Avoid ordering from Lenovo website

DaiHard

I ordered a tablet directly from the Lenovo website and they withheld the order saying there were "credit issues" even though it was paid via a direct bank transfer. I sent them the payment acknowledgement and have heard nothing since. So, no tablet and no money.

This is the 2nd time I bought something directly from them and the 2nd time I had issues with payment - I know fool me once etc. but they promised me faithfully they had changed their system so it COULDN'T be repeated.

On my last order they also stated they had stock in Thailand and it would arrive within 5-8 days. As it was they didn't have stock here and it took over a month to come from China, which was really annoying as I needed it for an urgent job.

Has anyone else had problems with them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also ordered a ThinkPad a few weeks ago. I paid with credit card and I saw the money was deducted from my credit card account. And I also saw on the Lenovo site "credit issues".

I contacted them about that and they told me that is normal and that is always like this in the first day or two after an order.

What a stupid way to make customers unhappy.

To make it short: I received the computer with 7 days, I think it was less than 7 days. But I also made sure I order a computer which was on their "Ready to Delivery" page. There are not many.

https://www.lenovo.com/th/en/d/deals/express

With the tracking I saw first my newly bought computer was in Singapore. Then it was in China, then it was delayed in China, and then it was shipped to Thailand.

The estimated delivery changed from Monday next week to Friday "this week" and then it changed again to Wednesday next week. I registered to get regular updates about the delivery. Then it was delivered on Tuesday without any prior notice. With Covid I don't go out much so I was home and could receive it.

I am a fan of ThinkPads, they are just great computers. This is why I bought this one. My last one is almost 10 years old. It still runs but obviously it is not a fast computer anymore. I hope the new one will be good for the next 10 years.

The Lenovo service was obviously bad. But I would still do it again because I don't see a better alternative.

The Blue Shop in Fortune is normally not bad. But in the moment they have also only very few notebooks and more expensive than on the Lenovo website.

5 hours ago, DaiHard said:

Has anyone else had problems with them?

I purchased a Thinkpad from the Lenovo.th web site on 26 July (evening); unit was delivered (Singapore to Shenzen to Bangkok via UPS) on 3 August (mid-day). UPS's  tracking system is strange, unreliable IME. I was powering up the unit, while UPS said it was in a sorting center in Samut Prakan.

Paid by credit card.

I ordered a pre-configured unit, with an advertised availability of 5 - 8 business days. With multiple promotions it was 40% off MSRP.

Very pleased.

My previous Thinkpad was purchased from a VAR in the U.S. in 2011.

• Like 1

i checked my records.

lenovo wanted 10,000baht plus labor to replace the mother board.

i bought a mother board from Ebay for $65.00 USD and installed it myself.

found directions on utube, simple.

the mother board controls the computer.

2 hours ago, rodknock said:

i checked my records.

lenovo wanted 10,000baht plus labor to replace the mother board.

i bought a mother board from Ebay for $65.00 USD and installed it myself.

found directions on utube, simple.

the mother board controls the computer.

Good for you.

But I think to be fair, Lenovo sells new computers and repairs computers with new parts. The motherboard, also called mainboard is the most important part in any PC and probably often the most expensive.

Any mainboard from any computer manufacturer is expensive, and for sure a lot more expensive than a used 2nd hand part on eBay. I think that is no reason to blame Lenovo.

Contrast this with my experience with ACER; 300 baht or 400 baht plus VAT for almost any job that I gave to them. including the complete dismantling of a laptop ten years out of warranty in order to fit a new CPU.

All jobs done whilst I waited. I thought that I would have to leave them and pick them up later. But no, they asked me to wait. I have nothing but praise for the ACER service centre in Chonburi.

In addition to this; the two ACER devices concerned, one from 2007 and the other from 2008 are both still working perfectly.

