the past we have limited the attendance to a TV member +1. The reason being is that we were getting new members siging up + 10,+8 and +6 etc, so to be fair to existing members we made it +1 (not including kids..they are most welcome if you think the venue is appropriate for them).

Since there are many suggestions now, so why don't one of you call a "recon" at one of the suggested venues at a designated time on a Friday or Saturday? You can meet with each other, evaluate the venue and post your opinions here. You have time to check out quite a few venues and the final selection will be made by YOU....the folks who live there.

One other point, please don't forget that we will be bringing mesquite smoked BBQ ribs to the venue. So that should be taken into consideration when approaching any owners. Are they ok with bringing our own ribs in on party night? Other than the ribs, all salads and side dishes will be taken from the venue, as well as all refreshments. The ribs will be cooked before the party so it will not impact on the venue, other than the fact that we will need a place to heat them.

And as far as numbers go...the last 3 we did was 62 in Pattaya, 55 in Phuket and 55 in Surin. Think you guys can beat 62?......we hope so!!!!

Call 1 recon per week and post your critiques here...it has worked well for us up to this point.

There will be a separate sign-up thread initiated well before the party so we will have a good idea of what to expect.

So.. would this be like a buffet style thing where you pay a set fee for food? If so, what sort of cost would it be?

Personally, based on attendance at earlier gettotgethers it would seem that it's not needed to limit people to members + 1..

Personally, based on attendance at earlier get together's it would seem that it's not needed to limit people to members + 1..

That's for sure, apart from a hand-full of TV members at the last "piss up" it was a very poor turn out indeed. Plenty of talking, but not much walking.. :o

Apart from that it was a good night and i met some good friends.. :D

+1[/b] (not including kids..they are most welcome if you think the venue is appropriate for them).

Since there are many suggestions now, so why don't one of you call a "recon" at one of the suggested venues at a designated time on a Friday or Saturday? You can meet with each other, evaluate the venue and post your opinions here. You have time to check out quite a few venues and the final selection will be made by YOU....the folks who live there.

One other point, please don't forget that we will be bringing mesquite smoked BBQ ribs to the venue. So that should be taken into consideration when approaching any owners. Are they ok with bringing our own ribs in on party night? Other than the ribs, all salads and side dishes will be taken from the venue, as well as all refreshments. The ribs will be cooked before the party so it will not impact on the venue, other than the fact that we will need a place to heat them.

And as far as numbers go...the last 3 we did was 62 in Pattaya, 55 in Phuket and 55 in Surin. Think you guys can beat 62?......we hope so!!!!

Call 1 recon per week and post your critiques here...it has worked well for us up to this point.

There will be a separate sign-up thread initiated well before the party so we will have a good idea of what to expect.

Buckwheat - I and most of the others would know ALL of the venues up for dibs except for Thai Pauly's new place and I am more than happy to check that out as well. I can think of a number of other venues but would prefer to support the guys who at least post on the ChiangMai forum.

Tuskers has a large number of advantages being centrally located and have several decent to good hotels within walking distance BUT parking is an issue and that will make it hard for guys coming from out of town with wife and family. By the same token make it out of town say for example more than 100m past the Dukes (:o) and guys like UG who don't drive and can't fit in a TukTuk :D can't get there.

The Downunder would have been ideal with size, location, and parking available but Gus has closed and the new owners are going to renovate over the next couple of months. As far as I know they aren't part of the TV community. If they were members and the renovations could be finished by then it would still be a contender. I can try to find out if they are interested if you want.

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

Bears Den should also be considered with its parking space, and location. Barbeque right by the river is really a nice thought. :o

The Den would be a good choice for location and the car park - does he still post?

AussieThaid - does Graham at the Pub near you post? They have the room and a car park, is within the city limits and despite being a pom he is a nice guy. Has draught beer which is a bonus. He has happily offered to support the Aussie football and MotoGP viewers who like me are either too tight or can't get Cable/Sat at home.

CB

+1[/b] (not including kids..they are most welcome if you think the venue is appropriate for them).

