Teacher in Isaan

SmillaClsn

Hello there!

I am a German student, interested in working as a volunteer teacher in Thailand after school. There are some organisations that send volunteers abroad without them having a degree in education. 

These organisations, however, only send their volunteers to Chiang May or Bangkok. I'd be interested in working for a school in the north eastern provinces, such as Kalasin. 

Would it be possible for me to just get in contact with the schools and come to an agreement without an organisation? 

I believe they would be glad to have volunteers come to them but I don't know if that is legally possible.

Thanks a lot, 

Smilla

I believe this is difficult.

I was asked to volunteer at the local high school when I arrived here 4 years ago on a retirement extension of stay, which prohibits 'work', which in some cases includes volunteering.

I would pursue the official route with a legal volunteer organisation. It's a small risk I believe but one I am not prepared to take. If you have a work permit it may be permitted as I believe you can have 2 employers on one WP. Never had a job here so wait for others more qualified to answer,

It's a bone of contention for me as I'd love to volunteer a few days a week.

Good luck

Edited by Saltire

Volunteer teaching is frowned upon by schools, because their primary motivation in getting foreign teachers is not really educating the kids. It's getting a cut of their salary.

Once you go the official route, getting a contract, Non-B visa, and work permit, the govt allocates about 60k baht a month per foreign teacher. After all the hands come out, this then makes it down to you as about 30k baht, or up to 45k if you pick the right school, negotiate your qualifications, and not go through an agency.

Yes, talking directly to a school is the best way. Many schools out in Issan are happy to get foreign teachers as most don't consider the area. I got in through friends in my wife's hometown. Good luck.

• Like 1