Rental Home Search and Real Estate Agents

dsmiththailand

Hi All,

Newly retired couple to Pattaya.  We are currently looking for a long term home rental (willing to sign up a 5 year rental contract) and wondering any tips and tricks any local expats can share with us in looking for a rental home.  Our perfect home would be a newer 3 bedroom/2 bath home with private pool, in a location walking distance to a few coffee shops and restaurants, in a secured guarded community which our budget can go up to 30,000baht per month.

A few questions that we have are as follows:

(1) If working with an agent, how does the agent make their money? do we pay a commission or is that the owner of the home?

(2) If we find a home from a web search that is being listed by multiple different rental agencies, is there a way for us to find out who the home owner is so we can directly communicate with the home owner? 

(3) From what i can read online, it seems 2 months deposit and one month rental is standard now. Is that correct?  If not, what is the base way to negoitate only 1 month deposit with the agent?

(4) When negoiating with the agent to have the owner lower the monthly rental price, how can i confirm the agent is actually trying to get the price lower versus just telling me the owner is not willing to lower the rent?  Just worried the agent may not want the rental rate lower as it may effect their commission.

Thanks for any advice provided.

Just my two cents from 15 visits there over the last 17 years.  Do NOT put down a huge deposit. If they demand it, then walk away.  I caution against a long term lease as you mentioned 5 years.  Things change.  I would not do any longer than a one year lease.  I highly recommend you keep some options open when committing to anything long term in Thailand.    As for commissions, you will rarely get the full story.  Simply smile and agree to pay what you think is fair.  Some rents and lease rates are pretty low right now.  I however, would not trust such a low rate being honored for 3 or 5 years, especially if Pattaya's situation improves.  I know you would have a contract at what might be a low price now and supposedly guaranteed for 5 years.  But temptations, pressures, etc.  can arise.  It is not unheard of to see things happen that induce a renter to move out. 

• Thanks 1

Never Rented Here. House Lease Owner. Do Consider Purchase. 

Five Years Rent at 30k monthly is 1.8 million baht.Ten Years =3.6 mill.

Seen Nice Family Houses Selling for 3-4 mill.baht

Or Foreigner Freehold Condo. Salable & Transferable Asset. No Lost Rent. 

So Many Rental Horror Stories here, mainly Lost Deposits and False Damage Claims……

however, some rental suggestions……. if you must :-

Select & Tour Areas to Find Individual Properties.

Make Direct Contact with Owners.

Developer Purchase or Rentals offer Best Maintenance / Common Area…..

Avoid All Agents (where possible)

Buyers Market.

Rent Unfurnished (Long Term).

Strictly Zero Deposit or Walk.

Pay Half the Asking Rent Fixed for Lease Period.

Pay Separate Utilities in your Name at Billed Cost.

Establish Common Area / Facilities Responsibilities

Use Lawyer for Rent Agreement.

Purchase & Install your Own Movable Furniture & Equipment 

Repair All Your Own Damage Yourself. Difficult to Cause Damage if Unfurnished.

All Other Damage Strictly By Owner at Owner Cost

Or if Owner uncooperative, arrange repairs yourself & deduct from rent.

Live There for One Month Trial before Signing Lease.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Seen Nice Family Houses Selling for 3-4 mill.baht

I doubt you can find a quite good house for 3-4 million and if it would be in the middle of the nowhere far behind the dark side.

I would not "buy" a home that I cannot own. If you want own a property, buy a (more expensive) condo. 

30k for a rented home close to the city seems realistic to me if the expectations are not to high.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, thaiclan said:

Be aware there are no zoning or planning laws in Pattaya.  I have heard many stories of people renting and buying only to find a karaoke, repair garage or something opening up next door or very near. If this happens there is nothing you can do about it other than move out. Same goes for plain old noisy neighbours or with noisy pets. If you are renting for 5 years it will cost you to break your contract.

Rent on a yearly basis at most.

I think there are regulations about opening bars within a particular distance to schools, but like anything else it will happen. My worst nightmare would be a karaoke opening nearby, there is only one position for their volume dial!