How long will the incoming travel quarantine last? Will the sandbox be continued?

spidermike007

Your planned return date is? End of January? Beginning of February?

Who knows? 

My guess: 0 - 3 day quarantine, "0" means no quarantine, with proof of vaccination and a negative PCR test.

Maybe any quarantine has to be done at a specific group (with a thousand options) of hotels, ASQ-lite?

Edited by mtls2005

Delay travel as long as possible. There would be gradual improvement, as more people around the world are vaxed. Get fully vaxed with whatever possible, try to get a booster. In the usa you can also get a booster. They will be counting them on borders. 
thai wont abandon sandbox, they would be moving goalposts, as they did already, to keep it. 
nobody knows how would be in january, i would not plan yet anything. Tickets can be bought just a few days in advance. Open one or even 2 singles

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

I'm headed back in Oct for 6 weeks. I've been planning this for awhile so didn't follow the vaccine for foreigners. Registered at last minute, may or not get it before US trip but in the US it's just walk in for any vaccine you want.

Coming back has a list of hurdles but study the COE requirements and the sandbox should still be available. 2 weeks at a beachside hotel sounds good. One thing to remember is the high season room rates coming up. The worst scenario is 2 weeks in Pattaya ASQ, either way I can't wait to step foot on US soil.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm headed back in Oct for 6 weeks. I've been planning this for awhile so didn't follow the vaccine for foreigners. Registered at last minute, may or not get it before US trip but in the US it's just walk in for any vaccine you want.

Coming back has a list of hurdles but study the COE requirements and the sandbox should still be available. 2 weeks at a beachside hotel sounds good. One thing to remember is the high season room rates coming up. The worst scenario is 2 weeks in Pattaya ASQ, either way I can't wait to step foot on US soil.

High season rates? I find that hard to believe given where Thailand currently is.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 11:41 AM, spidermike007 said:

This is a difficult decision, as cases here appear to be stabilizing, but who knows?

You answered your question yourself, "who knows?"...????

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, misterphil said:

I am waiting to return to Thailand when its no quarantine for fully vaxed people. Just like most of the worlds policy. 

There's barely any country that offers no quarantine for fully vaxed. Israel reintoduced quarantine, the US doesn't allow any non-resident entries from many countries including all of Europe, vaccinated or not. European countries let in some non-residents that are vaccinated, but whether it's quarantine free depends on the country you go to and where you're from. Bad luck if you're in Thailand and want to go to the UK for example. In Asia, good luck entering anywhere, be it with or without quarantine or vaccination.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pentagara said:

There's barely any country that offers no quarantine for fully vaxed. Israel reintoduced quarantine, the US doesn't allow any non-resident entries from many countries including all of Europe, vaccinated or not. European countries let in some non-residents that are vaccinated, but whether it's quarantine free depends on the country you go to and where you're from. Bad luck if you're in Thailand and want to go to the UK for example. In Asia, good luck entering anywhere, be it with or without quarantine or vaccination.

Really?

https://www.travelinglifestyle.net/countries-open-for-vaccinated-tourists-all-you-need-to-know/

Im actually suprised that you consider your worst nightmare to be the wasted time and expense of Thai quarantine.

You say you are going to U.S.A, so which state?

Are you not worried about picking up Covid while in the U.S and then having problems getting back into Thailand?

My worse nightmare is more to do with how the Thai authorities are treating people testing positive somewhere along the way, such as the Sandbox..

(forced into "hospitels" even if Asymptomatic and the like).

Will you need insurance on the way back in?

The E.U could also be blocking travel from the U.S, so could Thailand also follow suit?

I guess one can feel slightly more secure if getting a re-entry permit to return to Thailand with,

but things can change daily with all the nonsense thats going on in the world right now.

I certainly wouldnt be going anywhere if i absolutely didnt have to, and the Covid situation in places like Florida is hardly inspiring

Edited by pookondee

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

The OP is correct. Certainly in Europe there are few, if any, countries where you walk out of the airport and simply go about your daily business. As a bare minimum, most countries require that you take a test and quarantine until a negative result is confirmed. 

