Biscuit Joiner

HeijoshinCool

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Also on Lazada @ 2000b

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.4euCh

Okay, that's a planer.

The other name for a biscuit joiner is plate joiner. The one on Lazada is $600! As opposed to Amazon or other sites in the US, at about $225. Odd, as Makita is made in China....

The carpenter website has some nice stuff, including table saws at pretty good prices, but haven't found the plate joiner yet.

Have you used one extensively in the past?  I bought a biscuit joiner years ago after seeing all the hype, especially good ol' Norm on "This Old House"   

My "thing" back then was building unique computer furniture using scrap lumber like discarded pallets and whatever I could pull from dumpsters at reno. sites. I figured it'd great for table tops.

It was frustratingly fiddly and though I gave it a good shot, the joiner ended up for sale in a classifieds mag.  I found my router with a joiner bit to be much more accurate and the joints to be far stronger and less prone to cupping.  Those biscuits just never seemed to hold that well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dddave said:

Have you used one extensively in the past?  I bought a biscuit joiner years ago after seeing all the hype, especially good ol' Norm on "This Old House"   

My "thing" back then was building unique computer furniture using scrap lumber like discarded pallets and whatever I could pull from dumpsters at reno. sites. I figured it'd great for table tops.

It was frustratingly fiddly and though I gave it a good shot, the joiner ended up for sale in a classifieds mag.  I found my router with a joiner bit to be much more accurate and the joints to be far stronger and less prone to cupping.  Those biscuits just never seemed to hold that well.

I've burned out a dozen or more over the years. Mostly depends on how well the little sharp pins on the fence do their job, and how you hold the tool. No pins, I don't buy. Rubber won't hold it.

Some brands are pretty crappy and won't flush up panels no matter how you diligent you are. Makita cordless is like that. Its fence will not allow for consistent positioning.  

Porter Cable isn't bad, and not expensive. Festool is excellent, but you'll need a second mortgage.

13 minutes ago, dddave said:

Not sure why you were having trouble with joints made with a biscuit joiner.  You need to first prepare the joint with a jointer or router setup you described before placing the biscuits. The joint is glued up over the entire length, the biscuits just provide an extra measure of glue surface to a properly prepared and glued joint, plus they expand inside the slots for extra holding power. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Some brands are pretty crappy and won't flush up panels no matter how you diligent you are

You talkin' 'bout my $99 Home Depot "Ridgid" biscuit joiner?   "Crappy" doesn't do it justice.  I sold it for $15 'cause I felt guilty.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dddave said:

You talkin' 'bout my $99 Home Depot "Ridgid" biscuit joiner?   "Crappy" doesn't do it justice.  I sold it for $15 'cause I felt guilty.

Rigid is absolute <deleted>.

And biscuit joiners require a higher degree of accurate repeatability that other tools don't.

37 minutes ago, dddave said:

Those biscuits just never seemed to hold that well.

The other key is that you have to have a lot of clamps. You can have too many beers in a cabinet shop, but you can never have too many clamps.

If the joint is prepped and the operation performed correctly, the biscuited joint will be exceedingly strong and stable.

3 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Okay, that's a planer.

The other name for a biscuit joiner is plate joiner. The one on Lazada is $600! As opposed to Amazon or other sites in the US, at about $225. Odd, as Makita is made in China....

The carpenter website has some nice stuff, including table saws at pretty good prices, but haven't found the plate joiner yet.

Dont know what you were looking at but it even ststes "biscuit jointer" in the title ?

Heres another from there....

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.4eE3q

Yeah, that's a Makita. I actually had that model and it moves sideways when you insert the blade. Also, it won't stay steady at 90 degrees when pushing the fence against the piece, resulting in a useless over thick slot.

But I appreciate your looking.

I found one. Heck of a price. Probably good for a few projects and then becomes a paper weight, but that's okay because I only have a few projects...????

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/total-ts70906-biscuit-jointer-950-i737672482-s1409490288.html

That woodworker site has some nice table saws at reasonable prices. Thanks.

11 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Yeah, that's a Makita. I actually had that model and it moves sideways when you insert the blade. Also, it won't stay steady at 90 degrees when pushing the fence against the piece, resulting in a useless over thick slot.

But I appreciate your looking.

I found one. Heck of a price. Probably good for a few projects and then becomes a paper weight, but that's okay because I only have a few projects...????

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/total-ts70906-biscuit-jointer-950-i737672482-s1409490288.html

That woodworker site has some nice table saws at reasonable prices. Thanks.

You may get lucky and get a tool that works, dot bank on it. Tools are usually priced on quality and support, since that one is about ¼ the cost of a reasonable quality one it’s a gamble and the odds are not great.

If it is accurate, the fence holds its settings, the arbour runs true and the blade isn’t made of brittle machine shavings, then is likely to work for a reasonable time. But if any of those points are not true none of your projects will benefit and it won’t be worth anything at all.

you would be better advised to use a trim router with a fence and loose tenons. They will add to the strength of the joint (biscuits don’t) not telegraph the joint onto the surface of your work and provide really good surface alignment.

I use loose tenons as they locate perfectly in both planes and add structural strength to projects.