UK Visit Visa for Thai wife: Sponsorship/Financials

Hi,

I have been working on best solutions for our situation. I am thinking of getting my wife a UK Visit Visa whilst we relocate back to the UK so i can gain employment and meet financial requirements for a spouse visa. A potential 10-12 months is just too long for my kids to not see or be with their mother.

For this UK Visit Visa, i am thinking of using my parents financial details in order to meet the financial requirements as a sponsor.

1. Is this allowed?

2. Any information on the actual requirements/how to go about it?

Thanks

Yes it is. Having said that I think the main problem you will have with the visitor Visa is convincing UKVI that she will return to Thailand at the end of her trip. Your situation might make it appear to them that the visitor Visa is being used to enable her to stay in the UK. So you will have to make the application very clear and very strong in terms of the reasons for her to return to Thailand at the end of the trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bigyin said:

Thailand has just gone on to the UK red list with effect from 4am Sunday so any visit will have to wait.

I have just been reading this. This really is a spanner in the works. Is it 2,500 per person in a quarantine hotel? would i have to pay this for my 6 year old daughter?

Many thanks

3 hours ago, Steps said:

I have just been reading this. This really is a spanner in the works. Is it 2,500 per person in a quarantine hotel? would i have to pay this for my 6 year old daughter?

Many thanks

image.png.9047972fa1ac9aeaf794da66574d5360.png

Total cost for you would be £2,285+£325 so £2,610. I've been caught out by this also unless by some miracle Thailand comes back off the red list in 3 weeks time. Just wanted my partner to visit her family after nearly two years and it's turning out to be the most expensive holiday I've ever paid for.

Good luck with your move. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Duffman88 said:

Total cost for you would be £2,285+£325 so £2,610. I've been caught out by this also unless by some miracle Thailand comes back off the red list in 3 weeks time. Just wanted my partner to visit her family after nearly two years and it's turning out to be the most expensive holiday I've ever paid for.

Thank you for providing this information, It is very interesting to see the quarantine prices for other countries.

We hope that the numbers get better in Thailand soon, and we get removed from the red list ????

On 8/27/2021 at 11:36 PM, bigyin said:

As a non UK citizen your wife can’t enter the UK from Thailand on a visit visa from Monday. Entry is restricted to UK and Irish nationals and UK residents.

For me this is BS and a step too far!

On 8/27/2021 at 7:30 PM, Duffman88 said:

So there are other options. You could in theory travel to a amber country and stay for 10 days before moving onto the UK which would grant you non-restricted access (barring the 10 day home quarantine).

I need to look into access from Thailand to:

South East Asia:

1. Cambodia
  2. Lao
  3. Vietnam

Europe:

1. Portugal
  2. Netherlands
  3. Spain
  4. Greece
  5. Italy

Anybody have any idea?

On 8/27/2021 at 9:44 AM, Steps said:

Many thanks

They have to have the legal right to live in the UK to qualify for quarantine.

Whoops, see this has already been covered by someone.

Edited by Will B Good

11 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

They have to have the legal right to live in the UK to qualify for quarantine.

Whoops, see this has already been covered by someone.

So having a UK husband with 2 kids does not give a Thai wife the legal right to live in the UK?

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Good heavens NO!

There are no end of hoops to jump through.

Unbelievable!! The world is certainly turning into a frightful place. I best pack her up in a lorry then and send her to Dover where she will be towed by the Royal British Coastguard to the UK and put up in a 5 star hotel with benefits that outdo a UK pensioner.

I want freedom restored because these lockdowns and restrictions are BS. Everything to do with this situation is a farce.

I'm staying put!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Good heavens NO!

There are no end of hoops to jump through.

Actually on second thoughts this surely can not be correct. If she enters from a amber country, she surely must be allowed entry!! Do you have a link where is clearly states this?

1 minute ago, Steps said:

Actually on second thoughts this surely can not be correct. If she enters from a amber country, she surely must be allowed entry!! Do you have a link where is clearly states this?

Sorry, my fault ? There seems to be some confusion over "entry" and to "live there".

She can enter on a visitors visa from green or amber, but there must be a required length of time she was in one of these, you can't just transit from a green or amber country to avoid quarantine.

To live in the UK she certainly doesn't have the right to live in the UK, her rights don't extend beyond the right to apply and being married with kids might help, but not much in my experience.

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Sorry, my fault ? There seems to be some confusion over "entry" and to "live there".

She can enter on a visitors visa from green or amber, but there must be a required length of time she was in one of these, you can't just transit from a green or amber country to avoid quarantine.

To live in the UK she certainly doesn't have the right to live in the UK, her rights don't extend beyond the right to apply and being married with kids might help, but not much in my experience.

Argh OK, yes there was some confusion. So that's good to clarify she can enter from a green or amber country. She and we need to have been in said country for 10 days.

