Thai Child/Dependent Visa

Hi everyone,

I've read the basics about the Dependent (Non-O) Visa, but was wondering about a few details.  Any help is much appreciated.  My questions are:

1. I live in Phuket, and my daughter was born in Phuket 6 months ago.  Her mom owns a house in Phattalung and that is the address we gave for her birth certificate, which was registered in Phattalung.  I rent a house in Phuket, and they stay with me sometimes, and sometimes they stay at her mom's house in Phattalung.  Currently they are unable to visit Phuket due to travel restrictions.  My question is, can I do the visa application here in Phuket?  Or would I need to apply in Phattalung?

2. I was on ED visa, which expired in January.  I have been doing the 2 month visa amnesty extensions since then, which my school helps me with.  It's easy, I just show up every 2 months for a photo and pay 1900 baht.  Does anyone know how long these might continue?  I have about 6 weeks left on my current extension, so I'm considering getting started on the Dependent Visa.  But if I can get more extensions I might just keep doing that for now.

3. Are there any agents in Phuket who are experienced with Dependent Visas and charge a reasonable fee?  (hopefully ok to ask here?)  My friend just finished his Dependent Visa, and said it took him 4-5 trips to immigration, but the agents he looked at wanted 20,000 baht, which seems quite high for the amount of work involved.

4. If there's anything you'd like to point out that maybe I didn't think to ask, I welcome any helpful input.

Thanks as always, there are some of you in here who have really helped me out a lot over the years.  It's much appreciated.

You would apply for a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai.

If you are not the legal father of your child by way of marriage or legitimization of you parenthood you will not be able to apply for it. 

See this topic for info: https://aseannow.com/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

1. To apply in Phuket you child would have to be living with you when the extension is applied for.

I assume you are aware that you will need 400k baht in the bank on the day you apply for the extension.

2. If the 60 day covid 19 extensions end you could apply for a 60 day to visit them one time.

• Like 2

If you do end up going the agent route, and are aged over 50, be aware that cheapest is a retirement extension. Using an agent for a dependant extension, 20,000 baht is actually cheap. The issue is that the application is taken under consideration and reviewed at area headquarters. This means more senior officials who must be convinced of the validity of the application.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Hi guys, thanks again for all the info.  It's been about a year since I posted.  My daughter and her mother (as well as her teenage daughter) now live in Phuket near me.  I support them financially and visit daily.  I'm currently on an ED visa with about 8 more months to go on that, so I'm thinking now might be a good time to get started on this child/dependent O visa (not sure the exact correct term).  

I would really appreciate any recommendation of law firms who are experienced and capable with this sort of visa, with good customer service at a reasonable price.  I've done some searching around and looking at reviews of various firms, haven't yet found one I feel comfortable with.  I'd like to do a brief phone or email consultation with maybe 2 or 3 firms to tell them my situation and get their proposal.

I'm not sure if it matters much where the firm is located, like if there might be any advantage to using a firm with an office in Phuket or not. 

Thanks again for your advice everyone, it has been very helpful.