Dash Camera..

transam

Going to buy a cheap cam for the runaround, never had one before. How do they deal with the heat through the front screen, has anyone had a failure ?

I was going to get the clip on rearview mirror type, then thought we move the mirror depending on who is driving, so the cam would alter its cover.  

So it's down to a stick on one, of which there are many for under a 1000bht with 170* cover, plus including a rear cam.

Any input would be appreciated.. 

• Like 1

I bought a Kenwood for my Triton Pick-up, it is hardwired into the electrical and starts and stops when the vehicle is turned on and off.  Sim card can be removed for download if needed but also has an app for your phone which stores the video under a DVR app.  My MG HS has a built in system with 360 degree camera ability, but the front windshield mounted camera included in the DVR system works the same as the Kenwood. 

https://www.kenwood.com/th-en/car/dashboard_camera/drv-a700w/

*I forgot to mention that my insurance company Tokio Marine also gave me a discount on my policy for having a camera installed.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I bought a Kenwood for my Triton Pick-up, it is hardwired into the electrical and starts and stops when the vehicle is turned on and off.  Sim card can be removed for download if needed but also has an app for your phone which stores the video under a DVR app.  My MG HS has a built in system with 360 degree camera ability, but the front windshield mounted camera included in the DVR system works the same as the Kenwood. 

https://www.kenwood.com/th-en/car/dashboard_camera/drv-a700w/

*I forgot to mention that my insurance company Tokio Marine also gave me a discount on my policy for having a camera installed.

How do you manage recording does it wipe when you turn off the truck/car and start up at the beginning again when restarting.

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

How do you manage recording does it wipe when you turn off the truck/car and start up at the beginning again when restarting.

I found one that works when you start the car, 32GB, when full it overwrites, so no worry about no capture..

I was just concerned about screen heat..

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

It is a continuous recording on the internal memory, than can be transferred to the added sim card or just downloaded to the wifi app on your phone.  As far as how long it stays in memory, mine goes back for almost a month based upon the memory the system has.  It hen starts to overwrite the oldest recorded video.  Not an issue.  If I have ever had an incident that I believe might need to be saved, I save it to the Sim card and then transfer it to my home computer system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We got this one from Lazada & found it very good....

Has multiple functions with absolute clarity....

Comes with a rear camera & all needed wiring....

I followed a recommendation off a post in Thai Visa & it's performed well....

I park where the sun hits the windshield during the hot part of the day.... It's dropped down maybe 6 times in 2 years..... It's built with quality materials & still looks brand new....

The Lazada shop is Diamond Home....

Hopefully you can identify off the screenshots, if you want to consider this one....

Screenshot_2021-09-13-12-35-39-17_39060a31215a48c7aaf1fb3368fa2e89.jpg

Screenshot_2021-09-13-12-35-15-09_39060a31215a48c7aaf1fb3368fa2e89.jpg

Screenshot_2021-09-13-12-32-05-85_39060a31215a48c7aaf1fb3368fa2e89.jpg

Screenshot_2021-09-13-12-32-21-99_39060a31215a48c7aaf1fb3368fa2e89.jpg

7 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

We got this one from Lazada & found it very good....

Has multiple functions with absolute clarity....

Comes with a rear camera & all needed wiring....

I followed a recommendation off a post in Thai Visa & it's performed well....

I park where the sun hits the windshield during the hot part of the day.... It's dropped down maybe 6 times in 2 years..... It's built with quality materials & still looks brand new....

The Lazada shop is Diamond Home....

Hopefully you can identify off the screenshots, if you want to consider this one....

Screenshot_2021-09-13-12-35-39-17_39060a31215a48c7aaf1fb3368fa2e89.jpg

Screenshot_2021-09-13-12-35-15-09_39060a31215a48c7aaf1fb3368fa2e89.jpg

Screenshot_2021-09-13-12-32-05-85_39060a31215a48c7aaf1fb3368fa2e89.jpg

Screenshot_2021-09-13-12-32-21-99_39060a31215a48c7aaf1fb3368fa2e89.jpg

Actually the ones that attach to the mirror are okay. You can easily adjust the angle of the lens if you have adjusted the mirror. Mrs and I are ‘not exactly’ the same height never needed to adjust the lens after adjusting the mirror.

