3 Month Holiday

nevetsnameloc

just some advice please.i have been to Thailand about 8 times now on the usual 3 week holiday.this time i want to go for 3 months so i can travel a bit but also to look at the idea of living over there...the visa situation has me confused a little :o i plan to arrive in BKK on 1st October....can i apply for visa now to start on 1st oct... or do i need to wait till closer to time of departure...which visa do i need...i have heard that Hull is the best Thai Embassey to put in the application...i am 44 yrs old and so a retirement visa is not an option...thanks for you help and all comments will be much appreciated...Steve :D

By all means apply at Hull for a non-immigrant visa, category O. Purpose of visit: visit friends.

For a stay of three months, you need a multiple-entry non-O visa or a tourist visa valid for two entries.

If you wish to stay only 90 days (arrival 01 OCT 2007, departure not later than 29 DEC 2007), a single entry non-O visa will suffice.

The single-entry non-O is usually valid for travel to Thailand within three months from its issue, the multiple-entry non-O and the tourist visa for two entries for six months. Time your application accordingly.

--------------

Maestro

just some advice please.i have been to Thailand about 8 times now on the usual 3 week holiday.this time i want to go for 3 months so i can travel a bit but also to look at the idea of living over there...the visa situation has me confused a little :o i plan to arrive in BKK on 1st October....can i apply for visa now to start on 1st oct... or do i need to wait till closer to time of departure...which visa do i need...i have heard that Hull is the best Thai Embassey to put in the application...i am 44 yrs old and so a retirement visa is not an option...thanks for you help and all comments will be much appreciated...Steve :D

If you don not wish to cross any borders (to do visa runs) then go for the multiple entry non-immigrant 'O' visa this will allow you to stay in the country for 90 days upon arrival, and if you decide to stay longer your visa will cover you on that also, it costs £100 for the visa and can be done by post or you can turn up at the office and do it there and then for an extra £10 administration cost. Or you can get the single entry non 'O' I think that costs about £30 but I'm not to sure on that.You can go for the other visa types, but if you do not want to make a border crossing (depending on where you visit, it is no major hassle) then go for the non immigrant 'O' as you have to pay for other visa's to get in to other countries anyway so the costs and inconveniences (if you are not next to a border crossing) mount up also. And it also means its valid for 1 year so if you return again before it runs out you still get another 90 days when you arrive. Hence i would and do go for this type as i spend long periods of time there on a regular basis, oh and I come from England and always use the Hull consulate I find it the fastest and most efficient as it has usual office opening hours not like the Birmingham branch so it is very easy to go in person and has same day service (approx 30 mins with form filling in).

Edited by johnsurin