Qantas - World's Worse Airline - Or 2nd Best ?

peter991

Qantas rejects 'worst airline' label

Qantas has been forced to defend its customer service after being voted the worst international airline in an Australian survey.

The survey of 4,000 subscribers to consumer magazine Choice also found Qantas' domestic service was outshone by all rivals except its low-cost subsidiary Jetstar.

Qantas executive general manager John Borghetti refused to accept the airline's service was not as good as it had once been.

"I absolutely, categorically deny that," Mr Borghetti told reporters in Melbourne.

"Our cabin crew are the best in the world, there is no doubt about that, they're doing an exceptionally good job and especially in the last couple of years our service levels have gone even higher, so I absolutely refute that."

In the Choice survey, Singapore Airlines was voted top international airline while Regional Express was the favoured domestic operator.

Choice asked subscribers to rate airlines for value for money, booking processes, convenience, the check-in procedure, inflight service, including food and entertainment, as well as seat comfort, leg room and cleanliness.

Respondents were asked to rate up to three international airlines they had used in the last three years, in categories such as inflight service, leg room and value for money.

Singapore Airlines was first, followed by Emirates, Air New Zealand, Malaysian Airlines, Thai Airways, Cathay Pacific and Qantas, which rated lowest in almost all categories, including inflight service.

Qantas scored 63 per cent compared to Singapore Airline's 78 per cent.

On the domestic front, Qantas scored 67 per cent, with consumers labelling the service "arrogant and aloof", while Jetstar scored just 62 per cent.

One respondent described Jetstar staff as "uniformly surly, unhelpful and most definitely unwelcoming".

Mr Borghetti said: "Our research says the opposite."

He said the Choice survey was small in comparison to regular research used by Qantas.

"For the last two years running, Skytrax, which is probably the most reputable worldwide, renowned airline research company, which, may I add, surveys 13.5 million people, voted Qantas the second-best airline in the world," Mr Borghetti said.

"In our research, and we research very heavily, obviously - every month, we know that the ratings we're getting now are amongst the highest we've ever had.

"So, I think there's research and there's research."

Victorian Premier Steve Bracks also defended Qantas, after announcing the airline would fly directly between Melbourne and Shanghai twice a week, beginning next March.

"My view, and I think the view generally around Australia is that Qantas is one of the great airlines in the world, I certainly hold that view," Mr Bracks said.

The Qantas Group flies more than 34 million passengers a year, a Qantas spokesman said.

Regional Express won a survey-high rating of 79 per cent followed by Virgin Blue with 71 per cent.

"Virgin Blue staff attempt to make what is a reasonably unpleasant experience flying with a no-frills service, light-hearted and enjoyable," one respondent said.

Peter

P.S. My holidays were changed yesterday - instead of flying BNE to BKK on 24 July - I am flying 13 June. QANTAS's best fare (inc. all taxes and charges) for the return trip: $AUD1380. Thai Airways: $AUD802.36

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home country international airlines are in general always more expensive from their point of origin to somewhere else as in your case BNE-BKK. Qantas home country airline. BKK - LHR on Qantas can be gotten for 12,000 Baht cheaper than Thai Airways. China Airlines SFO - BKK at 900USD versus United or Northwest at 1100. The international airlines can play with the commission that they pay to airlines and such. This is not a hard rule but working for an international airline I see this all the time.

Now in regard to Qantas being the worst airline. Compared to Thai, Malaysian, Cathay Pacific, Emirates and especially Singapore Airlines I would have to agree. Air New Zealand...hmmm that I would have to doubt! Now compare Qantas to United, Northwest, British Airways, Finnair, SAS then I would say Qantas would come out on Top....

Enjoy your holidays here!!!!

On the domestic front, Qantas scored 67 per cent, with consumers labelling the service "arrogant and aloof", while Jetstar scored just 62 per cent.

Spot on.... Qantas cabin crew are almost as obnoxious as your average Australian Immigration officer.

Qantas seem to recruit all the unfriendly Aussies they can find.... Emirates on the other hand also have plenty of Aussie cabin crew, yet they're perfectly pleasant...

Mind you, United wasn't in the International airlines included in the survey :o

, so they're not strictly, truly at the bottom - but they are <deleted>.

