Pet Tag Engravers

In the States the bigger pet stores have engraving machines.

You chose a metal tag (dozens to chose from, some bone-shaped, of course), pay for it, then take it to the machine and engrave on both sides.

On one side I engraved JING, the other the word REWARD and my cell number.

Living rural, I'd like a second tag in Thai, of course, so my question is has anyone seen these machines in LOS?

If not, has anyone knowledge of where I could take the tag to an engraver, like a jeweler perhaps?

Lots of pet stores either have a machine or take orders for a local company and post the tag to you. The choice isn't as big as you might be used to though. The place I went to only had circles or bones, so he ended up with a bone. You can also order them online through Lazada, etc., but I'd rather see a sample because some of them are quite flimsy. 

FWIW I would never put 'reward' on a dog tag. It just makes your dog a target to be stolen. In the UK they tell you not to put your dog's name on either because that also makes it easier for thieves and for someone to pretend it's their dog. But I have my dog's name on one side and phone numbers on the other.

Once you are settled somewhere, make a point of introducing Jing to the local mototaxi guys. Everywhere we go now our local guys call out to him when they pass us. (They have no idea what my name is, but they all know my dog.) If he ever got out, they would probably find him before I even realised he was missing. 

• Like 1

Next time you're in a town with a sizable market, scope out the various vendors etc outside the place.  You're liable to see a chap with an electric engraving tool and a bunch of implements for repairing jewelry, it may be the guy whose main business is changing watch batteries.  Have the text of what you want engraved on a piece of paper.  I would guess a jewelry shop would charge much more.

I don't know it people get engraving on their amulets; if so, a vendor might be able to steer you in the right direction.

I agree with the above post that putting the word "reward" on it may not be a good idea.

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1

No kidding? They have the machines in LOS? Thanks!

My bungalow is very rural on a dead end road near the beach. I know everyone within a mile or more. I'm well-liked (go figure!) and no one there would think of stealing her.

Thing is, she is also an eye catcher. Black and white Border collie/Australian shepard mix with pale blue eyes. Dog haters love her.

So my concern is, if she did make it a few miles up the road and somebody nabbed her (she will come to anyone!) they might just want to be the only kids on the block with a non-thai dog.

Putting REWARD on the tag might sway them. 

Decisions, decisions.....

21 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

So my concern is, if she did make it a few miles up the road and somebody nabbed her (she will come to anyone!) they might just want to be the only kids on the block with a non-thai dog.

Putting REWARD on the tag might sway them. 

Maybe try to come up with something cautionary to prevent them from wanting to keep (or sell) her, and that can be expressed in a few short words.  E.g. "careful, she bites" but that can be used in the negative as well. 

Once the word about reward gets circulated, local lads might take to "hiding" the farang's dog for a few hours for the purpose of bringing her back, with their hands out.