Astra Zeneca vaccination in Thailand - is it recognised in UK?

Larrylah

Hello,

There has been much confusion about whether the Astra Zeneca vaccination received in Thailand is recognised in UK. On the website: Quarantine and testing if you've been in an amber list country - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

it states: 

Approved vaccines

You must have been fully vaccinated under one of the following programmes:

• UK vaccine programme overseas, approved by the MHRA

My question is: Is the Thai AZ program approved by UK?

Seemingly later in the same website, it seems to assert that two doses of AZ received overseas is accepted by UK:

What counts as fully vaccinated

You may not be considered to be fully vaccinated for the purpose of entering the UK even if you’re considered to be fully vaccinated in your country of origin.

In the UK, ‘fully vaccinated’ means you’ve had either:

• 2 doses of an approved 2 dose vaccine (such as Pfizer or AstraZeneca)
  • one dose of an approved single dose vaccine (such as Janssen)

You must have had your final dose at least 14 whole days before you arrive in England. The day you had your final dose does not count as one of the 14 days.

I am aware that Thailand is considered a 'red zone' currently requiring quarantine for arrivals in UK, but this will not always be the case. 

Can we therefore have some clarity obout whether the Thai Astra Zeneca program approved by UK, and (once Thailand is out of the 'Red Zone') we can freely enter UK showing our fully vaccinated Astra Zeneca Certificate? 

Only vaccinations from approved sources ie uk, Europe and USA, it is not only the vaccine that is the issue, fraud, bogus certificates etc etc, means until Thailand or other countries can meet this criteria(the proof will need to be accessible by border force ie computer held records that are trustworthy., you will have to isolate at home.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quarantine-when-you-arrive-in-england

• Like 2

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

In practice what does this mean? While Thailand is on the UK's red list, everyone arriving from there has to quarantine irrespective of vaccine.  Once they have done the quarantine, does just having non-approved vaccine mean further restrictions while in the UK, for example going to events that require participants to be vaccinated?

I think you are right, at the moment with it being on the red list, then it does not make much difference anyway. I doubt there would be further restrictions after quarantine.

It's going to be different for other countries to accept AZ administered in Thailand when a vial of vaccine is sold as containing 10 doses but Thailand extracts 12 doses from the same vial.

Is it really overfilled by an extra 20%? Can, say, the UK Government be confident all vials are over-filled to a minimum of 120%?  I think not.

3 hours ago, Catoni said:

Pretty sure that as long as you have official documented proof that you have been vaccinated with a major covid vaccine RECOGNIZED BY THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION….it will be accepted by almost 100% of the countries in the world. 
Vaccines like AZ, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, J&J are recognized by the United Nations affiliated W.H.O. 

Perhaps you can help,being an example- what motivates ill informed people who post an answer based purely on unresearched ,unsubstantiated subjective opinion on a very specific subject based purely on what they think it MIGHT be? Especially when the correct answer is black and white? Is it just a need to be heard notwithstanding the veracity of the contents ? Or is it just laziness? I’m genuinely interested.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

In practice what does this mean? While Thailand is on the UK's red list, everyone arriving from there has to quarantine irrespective of vaccine.  Once they have done the quarantine, does just having non-approved vaccine mean further restrictions while in the UK, for example going to events that require participants to be vaccinated?

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I think you are right, at the moment with it being on the red list, then it does not make much difference anyway. I doubt there would be further restrictions after quarantine.

3 hours ago, superal said:

Good point you have raised . In the eyes of the UK you are not vaccinated unless you had it in the UK , USA or Europe .  So if you explain that you have had 2 or 3 jabs but they will not recognise them are they going to top you up again with another 3 shots ? Could blood tests prove you have been vaccinated ? For long term expats living in Thailand , it's the price you pay for being ex domicile .  However the tourist type traveller has no alternative but to quarantine in the expensive UK hotels on their return . BTW , if you cannot afford to pay the hotel bill the Government will allow easy payments .

So we have a catch 22 situation , take the Thai vaccine or not ? If I was unvaccinated I would get back to the UK asap , get the jab , get registered on the N.H.S. app which will allow you into most events and flights . Trouble is , if you then return to Thailand and after a few months need a booster jab , is that another flight back to the UK ? Maybe the UK embassy could set up a vaccination center and deal with the official vaccinations and registrations ( embassies are set up to help fellow countrymen ? )

What it means in practical terms is that if you are vaccinated in Thailand with whatever brand, (currently Sinovac, Sinopharm, AstraZeneca, Pfizer), if you are a British National you will have to undergo 10 days quarantine in an hotel designated for this purpose, (costing approximately GBP2k plus). If you are not a British National, you cannot currently enter UK at all, with any of the above vaccines administered in Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

It's going to be different for other countries to accept AZ administered in Thailand when a vial of vaccine is sold as containing 10 doses but Thailand extracts 12 doses from the same vial.

Is it really overfilled by an extra 20%? Can, say, the UK Government be confident all vials are over-filled to a minimum of 120%?  I think not.

It actually a common practice and was also adopted by the NHS for Covid vaccinations. Thailand just copied what others did/do.

3 minutes ago, samtam said:

What it means in practical terms is that if you are vaccinated in Thailand with whatever brand, (currently Sinovac, Sinopharm, AstraZeneca, Pfizer), if you are a British National you will have to undergo 10 days quarantine in an hotel designated for this purpose, (costing approximately GBP2k plus). If you are not a British National, you cannot currently enter UK at all, with any of the above vaccines administered in Thailand.