But be advised don’t get one where the camera picture is in the right side of the mirror.

Car cams seem to accept the temperatures here and keep working BUT do tend to come unstuck and you are likely to find it on the floor when you return to your vehicle.

Yes best to get one with a rear camera.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PFMills said:

Actually the ones that attach to the mirror are okay. You can easily adjust the angle of the lens if you have adjusted the mirror. Mrs and I are ‘not exactly’ the same height never needed to adjust the lens after adjusting the mirror.

But be advised don’t get one where the camera picture is in the right side of the mirror.

Car cams seem to accept the temperatures here and keep working BUT do tend to come unstuck and you are likely to find it on the floor when you return to your vehicle.

Yes best to get one with a rear camera.

Ours is a windshield suction type mount & has held strong compared to others we've had....

I have it snugged up just at the bottom of the mirror so the mount is on the darkest window tint area & it blends in with the mirror....Not sure what difference the tint really makes when the sun's doing it's thing.....

IMO most of then do as expected according to  spec  but the  suction cup mounts do have a tendency to randomly drop off. Heat or not as a cause  I do not know.

Greatest advantage of the fact they are so cheap now is to have at least one directed at the drivers  window so as to provide an opportunity for a member of the RTP to become a star player with easily provided evidence of performance.

12 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Ours is a windshield suction type mount & has held strong compared to others we've had....

I have it snugged up just at the bottom of the mirror so the mount is on the darkest window tint area & it blends in with the mirror....Not sure what difference the tint really makes when the sun's doing it's thing.....

That's a point, do the suction type stay stuck on screen film, our weee runaround has film on the screen (no, not dark stuff)...

7 minutes ago, transam said:

That's a point, do the suction type stay stuck on screen film, our weee runaround has film on the screen (no, not dark stuff)...

Before we had the new head unit, I was stuck with the suction cup. And all its foibles.

Bought a dash mounted fone holder which had a Stainless Steel disc you glued on the back of the phone and a neodymium magnet on the dash stalk

Stuck the disc on the glass, glued the magnet to the suction cup holder.

Problem solved

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Before we had the new head unit, I was stuck with the suction cup. And all its foibles.

Bought a dash mounted fone holder which had a Stainless Steel disc you glued on the back of the phone and a neodymium magnet on the dash stalk

Stuck the disc on the glass, glued the magnet to the suction cup holder.

Problem solved

I’ve used my iPhone XS Max, in a phone holder when the car cam stopped working whilst out. Fantastic video compared to the car cam. I found it got a bit unless you you dimmed the screen to min. and give it some air con.

3 minutes ago, Lancashirelad said:

When I buy a dashcam it will be one that does not have a screen, they are distracting, especially at night and entirely unecessary.

Oddly, it's never been distracting for me....Even at night it goes into a night mode that tones down the vibrancy.....

I have found GPS to be distracting because I'm always waiting for it to say or show something....

The dash cam is just kind of passively there....I just tend to forget it, then notice and - oh yeah it's there.....

The one I have used for the last four years is a YI brand and came with a hard mount kit with a no suction cup option.  It only displays for about 30 seconds or so when the car is first started and then the display turns off by default so there is no distraction.

566B3552-84AA-43E0-A243-2E73B9B9755F.jpeg

• Like 1

I will lend my voice to those recommending the 70 mai dash cam. I have the 70 mai Pro Plus a500 dash cam and it works very well. It adheres to the windshield by an electrostatic decal instead of a suction cup and it has yet to fall off in the year i've owned it.  It can resolve license plate numbers quite well.

Note that there are two types of 70 mai Pro Plus front cams; the a500 without the ability to connect a rear cam and the a500s that has a port to accept the RC06 rear cam's wire. If you want the rear cam, make sure you get the a500s along with the RC06 rear unit.