On 8/26/2021 at 1:11 PM, rodknock said:

i took my lenovo in for repairs, they quoted me more than the computer price to repair.

they also charged me to check it out.

turns out i needed a new board, bought one from Ebay, dirt cheap.

was simple to replace.

will never buy a lenovo product again.

I took my Lenovo tablet for issues under the warranty to their head place at fortune town and was told there would be no one to look at it for five days.

I confirm that Lenovo support sucks (at least here in Thailand)

On 7/21/2021 at 7:39 PM, fdsa said:

my Thinkpad has few problems and I went to the local Lenovo service center asking how much will the parts cost and when they could deliver them. They asked my phone number and told they will call me later. After one week I came back to the same shop and asked if they forgot about my request, the answer was "the Lenovo Bangkok did not reply yet, please wait and we will call you later".

More than a month passed already and I didn't receive any calls.

two months passed already, guess if anyone called me since the second visit to the service center.

22 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I took my Lenovo tablet for issues under the warranty to their head place at fortune town and was told there would be no one to look at it for five days.

Please be aware there is a big difference between Lenovo and ThinkPad. ThinkPad = high quality, and some ThinkPads (i.e. the T series) are high quality business notebooks with service wherever you have your ThinkPad. I just bought one and I upgraded to Premium Onsite Support. That cost for three years a couple of thousand THB depending on the model, but it guarantees "Fastest - Repairs done at your location, Next Business Day" support.

I understand that not everybody is willing to pay for this and not everybody needs this.

But if someone uses a notebook every day to make money then ThinkPad and their support is the best option.

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Please be aware there is a big difference between Lenovo and ThinkPad. ThinkPad = high quality, and some ThinkPads (i.e. the T series) are high quality business notebooks with service wherever you have your ThinkPad. I just bought one and I upgraded to Premium Onsite Support. That cost for three years a couple of thousand THB depending on the model, but it guarantees "Fastest - Repairs done at your location, Next Business Day" support.

I understand that not everybody is willing to pay for this and not everybody needs this.

But if someone uses a notebook every day to make money then ThinkPad and their support is the best option.

Thanks for the information, it's not a ThinkPad, it is just an ordinary android tablet which cost about 5000Bt, also, repairs at your location, that's fine if you live in a city, but up in the Boonies, in my town/village there is only one computer shop, I don't imagine him doing anything under someone elses warranty.

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

it guarantees "Fastest - Repairs done at your location, Next Business Day" support.

But you have no guarantee that your ThinkPad will be quickly repaired and fully functional the next business day. Having a second laptop or PC is a more reliable option since you depend on your laptop for work.

I have two laptops one being an older ThinkPad that has been very reliable and has the same programs as my newer laptop. I keep all documents, email archives, pictures etc in one parent folder C:\Files. I then use good old SyncToy (still works on Win10) to sync the files over the network at least once daily. I also sync my browser profile and any other important %appdata% files. This makes it convenient for travel too knowing that if a laptop goes missing I have a solid backup in place.

I'm guessing you have some kind of redundancy too including using the cloud?

34 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

But you have no guarantee that your ThinkPad will be quickly repaired and fully functional the next business day. Having a second laptop or PC is a more reliable option since you depend on your laptop for work.

I have two laptops one being an older ThinkPad that has been very reliable and has the same programs as my newer laptop. I keep all documents, email archives, pictures etc in one parent folder C:\Files. I then use good old SyncToy (still works on Win10) to sync the files over the network at least once daily. I also sync my browser profile and any other important %appdata% files. This makes it convenient for travel too knowing that if a laptop goes missing I have a solid backup in place.

I'm guessing you have some kind of redundancy too including using the cloud?

You are guessing right. I have my main desktop PC with RAID, local backup with FileHistory, cloud backup with OneDrive, Three ThinkPads and a couple of old PCs at home. And then there are all the office PCs. Yes, I have some redundancy. ???? 

And I also use LastPass in which I save all my important passwords. I can access that anywhere on computers and the web and my phones. I can recommend it to everyone. 

• Like 2