COVID travel insurance.

geisha

Hi, is is true that COVID insurance becomes void if your home country has declared Thailand a red zone ?

Also, if when you bought it, and booked your travel/ ASQ/Sandbox / flights , Thailand ( or other country) becomes a red zone After  you have traveled there,  would your COVID insurance become void ? Not a nice thought finding yourself with no insurance a few days after arriving at your hotel. I think UK did that to Portugal and put all those tourists in trouble.

Being a red zone is not the same as being put on the list of FCDO countries where they advise against (essential) travel to, but most of the time the two are identical.  The latter is what usually screws up insurance cover.

However, insurance is available from some companies if your country is on the FCDO warning list but you may end up paying more.  This is from Avanti's website:

image.png.94483584b59415ef60b4a1dfa7794926.png

If you've already bought the insurance and not travelled you should be covered for a refund, or if you've already travelled they may pay to get you home early.  You need to read your specific policy.

Edited by treetops
  • Thanks 1

treetops, thanks. A bit of a grey area tho isn’t it ? I would then think that all tourists on the Sandbox program for example, bought their insurance when Thailand wasn’t on the red list, and now that it is, then their insurance is void ? Not very good if you are already in Phuket. Is Avanti an international insurance, I’m in France ? Or, should I go with a Thailand approved COVID insurance ? I’m not coming yet, hopefully Christmas time, but who knows who’s rules change by then !! Thanks.

I'm not sure to be honest.  I have Thai health insurance for the medical side and UK based travel insurance for any other issues.  With the flexible offerings of most airlines just now I'm not too worried about flight issues, but as you say, for people already there when a country changes status it could be awkward.

• Like 1