With regards to the spouse visa, i am aware of all the hoops and ready to embark on that journey.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steps said:

Argh OK, yes there was some confusion. So that's good to clarify she can enter from a green or amber country. She and we need to have been in said country for 10 days.

With regards to the spouse visa, i am aware of all the hoops and ready to embark on that journey.

Best of luck.

I am resigned to living in Thailand for now.

After, seemingly, spending a good proportion of my life applying for visas (and occasionally being refused), I just don't have any motivation to apply for my wife to live in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Steps said:

Unbelievable!! The world is certainly turning into a frightful place.

My wife has made 3 trips to the UK and the paperwork seems to increase with each application. 

The last visit required over 70 sheets of A4 paper !!! A lot of this is meaningless bumph or what they term as ' spacer ' pages between each section.

The visa application has for some time been farmed out to a private company , VFS Global.

The British government has received a mountain of complaints about this company :

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/home-office-investigation-complaints-vfs-global-outsourcing-visas-immigration-a9214306.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFS_Global

But has done little or nothing to address the complaints.  The company was formerly based in India and seems to have modeled the Indian civil service as its modal in creating mountains of red tape.

Unfortunately , since they have everyone by the short and curlies there is nothing you can do except be very careful with your application to make sure it is completed correctly with no mistakes , which although accidental , will probably be interpreted as intended to deceive.

Just now, Denim said:

My wife has made 3 trips to the UK and the paperwork seems to increase with each application. 

The last visit required over 70 sheets of A4 paper !!! A lot of this is meaningless bumph or what they term as ' spacer ' pages between each section.

The visa application has for some time been farmed out to a private company , VFS Global.

The British government has received a mountain of complaints about this company :

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/home-office-investigation-complaints-vfs-global-outsourcing-visas-immigration-a9214306.html

But has done little or nothing to address the complaints.  The company was formerly based in India and seems to have modeled the Indian civil service as its modal in creating mountains of red tape.

Unfortunately , since they have everyone by the short and curlies there is nothing you can do except be very careful with your application to make sure it is completed correctly with no mistakes , which although accidental , will probably be interpreted as intended to deceive.

Dealt with VFS Global and, as bad as they are, they are a massive improvement on the previous contractor WorldBridge (American, I think).

The unofficial brief to both companies from the Home Office must be "make applying for a UK visa hell on earth".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Denim said:

Hi, yes i have used VFS with success in my experience but the last time was back in 2017. I wounder if a lot has changed since Brexit? May i ask, when was the last time you applied for a Visa for your wife?

39 minutes ago, Steps said:

Hi, yes i have used VFS with success in my experience but the last time was back in 2017. I wounder if a lot has changed since Brexit? May i ask, when was the last time you applied for a Visa for your wife?

Way back in 2018. Seems a long time ago now.

53 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

The unofficial brief to both companies from the Home Office must be "make applying for a UK visa hell on earth".

Fulfilled that brief admirably I would say.

I also can't see myself applying for a fourth visit visa any time soon , although your chances of refusal do seem to diminish if you return to Thailand on time each visit.  Nonetheless, a lot of hassle and expense for just a three week holiday.

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

Fulfilled that brief admirably I would say.

I also can't see myself applying for a fourth visit visa any time soon , although your chances of refusal do seem to diminish if you return to Thailand on time each visit.  Nonetheless, a lot of hassle and expense for just a three week holiday.

Wife still has a visa through to May next year, but of course, if we stay Red Listed it will be useless.

I once applied for a five year visa, was told I/she fulfilled all the requirements, but the Home Office felt it best only to issue a two year visa.....oh and we will keep the money for the five year visa AND you have no right of appeal.

Good day!

7 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Wife still has a visa through to May next year, but of course, if we stay Red Listed it will be useless.

I once applied for a five year visa, was told I/she fulfilled all the requirements, but the Home Office felt it best only to issue a two year visa.....oh and we will keep the money for the five year visa AND you have no right of appeal.

Good day!

You might be able to find a way around that through the CVCS scheme although I haven't read through it all myself. Probably not but might be worth a sniff.

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/coronavirus/

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-covid-visa-concession-scheme-cvcs

Yes, the 5 year visa might actually be useful but a 2 year visa .... not much. The 10 year visa looks attractive if you don't mind playing Russian Roulette with your application fee and only 1 empty chamber.

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

You might be able to find a way around that through the CVCS scheme although I haven't read through it all myself. Probably not but might be worth a sniff.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-covid-visa-concession-scheme-cvcs

Yes, the 5 year visa might actually be useful but a 2 year visa .... not much. The 10 year visa looks attractive if you don't mind playing Russian Roulette with your application fee and only 1 empty chamber.

Thanks for that, will have a read.

Yes, on the visas, once burnt, twice shy.

6 minutes ago, Denim said:

Need to read in depth, but it looks like it only applies to "leave to remain" type visas, not visitors visas.......????