ATM issues

I've used my UK issued cards in ATMs over here without trouble for years. Over the last week I noticed processing stops because of "incomplete data" or the transaction stops at the last hurdle for a couple of minutes before giving a time out message. Checked with UK and cards are good.

Has anyone else noticed issues with ATMs or tied to get cash advance in a bank while showing passport and mastercard?

3 hours ago, Twigtom said:

"incomplete data" or the transaction stops at the last hurdle for a couple of minutes before giving a time out message.

Sounds like a poorly technical problem.

How many different ATMs have you tried?

New style Kasikorn ATMs have been timing out at the very end of the transaction for a couple of months now..

Old style still work most of the time, but sometimes return "card expired. Contact issuing bank".  Immediately re-insert card and it processes normally.

It's not a temporary thing..

Edited by bobbin

On 9/4/2021 at 12:50 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Kasikorn ATM couldn't read card the other day, another ATM was fine. 

Can easily go in branch with card and passport and withdraw, usually a lot more than ATM limit, plus should avoid ATM fee

I've had the same problem with my Kasikorn ATM card, when converted from 4 to 6 digits pin code. Some machines said cannot read.... Still sometimes problems occur, simply go to to SCB or Bangkok bank ATM right next to it and it works, why? Wonders and miracles of technology....

On 9/4/2021 at 2:09 PM, bobbin said:

New style Kasikorn ATMs have been timing out at the very end of the transaction for a couple of months now..

Old style still work most of the time, but sometimes return "card expired. Contact issuing bank".  Immediately re-insert card and it processes normally.

It's not a temporary thing..

All Covid related...????????????

On 9/4/2021 at 6:45 PM, Twigtom said:

Thank you guys for your help. Having tried several atm,s I will visit the bank with passport option, rather than possibly losing my card.

Had problems here at a couple of ATMs also with my Thai debit card, Message was something like incorrect data, removed the card, wiped it on my shirt, (this happened at the same atm several times, i now avoid using it) hey presto it works fine. As i'm typing this I am now wondering when they are spraying alcohol in these times to 'clean' the ATMs some is going into the card entry point. 

• Like 2

I used to use my German ATM at the Bangkok bank, no problems, then one day it told me there were 'issues' but other banks accepted the card. I complained to Bangkok bank and the issue was resolved but 3 months later the same problem occurred, it seems to be a technical administrative problem.

On 9/4/2021 at 12:50 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Kasikorn ATM couldn't read card the other day, another ATM was fine. 

Can easily go in branch with card and passport and withdraw, usually a lot more than ATM limit, plus should avoid ATM fee

I have never tried to go inside bank with a UK debit card to get cash is it really possible and do you not have to pay the 180 bht fee?

12 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

I have never tried to go inside bank with a UK debit card to get cash is it really possible and do you not have to pay the 180 bht fee?

Depends on the bank/branch (some might not have the tech, others just not want to deal with it); you'll need your passport with you. I've mainly used SCB, no "ATM" fee as far as I'm aware (can't say I checked).

54 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Depends on the bank/branch (some might not have the tech, others just not want to deal with it); you'll need your passport with you. I've mainly used SCB, no "ATM" fee as far as I'm aware (can't say I checked).

Yes, if you dont use an ATM, then you dont have to pay an ATM fee

Some banks chek for unuselig behawior, for your securety.
If you sudently start to use a card in another contry, the transaktion might be stopped by your bank. (They think your card might have been stolen)

Some banks, have for that reason, so you can online tell them you will be in Thailand from xxx to xxx, so a transaktion from Thailand will not get stopped in that time.

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Had problems here at a couple of ATMs also with my Thai debit card, Message was something like incorrect data, removed the card, wiped it on my shirt, (this happened at the same atm several times, i now avoid using it) hey presto it works fine. As i'm typing this I am now wondering when they are spraying alcohol in these times to 'clean' the ATMs some is going into the card entry point. 

As long as it's alcohol it won't cause a problem - have used 90% Isopropyl Alcohol for many years to clean electronic components - it evaporates in seconds. However, if it's combined with some soapy gunk that leaves deposits on the ATM components, that might cause a problem.

• Like 1

Similar story.

Repeated problems with ATMs - whereas none before, using the same card, same ATMs.

Contacted 'home' bank to eliminate that variable but card appears to be fine.

Now use cash withdrawal inside the bank, using card and passport. I obscured the three digit CVC number, as the bank clerks habitually photocopy both sides of the card, plus all the usual Indian Civil Service style xeroxed duplication of signatures, contact details, passport information, etc. 

I've done the same process six times now, each time creating the same thin sheaf of paperwork. It's similar to visiting Immigration, except I walk away with more money than I had when I went in as opposed to paying - and oh - there's the occasional smile and 'kah' - both noticeably absent at immigration.

Well worth the tolerant wait, knowing that you're depriving the bank of their ATM fees and instead getting them to do a bit of easy work.

3 hours ago, LittleBear57 said:

No ATM fee, but there are limits, Kasikorn had 20k with my MasterCard. Krungsri limit was my Mastercard credit card credit limit which was big so i withdrew 100k a time

It has to be a last resort before I will put my UK credit/debit cards in an ATM here.

2 trips here on holiday about 5 years ago - one trip spat out my UK card and deducted the money but no money recieved, went into the bank and after 3 months got a refund.

Second trip used my ACLEDA Cambodia debit card in a Thai ATM and same happened. ACLEDA referred to Visa who refused to refund and actually produced a printout which said proved I got the cash!  I 100% did not.

I left ACLEDA with a bag full of cash and a closed account and headed to ABA Bank.

Since then my UK cards are for emergencies only, and I only ever use my KTB debit card in KTB ATMs, attached to a bank branch, just don't trust them.