4 month left before passport expiry

Just now, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a the extension but it would only be issued to the day your passport expires.

Sorry Ubonjoe don't understand. If have an extension that expire next month, they will approve and stamp my passport two months later?

2 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

5 days ago the OP was applying for a tourist visa from the UK.  Isn't 6 months needed on a passport to enter?

I wrote this OP for a friends. Hope is possible. Thank you.

15 hours ago, EricTh said:

No, it means that if your passport expire in Dec 2021, your visa is only going to be extended until Dec 2021 (just 4 months) and NOT until Sep 2022, that means you lose 8 months even though you paid 1 year fees for it.

It's better to apply for your new passport now and hopefully it will arrive before it expires.

It happened to a friend of mine a few years ago in Phuket. He got a stamp until end of validity of his passport. After the new passport arrived, the stamp was transferred and extended for the full year without further payment. I don't know if this was a Phuket Special - but it might happen somewhere else, too. Anyway, the new passport would be a good idea, should be possible for almost (?) every country in the time remaining.

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

Apply for a new passport right now, there's still plenty of time to get it in place before you need to extend.

If you leave it until the last minute and by some chance your country goes into an 'unexpected' winter lockdown then you won't be getting one and you really don't want to be in that situation as it involves returning to your home country.

Act now!

Might be easier said than done for @Tayida at the present time if he is Australian!

https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Australian_Passports_Page.html

• Like 1

@OJAS thanks for link Oz passport. Was not aware of that.

Mine does not need renewal as PLENTY of years to run, however I intend to use this 'down time' to obtain new as valid for 10years.

Will keep an eye when the appointments are back up.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Will keep an eye when the appointments are back up.

I think the appointments are still be done but not very many them per day. I clicked to make an appointment for a passport renewal and there none were left for this months but there were a few for late October.

Not sure why anybody would wait so late to get a new passport unless they were not aware of the rules. Some people thought wait until late due to losing a few months of passport validity.

I calculated the monthly cost for a a 10 year US passport and it was not very much.

I got my last one 9 months early so I could do the application in one trip to Bankbook and pick it up when I went to get my proof of income.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fangless said:

The UK passport turnaround time is currently 11 weeks, both in and out of country.  I just asked them as I am about to renew mine which expires in Jan 2023 as my next visa extension will run April 2022-April 2023.

Thanks to typical HMPO bungling incompetence and ineptitude, then, this inordinately lengthy period means that it could be cutting it fine for 90-day reporting purposes.

5 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Thanks to typical HMPO bungling incompetence and ineptitude, then, this inordinately lengthy period means that it could be cutting it fine for 90-day reporting purposes.

Do 90 day online or mail.  No need for passport.  If incountry renewal and using an agent they do not retain your old passport.

4 minutes ago, OJAS said:

They give your old passport back to you when you apply for a new passport at VFS.

That is one of the reasons you cannot do a online passport application.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fangless said:

The UK passport turnaround time is currently 11 weeks, both in and out of country.  I just asked them as I am about to renew mine which expires in Jan 2023 as my next visa extension will run April 2022-April 2023.

I sent my passport to an agent with payment on the 21st July. I received an e mail yesterday saying my new UK passport is in Bangkok awaiting collection.

Total turnaround 7 weeks and Two days.

Edited by NE1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I sent my passport to an agent with payment on the 21st July. I received an e mail yesterday saying my new UK passport is in Bangkok awaiting collection.

Total turnaround 7 weeks and Two days.

That is good news as 7 weeks is the "norm".  Lets hope the 11 weeks quote I got was a worst case scenario!

• Like 1