My comment was mostly in regard to any further vaccination requirements (or "vaccine passports") that the UK may require for entry to sporting events, nightclubs etc, after quarantine has been completed.

All in the hands of the Gods what the future will bring.

For now, the UK does not accept, rightly or wrongly, the AZ vaccine administered in Thailand.

With UK events and major activities scheduled to be introducing the vaccine passport, my best guess is you will need to be vaccinated again in the UK to then be registered on the NHS app as proof to enter such events.

Because cases like yours and mine are a relatively small number of cases within a small group of travellers, the British government has not got around to any special dispensations for people vaccinated in the Far East.

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

My comment was mostly in regard to any further vaccination requirements (or "vaccine passports") that the UK may require for entry to sporting events, nightclubs etc, after quarantine has been completed.

Understood. From what I read this week, they are bringing in "Vaccine Passports" for want of a better description, for events with large numbers of people; the article cites "nightclubs, mass events and large venues"....just to be clear as mud..."by the end of September".

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

All in the hands of the Gods what the future will bring.

For now, the UK does not accept, rightly or wrongly, the AZ vaccine administered in Thailand.

With UK events and major activities scheduled to be introducing the vaccine passport, my best guess is you will need to be vaccinated again in the UK to then be registered on the NHS app as proof to enter such events.

Because cases like yours and mine are a relatively small number of cases within a small group of travellers, the British government has not got around to any special dispensations for people vaccinated in the Far East.

...or anywhere not approved by MHRA, (The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency), so only those vaccinations administered in UK, EU and USA.

Edited by samtam

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You will need UK vaccine and UK proof of vaccine to enter nightclubs, concerts, sports events.

9 minutes ago, roquefort said:

UK embassies long since ceased to be anything other than trade missions. They have repeatedly stated they will not be doing anything to help UK citizens abroad get vaccinated (unlike their Aussie, French counterparts).

Maybe the UK embassy could set up a vaccination center and deal with the official vaccinations and registrations ( embassies are set up to help fellow countrymen ? )

The above statement was tongue in cheek really but could be so easily achieved and I think we would not be concerned if they made a little profit let alone kudos . They treat expats with contempt having taken taxes from them all their working lives . But if you are an illegal immigrant ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, samtam said:

What is the British embassy doing about this? Did'nt they help bring some vaccines into Thailand. And Astra Zeneca is of  British origin if I'm  not mistaken, even if manufactured here . 

16 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

That is a misleading statement. Public Health England have published a document that provides guidance on the administration of vaccine to those that have been previously vaccinated abroad. The document recognises all vaccines that have been approved by the WHO and where the vaccine is not available a suitable alternative is indicated.

When people use the words "accept" or "recognise" they need to be careful with the context, and do not get confused between the medical and immigration criteria.

For entry to the UK at this point in time, only documentary evidence of double vaccination administered in the UK, EU or US would be allowed. It is highly likely the requirement will be discontinued before emerging economies like Thailand ever get to join the club.

11 hours ago, sandyf said:

That is a misleading statement. Public Health England have published a document that provides guidance on the administration of vaccine to those that have been previously vaccinated abroad. The document recognises all vaccines that have been approved by the WHO and where the vaccine is not available a suitable alternative is indicated.

When people use the words "accept" or "recognise" they need to be careful with the context, and do not get confused between the medical and immigration criteria.

For entry to the UK at this point in time, only documentary evidence of double vaccination administered in the UK, EU or US would be allowed. It is highly likely the requirement will be discontinued before emerging economies like Thailand ever get to join the club.

Nope,

Nothing misleading about my statement. I am speaking in easy to understand layman's terms.

Only vaccines administered in the UK, EU or USA are acceptable by the UK as that person has been vaccinated, as far as they are concerned, under MHRA recommended guidelines.

Even if you are British and allowed to enter the UK, they do not accept you have been vaccinated, because it was administered in the Far East. The Ambassador has said as much.

No need to over complicate things here in context or language.

They do not recognize my Pfizer jabs, nor will my card from Thailand allow me into large events or gatherings when new legislation takes effect at the end of September.

• Thanks 1

The UK has this head scratching policy... but a lot of countries do recognise AZ vaccine from Thailand.

That means if you want to go back to the UK, you can head to a country deemed safer on the way (not red zone) for a few days, and then not have to do hotel quarantine when you arrive back in the UK. Am I right? 

Edited by RickG16

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

That means if you want to go back to the UK, you can head to a country deemed safer on the way (not red zone) for a few days, and then not have to do hotel quarantine when you arrive back in the UK. Am I right? 

Yes, but what country would that be? Most countries want 10-14 days quarantine/isolation for people coming in from most countries. The safer countries are safe partly because they have those strict entry requirements. So you would have to pay for 10-14 days that way.

Case in point is Singapore, on the UK green list, so no restrictions going into the UK - but 10 days mandatory quarantine at government hotel going into Singapore. And I guess you also have to have a long term visa to even get in at all

On 9/8/2021 at 1:28 PM, Scouse123 said:

You will need UK vaccine and UK proof of vaccine to enter nightclubs, concerts, sports events.

Will be interesting to see how that works!  Will nightclub bouncers or door-staff at sports events be trained to spot a Thai AZ or Pfizer certificate?

On 9/8/2021 at 8:49 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Ever heard of low dead space syringes? Look it up.