External optical drive: what's good?

yang123

After a decade of valiant service, my lap-top died recently.  No problem finding a replacement, but like 99% of lap-tops on today's market, it lacks an on-board optical drive for reading/writing to CD/DVDs. 

Not a big deal: the solution is to buy an external plug-in optical drive. 

Lazada has  a fair range, none of them particularly expensive, but I'd be grateful for any specific recommendations/warnings by BMs who've tried them. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/tag/optical-drive/

Thanks.

On a recent search I saw this one. Based on over a 1,000 buyer ratings and the high seller ratings I think it looks good for 482 baht but I don't have one myself. PC or Mac.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dvd-writer-external-cddvd-rw-usb-30-dvd-external-dvd-rw-geek-paradise-i236206684-s362383426.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tanomazu said:
2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have an LG that has performed very well for many years. Can't remember what  it cost, but it was cheap.

I have an LG GBP50NB40 and it is very reliable. Been going for years.

I have an LG model GP65NW60.

Took me 5 minutes to find it because I hardly ever use it!  ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And just in general: if you have access to a desktop PC with DVD-Drive you can also use that one. Just share the drive and you can use it like it's in your new notebook.

That´s a really good idea if you only use your laptop at the place you have your desktop PC. However, a laptop is many time something you take go to other places. In that case it will be really hard to change DVD. Therefore it will always be better with an external DVD player/writer.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1