Qantas has been forced to defend its customer service after being voted the worst international airline in an Australian survey.

The survey of 4,000 subscribers to consumer magazine Choice also found Qantas' domestic service was outshone by all rivals except its low-cost subsidiary Jetstar.

Qantas executive general manager John Borghetti refused to accept the airline's service was not as good as it had once been.

"I absolutely, categorically deny that," Mr Borghetti told reporters in Melbourne.

"Our cabin crew are the best in the world, there is no doubt about that, they're doing an exceptionally good job and especially in the last couple of years our service levels have gone even higher, so I absolutely refute that."

In the Choice survey, Singapore Airlines was voted top international airline while Regional Express was the favoured domestic operator.

Choice asked subscribers to rate airlines for value for money, booking processes, convenience, the check-in procedure, inflight service, including food and entertainment, as well as seat comfort, leg room and cleanliness.

Respondents were asked to rate up to three international airlines they had used in the last three years, in categories such as inflight service, leg room and value for money.

Singapore Airlines was first, followed by Emirates, Air New Zealand, Malaysian Airlines, Thai Airways, Cathay Pacific and Qantas, which rated lowest in almost all categories, including inflight service.

Qantas scored 63 per cent compared to Singapore Airline's 78 per cent.

One respondent described Jetstar staff as "uniformly surly, unhelpful and most definitely unwelcoming".

Mr Borghetti said: "Our research says the opposite."

He said the Choice survey was small in comparison to regular research used by Qantas.

"For the last two years running, Skytrax, which is probably the most reputable worldwide, renowned airline research company, which, may I add, surveys 13.5 million people, voted Qantas the second-best airline in the world," Mr Borghetti said.

"In our research, and we research very heavily, obviously - every month, we know that the ratings we're getting now are amongst the highest we've ever had.

"So, I think there's research and there's research."

Victorian Premier Steve Bracks also defended Qantas, after announcing the airline would fly directly between Melbourne and Shanghai twice a week, beginning next March.

"My view, and I think the view generally around Australia is that Qantas is one of the great airlines in the world, I certainly hold that view," Mr Bracks said.

The Qantas Group flies more than 34 million passengers a year, a Qantas spokesman said.

Regional Express won a survey-high rating of 79 per cent followed by Virgin Blue with 71 per cent.

"Virgin Blue staff attempt to make what is a reasonably unpleasant experience flying with a no-frills service, light-hearted and enjoyable," one respondent said.

Peter

P.S. My holidays were changed yesterday - instead of flying BNE to BKK on 24 July - I am flying 13 June. QANTAS's best fare (inc. all taxes and charges) for the return trip: $AUD1380. Thai Airways: $AUD802.36

good to see the premier steve bracks get behind the airline, i wonder when was the last time he actually flew something other than first class, let alone pay for a ticket, us poor tax payers get lumbered with that bill

for me singapore is the way to go, excellent service, edible food even in economy, and they dont stop smiling all the way there and back, have not travelled qantas intenational before but plenty of friends have and will never again and most agree singapore is right up there, as for domestic travel id rather take the car than go qantas, virgins ok ,you pay for what you get, the best was ansett , but it goes to show great servicedoesnt get you to far in the oz domestic scene

I have never used qantas because they are always much more expensive than many other airlines.

I have a flight from Melbourne to Bangkok on Monday with Jetstar, cost $300 AUD including taxes.

Who really wants to eat the shitty airline food anyway?

I have never used qantas because they are always much more expensive than many other airlines.

I have a flight from Melbourne to Bangkok on Monday with Jetstar, cost $300 AUD including taxes.

I used to fly london bangkok every month and sometimes more often for 5 years, as i paid for my own ticket i always shopped around for the cheapest direct flight, never once did i fly with Quantas/BA, always at least 150 quid more than Thai/Eva ,booked through west east travel in london, even now there prices cant be bettered, and no i dont work for them ! .Iwould have liked to be a bit patriotic and fly with BA/Quantas ,but money talks, and from what im reading here i havent missed much !

