Pre Travel PCR test to Phuket Sandbox

oporhatch

For all those That have gone through the process  - I was hoping somebody could confirm the following  :- 

1) The 72 hours is before flight departure and not landing at Phuket   ?

My issue is I would require the following

1 - 23rd before Midday - take PCR test which is dated 23rd Midday , to get results by the 24th

2) 25th  travel to Heathrow (flight 12.00)

3) 26th Land in Phuket 06:00

If it was at Phuket landing  - I would only have 6 hours to spare , before the 72 hours expires , which is cutting short if there are delays

Thoughts , opinions experience ..............would  be much appreciated 

regards     

Information has has always been a somewhat ‘vague’ and never spelt out to the level of details we would expect considering the expenditure and consequences of not meeting the requirements. 

In short... The COVID test must be by the RT-PCR method, the test must be conducted within 72 hours before departure.

• Like 1

Yes, from initial departure time. Boots does rna pcr so I think no good. Other pharmacies do tests but seemed expensive to me, atleast in Derby back in July. Collinson or Randox seemed like good options for me, I used Collinson. Randox does drive through as well which may be good for you and also under 24hr results, so if your results are inconclusive you have time to redo. Both are I think only available from airports e.g. Birmingham, East Midlands, Heathrow. I would happily use Collinson again if within 30 mins of a serviced airport. I think Superdrug also does them - not sure if rt pcr though.

• Like 1

Was talk of UK dropping tests soon on people coming with 2 jabs. Hopefully all these nonsensical PCR tests will end soon. Thailand certainly will still be on a downwards spiral until they are dropped for vaccinated people.

You're at more danger of Thais on arrival than the entire vaccinated plane load !

I arrived as a sandboxer in July. The Thailand requirement is listed on the COE site states that a negative result must be no more than 72 hours before your first flight. For me that was when I boarded the first of my three flights in the US.

I arrived on a Qatar flight and they did not have any requirements for people transiting through Doha. My understanding is that Singapore Airlines does have additional requirements if you're transiting in Singapore so you should check for any airline specific requirements. 

I had my test in the US on a Sunday (100 hours before departure), received my results via email on Tuesday (50 hours before departure), and flew on Thursday evening. The document was looked at (but not too carefully) upon departure, at transit stops, and upon arrival (which was about 30 hours after I checked in for my first flight).

• Thanks 1

Would note that the Chicago Thai Consulate told me in no uncertain terms that the 72-hour time period is measured from the departure time of your first international flight (and not from the departure time for any domestic flight(s) to reach another airport where you'll take your first international flight).

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2021 at 2:40 PM, oliverphoenix2 said:

Yes, from initial departure time. Boots does rna pcr so I think no good. Other pharmacies do tests but seemed expensive to me, atleast in Derby back in July. Collinson or Randox seemed like good options for me, I used Collinson. Randox does drive through as well which may be good for you and also under 24hr results, so if your results are inconclusive you have time to redo. Both are I think only available from airports e.g. Birmingham, East Midlands, Heathrow. I would happily use Collinson again if within 30 mins of a serviced airport. I think Superdrug also does them - not sure if rt pcr though.

The £79 Boots in-store PCR test is advertised as "suitable for flying" - are you saying that this is untrue?

I hope not, as I have mine booked!

On 9/13/2021 at 2:29 AM, RichardColeman said:

Was talk of UK dropping tests soon on people coming with 2 jabs. Hopefully all these nonsensical PCR tests will end soon. Thailand certainly will still be on a downwards spiral until they are dropped for vaccinated people.

You're at more danger of Thais on arrival than the entire vaccinated plane load !

"Hopefully all these nonsensical PCR tests will end soon." They won't, they are too big a moneymaker for the main influential people. I also believe that some sort of PCR test or insurance scam will continue even after the country opens up while the present unelected PM is in control.

6 hours ago, London Lowf said:

The £79 Boots in-store PCR test is advertised as "suitable for flying" - are you saying that this is untrue?

I hope not, as I have mine booked!

Yes, as I have said before, all the greed during this pandemic is happening all over the world. Just how long does a PCR test take, say 5 mins and another 5 mins in the computer. By that reasoning, that £79 charge by Boots is sure mighty extortionate.

9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, as I have said before, all the greed during this pandemic is happening all over the world. Just how long does a PCR test take, say 5 mins and another 5 mins in the computer. By that reasoning, that £79 charge by Boots is sure mighty extortionate.

If PCR testing is such a money-spinner, why isn't every medical facility in the land offering it?