Buckwheat - I and most of the others would know ALL of the venues up for dibs except for Thai Pauly's new place and I am more than happy to check that out as well. I can think of a number of other venues but would prefer to support the guys who at least post on the ChiangMai forum.

Tuskers has a large number of advantages being centrally located and have several decent to good hotels within walking distance BUT parking is an issue and that will make it hard for guys coming from out of town with wife and family. By the same token make it out of town say for example more than 100m past the Dukes ( :o ) and guys like UG who don't drive and can't fit in a TukTuk :D can't get there.

The Downunder would have been ideal with size, location, and parking available but Gus has closed and the new owners are going to renovate over the next couple of months. As far as I know they aren't part of the TV community. If they were members and the renovations could be finished by then it would still be a contender. I can try to find out if they are interested if you want.

CB

Thanks CB,

The items listed in the op were "suggestions". The last party we had was at a venue whose owner was not a TV member, but met the other suggested critera.

It is hard to find a venue that meets all the listed suggestions, but we did on the first 2...Tropical Berts (Pattaya) and The Farang Connection (Surin), but with the time frame involved before the Chiang Mai party, it should be a snap.

Recon any place you think would be a possibility and make it a weekly event. You guys live there and know what's good and what's not, The Downunder included. Recon any place you want..it's your party and you guys and gals know what best for that area.

In the past we have relied on a "point person" at the party location to act as a "go between" because we can't do a thing without local knowledge. We are hoping to have the same luxury in Chiang Mai also.

Would a tracking sheet with the suggested venues and suggested amenities be of any help to you? You can recon one per week and grade them on the spot and post your results here. or you can critique any place you already know.

We set 7pm every Friday for recons at a venue that was posted on the Pattaya recon thread and it worked out rather nicely, as well as being good for the health!

Let us know about a spreadsheet and...

Thanks again!

I'll put a list of a few possible venues for members to consider. Please comment on them or add other possible venues you feel meet the above criteria.

Khao Mao Khao Fang

Large area with rain forest style setting, located about 4kms out of Chiangmai on the road to Night Safari - plenty of parking, nice atmosphere. Food/drink prices reasonable. Thai food and if they have completed their menu, farang food. Also, open air with both covered and uncovered areas. Large place.

The Riverside Restaurant

Located on the Mae Ping River, so convenient, and have River Boat dinner cruises. Farang friendly with large choice of beverages, live music, multiple levels. Also, Thai & farang food. Also, large parking area near to it.

The Good View Restaurant

Also Located on the Mae Ping River - open air venue with riverside view and can sit outside or in. Live band, full kitchen facilities, large drink choices including a variety of wines. Large parking area across from it. Bit more upscale so maybe more expensive. Thai & farang food.

For venues outside the main Chiangmai area it may be possible to arrange a shuttle service between the site and a central Chiangmai location.

Khao mao Khao Fang

Great place, had my wedding reception there catered for about 90 with 1 weeks notice, loads of parking, struck a good discount let me bring my own drinks and free extras (flowers and cake).

Thanks CB,

The items listed in the op were "suggestions". The last party we had was at a venue whose owner was not a TV member, but met the other suggested critera.

It is hard to find a venue that meets all the listed suggestions, but we did on the first 2...Tropical Berts (Pattaya) and The Farang Connection (Surin), but with the time frame involved before the Chiang Mai party, it should be a snap.

Recon any place you think would be a possibility and make it a weekly event. You guys live there and know what's good and what's not, The Downunder included. Recon any place you want..it's your party and you guys and gals know what best for that area.

In the past we have relied on a "point person" at the party location to act as a "go between" because we can't do a thing without local knowledge. We are hoping to have the same luxury in Chiang Mai also.

Would a tracking sheet with the suggested venues and suggested amenities be of any help to you? You can recon one per week and grade them on the spot and post your results here. or you can critique any place you already know.

We set 7pm every Friday for recons at a venue that was posted on the Pattaya recon thread and it worked out rather nicely, as well as being good for the health!

