AirAsia: Now anyone can fly - so long as you have the correct mask

webfact

5pm1.jpg

file photo

Daily News reported that AirAsia started flying again yesterday on 11 internal routes in Thailand. 

The news would be greeted with cheers for people wanting to fly home, suggested the media, but people needed to be aware of a mask announcement before boarding.

The airline said that in line with CDC and WHO recommendations masks with breathing valves are not allowed on their flights.

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Travellers needed to wear an allowable mask at all times when on their flights.

No acceptable mask and you can't fly. 

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Haha 2

It gets crazier.... 

The the reasons mask wear is advised is to prevent a wider spread ‘aerosol’ from exiting a person, i.e. when a persons talks, laughs, coughs etc - the mask acts as a ‘barrier’.

But, the aerosol still continues to exit through the gaps in the mask; gaps around the nose and area’s around the nose and cheeks. 

I also understand why ‘someone’ may suspect the ‘valve’ of a mask allows the ‘free expulsion’ of air through the mask, but is that really any different from a normal mask?

IF this person in a position of decision making power in Air-Asia is making these changes will we soon be traveling in a HAZMAT suit ??

First there was the debate about the effectiveness of wearing a mask in the first place, now the debate is going to rage about the quality of Mask. 

An FFP3 mask is obviously better than an FFP1 mask... But according to AirAsia its not... 

https://www.ukmeds.co.uk/blog/what-s-the-difference-between-ffp1-ffp2-and-ffp3-face-masks

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 10.18.14.png

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 10.18.23.png

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 10.18.33.png

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It gets crazier.... 

The the reasons mask wear is advised is to prevent a wider spread ‘aerosol’ from exiting a person, i.e. when a persons talks, laughs, coughs etc - the mask acts as a ‘barrier’.

But, the aerosol still continues to exit through the gaps in the mask; gaps around the nose and area’s around the nose and cheeks. 

I also understand why ‘someone’ may suspect the ‘valve’ of a mask allows the ‘free expulsion’ of air through the mask, but is that really any different from a normal mask?

IF this person in a position of decision making power in Air-Asia is making these changes will we soon be traveling in a HAZMAT suit ??

First there was the debate about the effectiveness of wearing a mask in the first place, now the debate is going to rage about the quality of Mask. 

An FFP3 mask is obviously better than an FFP1 mask... But according to AirAsia its not... 

https://www.ukmeds.co.uk/blog/what-s-the-difference-between-ffp1-ffp2-and-ffp3-face-masks

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 10.18.14.png

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 10.18.23.png

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 10.18.33.png

I think the key element is the size of the droplets, the bigger they are the more likely the virus is to spread.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I did actually see something akin to this on a flight from Phuket to Bangkok.

Masked visored, gloves disposable raincoat.

Sad

The airline said that in line with CDC and WHO recommendations masks with breathing valves are not allowed on their flights.

Airline run by morons. Basic rubbish mask with a valve may not offer protection but a properly rated N95 or similar mask with a valve does. 

Here's also what the CDC says: 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/respirator-use-faq.html

Yes, an N95 filtering facepiece respirator will protect you and provide source control to protect others. A NIOSH-approved N95 filtering facepiece respirator with an exhalation valve offers the same protection to the wearer as one that does not have a valve. As source control, findings from NIOSH research suggest that, even without covering the valve, N95 respirators with exhalation valves provide the same or better source control than surgical masks, procedure masks, cloth masks, or fabric coverings. In general, individuals wearing NIOSH-approved N95s with an exhalation valve should not be asked to use one without an exhalation valve or to cover it with a face covering or mask. However, NIOSH-approved N95 respirators with an exhalation valve are not fluid resistant. Therefore, in situations where a fluid resistant respirator is indicated (e.g., in surgical settings), individuals should wear a surgical N95 or, if a surgical N95 is not available, cover their respirator with a surgical mask or a face shield.  Be careful not to compromise the fit of the respirator when placing a facemask over the respirator.

Any other airline would supply the correct masks to passengers who not have them. AA were ok 10 years ago but then they sold there sole to the Chinese tourism and now they a low budget/quality  airline 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

Any other airline would supply the correct masks to passengers who not have them. AA were ok 10 years ago but then they sold there sole to the Chinese tourism and now they a low budget/quality  airline 

The Heels! ????

Those blue hospital masks are probably the most confortable and easiest to breath in.  Even more than cotton masks.  As long as they continue allowing those I'm good.  Those N95 masks are designed to seal around your face so they are not as comfortable and harder to breath.

Edited by shdmn

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It gets crazier.... 

I had valved masks early on. The hole created when you breathe is big enough that you can practically spit out of it. Not effective in protecting other people at all.

If you wear a mask properly, there should be no gaps. A majority of the droplets will be caught by the mask. Of course, like most things there is no 100%.

• Like 1

Instead of making it sound like an ultimatum, they should state the required mask will be distributed when boarding and all passengers must wear it (exceptions will arise, cor). 

Raise the ticket price by US$0.05 to cover the financial burden of it.

As Martin Yan says "not a big deal!"

AA has always been pennywise.  I used them lots in the past, no traumatic experiences, but I hated the way they tried to trip you into buying things when doing web booking.