House Perimeter Wall/Fence

Steps

Hi All,

I am looking into the best options for a perimeter wall or fence. We have:

• Wood
  • Concrete
  • Wire with concrete posts
  • Metal mesh fence with concrete posts ect

In your experience and opinion, what the best cost effective, sturdy and durable options?

Much appreciated

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Depends on what you want it for?

Keep the dog in/pot?

Privacy? Lecher next-door can't see in.

Aesthetics?

Mainly to establish and to some extent secure the perimeter. There is no real danger of intruders coming in, except for the family behind who did apparently wonder in one night and take a couple of chairs. The missus want to grow fruits and vegetables, so i think the first step is to set the perimeter, then we can start to clean the land and organize it properly.

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Then a simple rural concrete post and wire job. The posts come with holes every 200mm for a single strand of solid wire.

Great. The missus was suggesting this as an option so good to see a fellow expat recommending also. I will look into pricing for this option. Cheers

We're in the process of fencing in our property. 

We have a problem with semi wild dogs scavenging around at night (owned, but not fed by local a...holes),  so are going with the wire mesh option.  Sorry, early days  can't compare prices.

Would prefer star pickets to concrete posts, but when in Rome...

Chainlink fencing with concrete posts - FRS Fencing

21 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Then a simple rural concrete post and wire job. The posts come with holes every 200mm for a single strand of solid wire.

Yes this is a good solution to let people know they can not come in,if you need to upgrade it

later you can just add chainlink wire.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

We're in the process of fencing in our property. 

We have a problem with semi wild dogs scavenging around at night (owned, but not fed by local a...holes),  so are going with the wire mesh option.  Sorry, early days  can't compare prices.

Would prefer star pickets to concrete posts, but when in Rome...

Chainlink fencing with concrete posts - FRS Fencing

I like that option. The only issue with the picture is i think the fence is too low. I think i would prefer something a bit taller. Want to prevent the neighbors behind stepping over it in the night.

3 hours ago, Steps said:

How tall can you get these posts?

Our posts are 2 meters high and we have the 4 inch square ones,i believe you can also get them

in 2.5 and 3 meters.We dug 50cm deep holes and poured cement around them,strong.

• Thanks 1

I'd go concrete.

Its expensive initially but you can repaint it every few years to make it look new.

The bottom line comes down to your budget.  Concrete fencing is not cheap.

Remember this frames your house.  

Its like a haircut, get a good one.

The end use is really the driver here, around our home myself and wife erected a concrete post barb wire 4 strand fence. Good fun and to this day years later still looking ok so can reflect on a job well done.

2 things to note the posts can come with 2 short wires at set intervals on the post that bend to hold your running wire in place. Very easy.

Also I would suggest buying say 4 inch sq concrete post with a 6 inch square foot, saves having to put any concrete to hold the base and the post straight. Though a little more difficult to plant. 

For our grass land where we need to keep out roaming cattle we have same concrete posts but used square mesh similar to 'old croc' photo.

I dislike concrete block walls interrupts lines of sight in the open countryside but that is just my preference.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, jvs said:

Our posts are 2 meters high and we have the 4 inch square ones,i believe you can also get them

in 2.5 and 3 meters.We dug 50cm deep holes and poured cement around them,strong.

This is great info. I will keep this in mind when we go shopping in the next few days. Thank you.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I'd go concrete.

Its expensive initially but you can repaint it every few years to make it look new.

The bottom line comes down to your budget.  Concrete fencing is not cheap.

Remember this frames your house.  

Its like a haircut, get a good one.

I agree in that if it was my own house, i would most definitely go for concrete. However, this is the missuses family home and i believe they would be happy to accept any help. I will therefore go for a more cost effective option but you are right, concrete is a more durable solution.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 473geo said:

The end use is really the driver here, around our home myself and wife erected a concrete post barb wire 4 strand fence. Good fun and to this day years later still looking ok so can reflect on a job well done.

2 things to note the posts can come with 2 short wires at set intervals on the post that bend to hold your running wire in place. Very easy.

Also I would suggest buying say 4 inch sq concrete post with a 6 inch square foot, saves having to put any concrete to hold the base and the post straight. Though a little more difficult to plant. 

For our grass land where we need to keep out roaming cattle we have same concrete posts but used square mesh similar to 'old croc' photo.

I dislike concrete block walls interrupts lines of sight in the open countryside but that is just my preference.

More great info. Cheers

It really depends how long you have been married:

a)     0-2 years: you should be concentrating on her learning cooking skills and internal work, but this may be a chance to start her outside work experience, working with the contractors. Start her on something simple like digging foundations.

b)     You should have her doing basic brickworking by now, so a simple concrete block fence would not be too challenging I think.

c)     >5 years. Time to get her on to something more challenging. How about some nice brickwork arches, or - if there is a stone quarry nearby - perhaps some dressed masonry.

A collection of sheds fit nicely in the arches, for when you want to get out of the house.

d)     >20 years. Fences and walls around the property are not advisable, as they hinder a rapid departure.

Glad to be of help.

Sat 04 Sep

iu-2.jpeg

iu.jpeg

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Another plus with the more open concrete post and 4 strand method, allows trees and shrubs to grow along the fence line. Possibly what your wife has in mind. We have 8 different types of shrubs/trees in our perimeter fence line 

Yes we were thinking of that. Maybe intertwine some plants as well as grow plants and bushes along the perimeter.

I have noticed that the land behind, where the neighbors are behind seems to be.... contaminated due to water running out of a drain from the bathroom. We will therefore grow plants there and use the "clean" land for the fruits and vegetables, herbs and spices.

1 minute ago, Mario Cosmopolite said:

It really depends how long you have been married:

a)     0-2 years: you should be concentrating on her learning cooking skills and internal work, but this may be a chance to start her outside work experience, working with the contractors. Start her on something simple like digging foundations.

b)     You should have her doing basic brickworking by now, so a simple concrete block fence would not be too challenging I think.

c)     >5 years. Time to get her on to something more challenging. How about some nice brickwork arches, or - if there is a stone quarry nearby - perhaps some dressed masonry.

A collection of sheds fit nicely in the arches, for when you want to get out of the house.

d)     >20 years. Fences and walls around the property are not advisable, as they hinder a rapid departure.

Glad to be of help.

Sat 04 Sep

iu-2.jpeg

iu.jpeg

I don't know if this was meant to be funny or not but this cracked me up 555. I can just picture you (an expat) there sitting in you recliner with a Leo in hand, smoking a pipe whilst the missus is building arches. "Hey love, a bit more to the left there with that one....." 55555

3 hours ago, Steps said:

I agree in that if it was my own house, i would most definitely go for concrete. However, this is the missuses family home and i believe they would be happy to accept any help. I will therefore go for a more cost effective option but you are right, concrete is a more durable solution.

Good luck.

Nice of you to help out.