Visa Run From Kanchanaburi

StickKettleOn

Hi All

Where do you Kanchanaburi (and surrounding areas) people go for visa runs? I was planning on going to Mae Sot, thinking it was just a couple hours from Kan but it is actualy quite far away.

Is there a border available at Songkala (spelling?) which i believe is only a couple hundred k's from Kan?

Failing that - any suggestions on where to go would be appreciated. I do hope its not a question of going into Bangkok only to get a bus out to Ranong or Cambodia.

Cheers

SKO

To Mae Sot it's about 500k as there is no direct route at present, and there are a couple of possible traffic bottlenecks on route. There is a border crossing at Sangkhla, but when I had to do a visa run years ago it wasn't open. You'd have to check with immigration. I did the Ranong run, lift to Petchaburi then a bus to Ranong and a long tail boat accross. It was a horrible journey even though I stopped a night in Ranong then a few nights in Hua Hin on the way back.

Thanks JD and Derek.

Seems there is no easy way, looking at it. Mae Sot could take 5-7 hours, then again on a bad day it could be 9/10. There is also the problem that given the current political problems, the border may be closed as i believe Mae Sot is known for this.

Plus, my visa has finished. So, this would be a 30 day bounce. Given that i do not have an onward air ticket, and a couple of old overstays, a border bounce will be risky.

So for me, its a flight down to Penanag or Hat Yai and taxi to Kota Buru - aquire a new 60 day TV.

Oh well. Thanks for the replies.

• 2 weeks later...

Mae Sot is a nice easy visa run but takes at least 5 hours from Kan. The road from Tak is all up and down and can be painfully slow, thats what buggers up the journey time.

I have been told by an immigration officer that one day Three Pagoda Pass will be upgraded for visa runs but that this is several years away and relies on a major upgrade to travel links between Thailand and Burma.

In times of border tension give immigration a quick call before you go as the bridge can be closed for a couple of days at a time.

And get there 4 pm at the absolute latest. Return into Thailand closes at 4.30 for farangs and its quite a walk back and forth across the bridge.

Has anyone gone for the O-A Visa extension at Kanchanburi?

I've heard there are English-speaking Immigration Officers there and it's closer than Suan Plu for me.

Cheers,

BM

Edited by Boon Mee

I've heard there are English-speaking Immigration Officers there and it's closer than Suan Plu for me.

Cheers,

BM

I havent done an extension there myself yet but I know a couple of guys who have and they say it was all very painless.

I have only ever talked with one of the female officers there and her English was excellent.

Cheers,

BM

I havent done an extension there myself yet but I know a couple of guys who have and they say it was all very painless.

I have only ever talked with one of the female officers there and her English was excellent.

A couple of my mates have mentioned this lady at the immigration office & have got nothing but good things to say about her. For a visa run close to Kan...forget it. It's either Ranong , Mae Sot or some guys there do the Mukdhan run up to Laos..a decent run but they claim is efficient & quite painless up there

Going to Sangkla to do a visa run is not allowed. The reason is, If I remember correctly you have to leave your passport at Thai immigration in Sangkla and get a border permit to enter Burma.

This means of course you won't get stamped out of anywhere!

Badbanker

PS correct me if the situation has changed!

Edited by Badbanker