The site you quote also contains errors. They seem to think that Croatia, England(?) and Ireland are part of the Schengen zone. They aren't.

10 minutes ago, RayC said:

The OP is correct. Certainly in Europe there are few, if any, countries where you walk out of the airport and simply go about your daily business. As a bare minimum, most countries require that you take a test and quarantine until a negative result is confirmed. 

The site you quote also contains errors. They seem to think that Croatia, England(?) and Ireland are part of the Schengen zone. They aren't.

Well there may be some errors, my point is they are a damn sight easier than Thailand is to get in and out and move around and circulate.

11 minutes ago, VBF said:

@spidermike007 I read many of your posts with interests and enjoyment, liking some of them as I go.

I'm afraid that the questions that form the title of this thread could best be described as "rhetorical" 

I'd like to help you but neither of my crystal balls is working today ????

Seriously, with the speed with which things are changing both in Thailand and the USA (and most other places in the world) it'd be a brave person who would try and answer either question.

You didn't specifically ask for it but my advice would be "unless your trip is essential, stay where you are" or as a wise man once said to me:

"Do nothing.........immediately"  :sorry:

Not essential, but important for a number of reasons. We are going to risk it and go. I seriously need to get out of this place for awhile. Stir crazy does not even begin to describe it. 

I am afraid I might commit some major crimes and do some very foolish stuff, if I don't. LOL. 

I love Thailand, but I realize I cannot deal with this place for more than 6 months or so, without needing to get out of Dodge for awhile. That seems to keep me sane. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

high season?

Obviously the situation is very fluid and it is impossible to predict with any certainty what will be the situation in 2 weeks time, but you can make an educated guess.

I returned to UK in middle of July, to see new grandchild (and to get vaccinated). As cases in Thailand increased, and domestic airlines started cancelling, i knew it was go NOW or risk a world of hurt. Barely made it to Bangkok for my international flight (last flight from Udon Thani from any airline for some days). Rest of trip was OK. I was expecting Thailand to go on the UK red list at beginning of August, but as usual UK makes it's travel restrictions only after the horse has bolted.

I booked a return at the time for mid-October, in the hope that the current Thai wave will have died down, vaccination increased substantially and in the forlorn hope that Prauth's promises to open up Thailand in October actually happens. I do not want to quarantine in Bangkok, but if i have to, will (i may delay return by a few weeks if that helps). After all, criminals survive prison only slightly damaged, sure i can survive 2 weeks quarantine as long as i have my Netflix and computer games!

If anyone from UK actually decided to holiday for a few weeks in Phuket sandbox in August, and thought that they would have no issues returning to UK, was just stupid. So far i have guessed the pandemic mainly correctly over the last one and a half years, by monitoring trends. A little scientific background in biology helped as well. Remember the winter wave in the northern temperate countries will still occur.

I wouldn't waste your money coming to Thailand now.  Especially through the expensive Sandbox.  Just so you know 2 days of the 14 day quarantine you have to wait in your room for PCR test results. Nothing is open.  Most of the people who come are returning expats or Thais.  People who have family or business there.  Other than that its a waist of money.  Curfew at 9pm which limits your travel around the country, crime is up more than I have seen it before, and the vibe now is totally different.   One good thing is the beaches aren't as crowded but their is only so much beach you can do before wanting to do more.  Covid is out of control in Phuket as well.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not essential, but important for a number of reasons. We are going to risk it and go. I seriously need to get out of this place for awhile. Stir crazy does not even begin to describe it. 

I am afraid I might commit some major crimes and do some very foolish stuff, if I don't. LOL. 

I love Thailand, but I realize I cannot deal with this place for more than 6 months or so, without needing to get out of Dodge for awhile. That seems to keep me sane. 

We left Thailand in May, which was pretty good timing IMO. We don't have a return date yet, but definitely don't want to do 14 days in BKK quarantine. 

Drop a note if you're in the New England area. 

• Thanks 1