Engine valve seats recut

crisp

Hi,

Would anyone know where I can get  my engine intake & Exhaust valve seats recut.?

The valves have been reground/lapped but still leak doing the water test.

I am living near Pattaya but will travel to have the job done.

Thanks

32 minutes ago, crisp said:

living near Pattaya but will travel to have the job done.

I would of thought there would be many places in Pattaya who could do it. 

What I don't understand is why you don't do yourself if you have the head off. 

To bed in valves only takes couple of minutes each get seated correctly.

Edited by Kwasaki

I initially did a valve leak test using water & most of the valves leaked....I have lapped new valves in myself but it has not cured the leak problem so I’m wanting to get the seats recut. Just wanting to know any place that can be trusted with the task.

Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply, I need to find a place that can do the valve seat re cutting preferably in the Pattaya area but I will travel if need be....Do  you know of anyone/anywhere that can be trusted to do the job? 

Thank you

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, crisp said:

Thanks for your reply, I need to find a place that can do the valve seat re cutting preferably in the Pattaya area but I will travel if need be....Do  you know of anyone/anywhere that can be trusted to do the job? 

Thank you

Can you say why you cannot get some grinding grade pastes and re-seat the valves and seats together as I have always done. 

Oil,  grades of grinding paste,  a suction valve sucker with a drive rod, a battery drill, and away you go.!!! 

• Sad 2

35 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Can you say why you cannot get some grinding grade pastes and re-seat the valves and seats together as I have always done. 

Oil,  grades of grinding paste,  a suction valve sucker with a drive rod, a battery drill, and away you go.!!! 

Perhaps because, as he's already said a couple of times, he wants the seats re-cut.   That's all the reason he needs.  Why the interrogation?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have already lapped my intake & exhaust valves but the majority of them are still leaking when I do the water leak test, so I’m thinking my valve seats are bad & need refreshing/re cutting!

Can someone please advise me of a competent place that can do the valve seat cutting?

Thanks again guys

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps because, as he's already said a couple of times, he wants the seats re-cut.   That's all the reason he needs.  Why the interrogation?

Don't see where the interrogation is I'm only asking a question, what he is trying to do makes no sense whatsoever.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Remember doing this on my Mini Cooper.

Could not get it to run smoothly.

The first thing I changed before doing a full regrind was the distributor capacitor...... no luck.

Worked all weekend. All set, all valves reground by hand......still running rough.

Eventually found out it was the capacitor and the replacement I had bought was also duff.

How we laughed.

11 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Remember doing this on my Mini Cooper.

Could not get it to run smoothly.

The first thing I changed before doing a full regrind was the distributor capacitor...... no luck.

Worked all weekend. All set, all valves reground by hand......still running rough.

Eventually found out it was the capacitor and the replacement I had bought was also duff.

How we laughed.

I know Mini coopers quite well what did wrong was you didn't wind the elastic band up that connects the back seats to the radio. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

I know Mini coopers quite well what did wrong was you didn't wind the elastic band up that connects the back seats to the radio. 

I did have 14 steel plates pop riveted in the floor though........then the rear sub-frame snapped on the passenger side.....even more fun.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Daffy D said:

Replace the old valve seats

Yeah easy as Pie  just use the biggest hammer you can find  to bash the olden's out and the newen's in again ????

If the valve seats and guides have worn too much then "most people" will need to take it to a machine shop to have them replaced properly  it's a bit beyond D.I.Y for most..not impossible but difficult.

I don't know if this guy is still in business or not he may be able to help.

414083117_lathe1.jpg.c9b31340bd0753a13923dd2ca44a9d98.jpg

864958757_lathe2.jpg.d5aec6cd30f491773b61530103e3a608.jpg

56 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Don't see where the interrogation is I'm only asking a question, what he is trying to do makes no sense whatsoever.

"what he is trying to do makes no sense whatsoever".

Yes, it does, it's his decision that he wants to get the valve seats re-cut, there's nothing that doesn't make sense about that, if that's what he wants to do.   Just because you wouldn't do it that way does not mean that it "makes no sense whatsoever"

37 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I did have 14 steel plates pop riveted in the floor though........then the rear sub-frame snapped on the passenger side.....even more fun.

I had a Marina van, yeah I was the one of em ???? I jumped in the drivers side and the whole floor collapsed it was converted into a Fred Flintstones vehicle. ????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I had a Marina van, yeah I was the one of em ???? I jumped in the drivers side and the whole floor collapsed it was converted into a Fred Flintstones vehicle. ????????

The good old days where you spent every weekend working on the car in the hope it would start on Monday morning ready for work....

.......my nightmare car was a 6V VW beetle.

We could ever only live in properties that were on a hill as the 6V battery would rarely start the damn thing..

Edited by Will B Good
  • Haha 1

SR Machine shop is still in business I used him to make some drill guides about 6 months ago.

Are you trying to tell me to have him make some new valve seats or that he can recut my valve seats? 

In my service manual it says to replace the head if the valve seats have been recut but are out of spec not sure they can be replaced so I need someone that knows what they are doing & can be trusted.

Thanks again

There is no mention of valve seat replacement in the service manual if the spec is out of limits after recutting the head is to be replaced! So I need to find someone/somewhere who can recut the seats to spec. Does anyone one know where I can get this done?

Thanks guys

3 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Just a thought,

Are you checking the valve seals with the valve springs in place?

What about the valve guides?  Warn valve guides may not center the valve and make it seal properly.

OP is not listening and left the thread on repeat. 

3 minutes ago, Lancashirelad said:

Yes springs need to be on to do a leak test. Never heard of using water, always used petrol, it will leak where water wont.

Maybe look for tuned/customised car groups on F-book and ask there.

Using water is normal when the head is off. 

Don't know how he went about either. 

5 hours ago, crisp said:

There is no mention of valve seat replacement in the service manual if the spec is out of limits after recutting the head is to be replaced! So I need to find someone/somewhere who can recut the seats to spec. Does anyone one know where I can get this done?

Thanks guys

If the seats are shot, an automotive machine shop can machine the heads to take new pressed in valve seats, which will be cut and valves ground in..

16 minutes ago, crisp said:

Transam, your telling me I can get this done at a machine shop, would you be kind enough to tell me which one  Thank you

Sorry, I have no idea about auto machine shop locations, I was pointing out it can be done in one. You could do a search for Thai performance workshops, they will use automotive machine shops. If I get a minute, I will see what I can find...