New vs. Second Hand Jet Ski

Thailaw

I want a jet ski. They are not cheap, like all motored vehicles in Thailand. The new ones range from B300,000 to B815,000. 

I new base model, with a 900cc motors, and trailer is B320,000 and the 1600cc motor model is around B500,000. I worry that the base model is too small and slow. I have been considering a 2nd hand "large size" model -- for about B150,000 to B175,000 you can get a 1200cc to 1300cc model from 2007 to 2017. The big issue is condition and hours operated. Sources on the internet say that the "life" of a jet ski is about 300 hours ("high mileage"). The ones that I have seen have 500 hours or more on the clock. There is one Yamaha for sale, a 2007 model with 190 hours for about B180,000 -- the hours used is good, but it is kind of old. Can the hours be "rolled back"?  I like the look of this one, at least the pictures look good.. 

So, my questions are -- how important is hours used? is there a cut off point beyond which you shouldn't consider the ski? Given the risks, should I scrap the idea of a used jet ski and consider only a new one (most of the sellers are Thai, and the skis are probably off-rental)? is maintenance and repair of a jet ski expensive if I were to buy a used one and find out that it has problems? Used motorbikes are not much an issue/risk in Thailand as repair is cheap. Are jet skis the same? 

The information on the internet is worthless and mostly comes from the US, which may not be at all applicable to Thailand.  Thanks for any help/thoughts. TL. 

On 9/5/2021 at 2:29 PM, FritsSikkink said:

I think you need a license to drive a jet ski.

Quite possible. How does that have anything to do with the questions asked, or the decision to buy a new or 2nd hand jet ski? I have a licence to drive my car and a licence to drive my motorbikes, and, if I need one, I will get a licence to drive my jet ski, assuming that I do, in fact, purchase one. And I expect that the licence and the licence requirements are the same regardless of whether the  jet ski is new or 2nd hand. Next.....