Windows activation

petermik

Just bought a refurbed pc....very happy with it no issues except for the fact that it says my Windows 10 pro licence is "activated using your organisations activation service"  what exactly does this mean and am I likely to encounter problems in the future.....thanks for any help.

Edited by petermik

6 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

That means it is a (probably) dodgy KMS activation and,yes, you are likely to have problems in the future.

Your best option is to buy an activation key online and update. Plenty of youtube videos.

I have seen them for sale online here for as little as 80 baht...do they work real or not?

• Like 1

Over the years I have bought Win 10 keys from Ebay UK,

for very little money, all have worked ,are still working and

update normally , but I notice lately the price has risen sharply,

if you do have problems in future ,unlikely in my experience , 

just buy a key and enter it, a guy is selling on Baht Sold for 350 THB.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, petermik said:

I have seen them for sale online here for as little as 80 baht...do they work real or not?

IMO, I would stay away from ones that are that cheap.

The sources that some of the YouTube channels I watch recommend are cdkdeals or scdkey but I can't personally recommend anywhere.

The caveat is that some of these sites actually sell old W7 or W8 keys (which are still legit) and it's a little more tricky to get to work sometimes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonray said:

That just means that the vendor used a master "Enterprise" plan key to activate. When I was working in IT and we had to install hundreds of new PCs with Windows, Microsoft provided an enterprise license key that we used in a script to activate all en masse. I would not suspect any issues,

The seller is a large online business seller with other franchises in USA and Australia that I know of...the pc came with a 3 month warranty and in my enquiries with them they have responded quickly and efficiently so I,ll wait and see if anything changes regarding my Windows validation status.....thanks to all for your input.

• Like 1

Try running this in run or in a cmd terminal:

Step 1: Click Windows logo and R key on the keyboard in Windows 10 to open the Run dialog.

Step 2: Type slmgr.vbs /dli and press Enter key to display license information. Here slmgr stands for Software License Manager and the .vbs means Visual Basic Script.

In the pop-up window, if you see volume activation expiration, renewal interval and these types of information, you should know your Windows 10 is activated using activator software and it is cracked.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, userabcd said:

Try running this in run or in a cmd terminal:

Step 1: Click Windows logo and R key on the keyboard in Windows 10 to open the Run dialog.

Step 2: Type slmgr.vbs /dli and press Enter key to display license information. Here slmgr stands for Software License Manager and the .vbs means Visual Basic Script.

In the pop-up window, if you see volume activation expiration, renewal interval and these types of information, you should know your Windows 10 is activated using activator software and it is cracked.

Thanks for that....it tells me it IS licensed but that it will expire in 177 days....after that what are my options please ?

Personally I would recommend buying a genuine license from jib or other such shop but they are quite expensive though. This is what I have always done.

I see on Lazada or shopee they advertise windows 10 licenses for quite cheap which you just enter the license code into a genuine clean copy of windows, check the reviews if they are good or not. I dont know if the licenses are genuine or not (maybe genuine licenses from old enterprise computers) but at least they will not inject a virus on your pc like using/running those dodgy activators would.

8 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

That means it is a (probably) dodgy KMS activation and,yes, you are likely to have problems in the future.

Your best option is to buy an activation key online and update. Plenty of youtube videos.

Nope you are very wrong. I installed using the  option direct from microsoft, I know mine is genuine. 

6 hours ago, petermik said:

Thanks for that....it tells me it IS licensed but that it will expire in 177 days....after that what are my options please ?

Funny, mine says expires in 5988 days ( 16.40548 years) I installed mine from microsoft.com download software

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Madgee said:

I build, repair and re-furbish pc's as a hobby for friends and family. Often it's easier to do a clean install and start afresh without all the years of cr@p that's embedded to wade through. Fit an SSD or M.2 to store the o/s system on a partition and a new windows key for around 100 baht. Never had a problem so far!

Capture.JPG

I upgraded the RAM to 8gb and did a clean install with a Samsung 250gb SSD....big improvement and running fine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, petermik said:

I upgraded the RAM to 8gb and did a clean install with a Samsung 250gb SSD....big improvement and running fine.....no issues with  performance it,s the corporate licence expiring in 6 months time that is the issue....perhaps a 100 baht key might work or not...time is on my side.....thanks anyhow.

• Like 1

Before you go ahead and spend thousands of baht on a new key or buy a pirated key, first:

Start>Run

cmd

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Does it show you a product key?

If it does, take note of it then type

slmgr /upk

wait for the msgbox

slmgr /ipk <type your key here without the brackets>

slmgr /ato

Basically what his does is check if your system is already licensed (most branded PCs are), then activate it using that key.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Windows 10 is activated on the hardware as opposed to software license of previous versions. You could install a fresh copy of Windows 10, which would then hit the servers to activate. If it activates, no worries. If you get a "Your copy of Windows isn't genuine" then you know that answer.

Another hail mary kinda of play (if your PC supports it) would be to join the Windows 11 beta, update to Windows 11 and your machine is activated for the duration of the beta.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

Windows 10 is activated on the hardware as opposed to software license of previous versions. You could install a fresh copy of Windows 10, which would then hit the servers to activate. If it activates, no worries. If you get a "Your copy of Windows isn't genuine" then you know that answer.

Another hail mary kinda of play (if your PC supports it) would be to join the Windows 11 beta, update to Windows 11 and your machine is activated for the duration of the beta.

I know that Will Beta is ready for me, but I am not so sure if I am ready for Windows 11 Beta.

Thank you very much for your advice.  I would much rather take advice than get stuck with a ranter who treats me like a congenital idiot. I will update Windows but in the near future rather than now.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text
  • Like 1

These are usually pirated keys stolen from Enterprise computers.

Microsoft will eventually work that out and disable them, or they will expire depending on the customer's enterprise agreement.

Microsoft deliver keys a couple of ways, either from their servers or from an onsite Key Management Server.

They're still stolen.

• 2 weeks later...

Few weeks ago downloaded and installed Win11 iso from MS official site. Used the same digital licence  MS sent me, on opting to be an early adopter of Win 8 (yuk), for 39.99 USD. Upgraded to W 10 then W 11 automatically on install.

Before all that Win 7 Ultimated (sic) on CD from Pantip, 100B.

Win 7 was best.