Thanks again!

Some of the guys on this forum make checking out these venues a daily event :o

A spreadsheet would be a great idea and make it objective. Please send. We could get a group together and do a reccie on the suggested venues and chat to the owner/manager.

Looking forward to the event

CB

[/b]

CB

Thanks again!

Here is a sheet we could use to evaluate each venue and track them a bit easier

Bears Den should also be considered with its parking space, and location. Barbeque right by the river is really a nice thought. :o

The Den would be a good choice for location and the car park - does he still post?

AussieThaid - does Graham at the Pub near you post? They have the room and a car park, is within the city limits and despite being a pom he is a nice guy. Has draught beer which is a bonus. He has happily offered to support the Aussie football and MotoGP viewers who like me are either too tight or can't get Cable/Sat at home.

CB

I agree The Pub would be better logistics wise. Plenty of space indoors and a massive garden area with tables at the front. I will do a "recce" and run it by Grahame.

For the moderators (if you're interested) you can contact him here.. [email protected]

http://www.chiangmainews.com/pub/

Just got back into town after a 4 day blast around N. Thailand on the CBR.

IMHO, I think Tuskers would be most appropriate, if the parking/shuttle issue can be worked out.

Very central, literally steps from a few nice hotels, and a LOOOONG bar for everyone to belly up to.

Oh, and Austhaied will be pleased as they OF COURSE stock Beer Lao... :o

[/b]

CB

Thanks again!

Here is a sheet we could use to evaluate each venue and track them a bit easier

Thanks Baz!!!

Bears Den should also be considered with its parking space, and location. Barbeque right by the river is really a nice thought. :D

CB

I agree The Pub would be better logistics wise. Plenty of space indoors and a massive garden area with tables at the front. I will do a "recce" and run it by Grahame.

For the moderators (if you're interested) you can contact him here.. [email protected]

http://www.chiangmainews.com/pub/

I was also thinking about The Pub for all the reasons stated - and I rate Graham (but then I'm a Brit :o ). Just wondering though - if this event is slated for August, doesn't that mean a heavy risk of heavy rain? Reasonable amount of room indoors, but maybe not that much under cover outside........... ? :D

True, The Pub DOES have a large car park, he just expanded/opened up the bar area, has multiple rooms, offers wide food selection, etc.

Oh, and Crow Boy can be enticed to play some blues rock on the PA system. :D

AND, it's just STEPS from Austhaied's house....pajama slumber party with pillow fights, anyone? :o

And selfishly enough for me, it's walking distance from my apt.

I just thought Tuskers would be more central, and with the out of town TV people more hotel options close by. Near The Pub there is the Amari Rincome, and the Phucome Hotel.

I'd say either place would be a good choice.

I just thought Tuskers would be more central, and with the out of town TV people more hotel options close by.

Miami Hotel, Montri, Amora, Top North Hotel, lots of guest houses, SPICY!

Edited by Ulysses G.

I have had experience in hosting a TV BBQ Piss up last year.

Our new restaurant has ample parking and is just 10 minutes out of town.

We have a roof top terrace that can seat up to 60....and a massive BBQ. If it rains everyone can move downstairs.

If not my place and everyone wants to go into town then I would vote for Tuskers, but it would not be a problem to arrange transport to and from town.

Just my two satanges worth ......I wont be dissappointed if we don't get the nod.

TP

Can you give directions to your resto TP ?? Will pop in for a bite soon..

Sure can mate.

If you take the Hang Dong Road , next set of Traffic Lights past Tesco/Lotus turn right about 500 metres past the end of the airport runway.

1 klik down on the right hand side...right next to Sitara Condominium ....plenty of Fairy Lights..its called PAT RESTAURANT...(silly name I know, but we will change it...could have been the Secret Garden...but there is no garden, just a rooftop terrace at the moment) )..and its written in Thai...excellent Thai food , which is why my Missus brought it.

Open 5pm-1am...Let me know when you are coming as I am not always there.