I am having to travel twenty minutes for my test - there are probably over a hundred pharmacies closer to me (including several Boots) that do not offer the testing. I was originally planning my test at another chain pharmacy (the Co-Op, now rebranded as Well Pharmacy), but they no longer do it.

The next facility is almost an hour's drive!

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 1

Regarding Boots pcr test - 'suitable for flying' is dependent on the requirements of where you are flying to. Maybe Europe will take any old pcr test. The UK thai embassy website specifies (or atleast used to) 'RT PCR'. I asked in person at the Boots in Derby and they specified theirs was an 'RNA PCR' test. I don't know if it would be picked up by the airline or on arrival in Thailand. My Collinson test stated 'RT PCR', maybe some tests simply state 'PCR'. Would be useful to know if anyone has entered with alternate to 'RT PCR' test.

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

If PCR testing is such a money-spinner, why isn't every medical facility in the land offering it?

I am having to travel twenty minutes for my test - there are probably over a hundred pharmacies closer to me (including several Boots) that do not offer the testing. I was originally planning my test at another chain pharmacy (the Co-Op, now rebranded as Well Pharmacy), but they no longer do it.

The next facility is almost an hour's drive!

9 hours ago, oliverphoenix2 said:

Regarding Boots pcr test - 'suitable for flying' is dependent on the requirements of where you are flying to. Maybe Europe will take any old pcr test. The UK thai embassy website specifies (or atleast used to) 'RT PCR'. I asked in person at the Boots in Derby and they specified theirs was an 'RNA PCR' test. I don't know if it would be picked up by the airline or on arrival in Thailand. My Collinson test stated 'RT PCR', maybe some tests simply state 'PCR'. Would be useful to know if anyone has entered with alternate to 'RT PCR' test.

Well, it seems the staff member at Boots in Derby may have been talking about one of the many other tests that they do, e.g. days 2 & 8 on return to the UK, home tests, etc.

I've been back on the website and this is the answer to a FAQ regarding the £79 test:-

"All customers receiving a negative PCR test result will be issued with a certificate that states the type of test that is performed. This test is an RT-PCR and this will be visibly shown on every certificate."

On 9/13/2021 at 4:41 AM, Espanol said:

I don't think so.

It's about sample being taken. 

You're wrong.  Read the post directly above yours for a real life experience, and here's a snip from IATA guidelines for entry to Thailand.  The 72 hours is taken from the time the results are issued.

image.png.e54e7091db841fd21f8f44fa0a589002.png

On 9/14/2021 at 6:10 AM, possum1931 said:

"Hopefully all these nonsensical PCR tests will end soon." They won't, they are too big a moneymaker for the main influential people. I also believe that some sort of PCR test or insurance scam will continue even after the country opens up while the present unelected PM is in control.

Testing will continue, how else can a government tell its people that they are protected from anyone coming into the country.

And double testing will continue, 1 before departure and 1 when you arrive.

Accept it and don’t say it’s a money maker, that’s the Doom monger attitude, next you’ll go on a tangent and say vaccines are fake, and the virus is fake.,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bolt said:

Testing will continue, how else can a government tell its people that they are protected from anyone coming into the country.

And double testing will continue, 1 before departure and 1 when you arrive.

Accept it and don’t say it’s a money maker, that’s the Doom monger attitude, next you’ll go on a tangent and say vaccines are fake, and the virus is fake.,

I am saying it's a moneymaker, this unelected PM always knows a moneymaker when he sees one, and don't start spinning such nonsense that I will say that the virus and vaccines are fake,

Don't bother answering this as there will be no replies. I don't mind debating with posters disagreeing with me, but you are an obvious exception.

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I am saying it's a moneymaker, this unelected PM always knows a moneymaker when he sees one, and don't start spinning such nonsense that I will say that the virus and vaccines are fake,

Don't bother answering this as there will be no replies. I don't mind debating with posters disagreeing with me, but you are an obvious exception.

Do you think thailand is the only country testing arrivals, or putting Int arrivials in Quarantine.  ????

20 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Are you in quarantine hotel or free travel around the island?

I'm in sandbox program, so free travel around the island and just checking in at hotel and temperature control once a day.

Actually I post this from Patong Beach waiting for sunset.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Espanol said:

I'm in sandbox program, so free travel around the island and just checking in at hotel and temperature control once a day.

Actually I post this from Patong Beach waiting for sunset.

Beautiful!

Enjoy yourself.

Patong so different without thousands of people.

• Thanks 1