I used to fly london bangkok every month and sometimes more often for 5 years, as i paid for my own ticket i always shopped around for the cheapest direct flight, never once did i fly with Quantas/BA, always at least 150 quid more than Thai/Eva ,booked through west east travel in london, even now there prices cant be bettered, and no i dont work for them ! .Iwould have liked to be a bit patriotic and fly with BA/Quantas ,but money talks, and from what im reading here i havent missed much !

It is still the same, my family is coming out in Nov and I put them onto west east and they got it 100 quid or so cheaper than anywhere else.

It is still the same, my family is coming out in Nov and I put them onto west east and they got it 100 quid or so cheaper than anywhere else.

Yes, i find i dont even bother to look elsewhere and always recommend westeast to friends visiting now we live here, my friend is collecting his daughter here in 2 weeks,( 4 year old ) im trying to arrange the flight for her today ,got quoted 25ooo baht one way today ! seems a lot but he has no choice as they are coming over on returns and want her on the same flight back, its less to buy a return in london !

I must agree with the survey's findings that Singapore Airlines is top compared to others.

As far as prices of tickets are concerned, you can't blame them (Qantas) for not being the cheapest knowing that their cost are much higher than Thai Airways even if you only think of the salary scales of their staff.

Service wise, it really depends on the mood of the crew of that day for Qantas as they make or break a flight. This is cultural as they seem to think they have the right to express their moods of the day.

Asian Airlines crew tend to be able to do the job with a smile as they are trained and expected to do whatever their own state of mind.

Singapore Airlines is quite an exception. They have rather expensive cost (their pilots and crews are very well paid compared to other Asian carriers), they keep renewing their fleets with the best inflight seating/entertainment/food/drinks in all classes and they manage to be profitable !

When I coem back from Sydney to Singapore it is always very diffcult to get a seat confirmation in any class but alwasy easy with Qantas or BA. This even though Singapore Airlines flies 3 747s a day and at least in first or business class are as or even more expensive than Qantas.

I avoid 'western' airlines as they make travel an unpleasant experience

Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, All Nippon Airlines, Thai International, Evan Air are the way to go

I actually look forward to the Korean dishes Asiana serves.

As for US airlines being poor, I can't say that about Alaska/Horizon Airlines. Top quality crews and service. :o

Air Canada is a basketcase airline held in a stranglehold by it's unions.

Fortunately now that I am now retired I seldom have to fly. In the past I have found all western airlines and particularly those with a unionized flight crew to be surly and seem to resent having to take care of passengers. On the other hand, all the Asian carriers seem to have a much more cheerful flight crew and they are much more attentive.

I agree with the post by Coops.

Qantas crew and Australian Immigration staff must have the same training.

They are generally surly and Unhelpful.

Qantas Business class crew are a different breed.

Their service is great, and attention to detail is second to none.

Qantas domestic staff need to get on a Virgin Blue flight and take a look to the way their staff conduct themselves.

Virgin is a no frills airline, but the staff make it less of an orderl with their positive attitude and some humor.

I have always found Thai flightcrew to be helpful and friendly.

Singapore airlines and Emirates are still the best for International travel in my books.

All these comments!! and no one mentions Alitalia, without doubt the worst airline in the world, we were on a flight from Rome to Heathrow , 5 of the cabin crew were drunk ,2 of the hostesses had a fight and a passenger was struck with a coffeepot, first time I have ever seen cabin staff in handcuffs, the outside toilets were very draughty too :o Nignoy

I rate Qantas staff pretty low for friendliness and food, but very high in actual competence of the crew. If something goes wrong I'd much rather be on a Qantas flight. But in 'situation normal', I like Thai.

Worst service I have experienced: Lufthansa. Outright insulting to one of our staff.

All these comments!! and no one mentions Alitalia, without doubt the worst airline in the world, we were on a flight from Rome to Heathrow , 5 of the cabin crew were drunk ,2 of the hostesses had a fight and a passenger was struck with a coffeepot, first time I have ever seen cabin staff in handcuffs, the outside toilets were very draughty too :D Nignoy

That brought tears to my eyes Nig, still laughing now :D

we used to joke about how yo tell the alitalia jet

thats the one with the hairs under the wings :o

I rate Qantas staff pretty low for friendliness and food, but very high in actual competence of the crew. If something goes wrong I'd much rather be on a Qantas flight. But in 'situation normal', I like Thai.