Look forward to seeing you and yours soon.

TP

PS...I have to agree with you about the abysmal turnouts on TV get togethers though.....the max number I can ever recall is about 10 ! and I think I have been on every one, as you say many talk but very few walk.

I'll definatley be there wherever it may be. :o

Well, I will be checking out TP's place tomorrow night. :D

I've got the White Wine on ice Mate....just hope we (eerm I ) don't down as much as last time...I don't need the hangover :o

Looking forward as always to seeing you tomorrow ya %#*$

I have had experience in hosting a TV BBQ Piss up last year.

Our new restaurant has ample parking and is just 10 minutes out of town.

We have a roof top terrace that can seat up to 60....and a massive BBQ. If it rains everyone can move downstairs.

If not my place and everyone wants to go into town then I would vote for Tuskers, but it would not be a problem to arrange transport to and from town.

Just my two satanges worth ......I wont be dissappointed if we don't get the nod.

TP

Can you give directions to your resto TP ?? Will pop in for a bite soon..

Sure can mate.

If you take the Hang Dong Road , next set of Traffic Lights past Tesco/Lotus turn right about 500 metres past the end of the airport runway.

1 klik down on the right hand side...right next to Sitara Condominium ....plenty of Fairy Lights..its called PAT RESTAURANT...(silly name I know, but we will change it...could have been the Secret Garden...but there is no garden, just a rooftop terrace at the moment) )..and its written in Thai...excellent Thai food , which is why my Missus brought it.

Open 5pm-1am...Let me know when you are coming as I am not always there.

Look forward to seeing you and yours soon.

TP

PS...I have to agree with you about the abysmal turnouts on TV get togethers though.....the max number I can ever recall is about 10 ! and I think I have been on every one, as you say many talk but very few walk.

I'll definatley be there wherever it may be. :D

Cheers mate. Will let you know soon.

AT. :o

I just thought Tuskers would be more central, and with the out of town TV people more hotel options close by.

Miami Hotel, Montri, Amora, Top North Hotel, lots of guest houses, SPICY!

Any idea of prices?

Just curious - assuming you are coming to the Thai Visa BBQ:

1) what would be the limits (distance wise) from the Central Moat area the would be the limit. I am thinking here of guys such as UG who doesn't have personal transport

2) If the site did not have car parking would that be likely to stop you from coming? I am thinking here of guys driving in from out of town or with a mess of rug rats and the idea of packing everyone on the Honda Dream "family people mover" is out of the question

The reason for this is thinking objectively about the night - Tuskers would be the most convenient and has all of the necessary things to make the night great but car parking is not easy there.

For the out of towners coming to CM for the night and needing accomodation it is surrounded by plenty of hotels and guest rooms. There is any number of Tuk Tuks to be had for transport to the "other sights" of town - thinking here of UG leading a party of TVers to Spicy's and then doing a conga line down Loi Kroh on a Lady Boy spotting contest.

Tuskers (Milton Bentley) is a poster and supporter of TV as is Thai Pauly but I think getting to TPs restaurant will be harder for a lot more people.

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

So, that's the Middle Ring (Second Ring) then? The one where at the end of it they're currently constructing a bridge/intersection with the Canal Road? And where the new Big-C is going up on the other end at the intersection with the Hang Dong Road?

Edited by chanchao

I've only been to Chiang mai once, impressed by the choice for eating out and sightseeing.

Is this BBQ a regular event?

I'll be in Chiang Mai end of June, got some visa business and stocking up on wanted items.

Reading material is on the list.Do GeckoBooks give discounts for members? :o

Reading material is on the list. Do GeckoBooks give discounts for members? :D

A few people get discounts, but they buy a lot of books and always return the better ones to sell again.

However, I have been really cutting the prices on books and authors that are easier to get, so if you are not too picky, there are plenty of good books available in Gecko for around 100 baht - including a lot of good literature upstairs - and you can get some pretty good titles for 50 and 60 baht in the bargain section, if you hit it at the right time, but they go quickly. :o