Worst service I have experienced: Lufthansa. Outright insulting to one of our staff.

I have only flown Qantas a few times domestic in Australia & found them ok. Going to Perth with Qantas July so I'll find out more.

Worst international carrier has to be Alitalia (for me anyway). I flew Sydney - Rome return & one flight we had 4 toilets blocked & overflowing plus 2 stewards having a tiff with one guy wanting to put his fist into the wall. It did shake a few people seeing these hostess staff arguing. Also the flight from Rome to Bangkok we had a very hard landing. Alitalia Never Again!

I fly Qantas domestic a LOT, they are always top notch (just not as bubbly and enthusiastic as Virgin-Blue). The service and attention in Qantas Biz class is bloody awesome.

No surprise to see Jetstar come last, while fine for the price on the domestic routes, The International route (Aus to bkk/sgn/hkt)... is a complete shit-show.

(Nice to know Qantas still doesn't fall outta the sky).

I think Qantas (on it's international routes) are about somewhere in the middle for it's services, but the comment below is the one thing that makes you get that "feel good/safe" feeling when flying with them.

I've only been in their economy, but I find it ordinary in terms of service and poor space/comfort. 31" seat pitch doesn't cut it and means that I just will not fly them long haul. Their business class is very expensive relative to Thai, meaning that I overlook them automatically. I would consider BA premium economy, which Qantas don't have, but otherwise put BA in the same box.

I agree about Aus customs and immigration as well.. Welcome to East Germany..

Bit of a myth about them not having had an accident considering the close thing they had in Thailand in '99. Only reason their record is still clean is that they paid over the odds to repair the plane rather than write it off and have a hull loss against their name.

Bit of a myth about them not having had an accident considering the close thing they had in Thailand in '99. Only reason their record is still clean is that they paid over the odds to repair the plane rather than write it off and have a hull loss against their name.

It's not a myth about them having zero fatalities. However many airlines have such excellent safety records that that statistical differences are almost nil. If you want to say Qantas is safer than Garuda or Thai then you'd be right, but BA has only had one fatal crash in it's history and that was 100% the fault of the air traffic controller. Considering how many more flights BA has had over the years, that's pretty miraculous.

What a nonsense.

Could not Garuda, Korean Air, Aeroflot, Pulkovo and other rubbish airlines pay any kind of money to keep their records clean?

What a nonsense.

Could not Garuda, Korean Air, Aeroflot, Pulkovo and other rubbish airlines pay any kind of money to keep their records clean?

There's no way you can hide that many fatal crashes.

Remind me of the BA crash... I can't remember one, though I know BOAC had some..

Sept 10, 1976 - Hawker Trident

The aircraft crashed after colliding with an Inex Adria DC-9-31 (see previous record) over the Zagreb VOR. ATC was found liable for the accident and one controller was sentenced to seven years in prison.

-airdisaster.com

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/airline...British+Airways

BA has only had one fatal crash in it's history and that was 100% the fault of the air traffic controller. Considering how many more flights BA has had over the years, that's pretty miraculous.

It was in 1976, over former Yugoslavia. The whole Manchester United team got killed. Air traffic control mistake.

The guy (air traffic controller) was imprisoned and the former Yu dictator pardoned him, just before his (Tito's) death.

Remind me of the BA crash... I can't remember one, though I know BOAC had some..

There were 2 or 3 (1 maybe with some other airline, Egypt Air?) with the Comet jet. That was the dawn of jet aircrafts, I think it does not count against the modern era of travel.

Edited by think_too_mut

I fly Qantas domestic a LOT, they are always top notch (just not as bubbly and enthusiastic as Virgin-Blue). The service and attention in Qantas Biz class is bloody awesome.

No surprise to see Jetstar come last, while fine for the price on the domestic routes, The International route (Aus to bkk/sgn/hkt)... is a complete shit-show.

But what about longhaul jingjoe ? Try flying the " kangaroo route " ( via Singapore )

on Qantas and then on SIA and I will bet any money you would have to the LEVEL

OF SERVICE and POLITE CABIN CREWS are incomparable on SIA :o