The Constitutional Tribunal Disbands Thai Rak Thai - Election cheating

george

What I find intriguing here is that the court, despite a supposedly knowledgeable poster calling it 'drivel, argued the cases under a strict cogent legal proposition. Further, though this added to the length of the formal reading into the record, each element was described, subjected to analysis, and placed into forensic context.

I have spoken today {and during the reading} with a number of individuals who, whilst in some cases not agreeing with the verdict, find it difficult to argue against the logic of the Tribunal decision making process.

Oddly enough I've not spoken to any who didn't understand it, nor found it unreasonably complex to follow.

Regards

So, are you trying to tell us that the majority of the country has been able to concentrate on ten hours presenting arguments? That the majority of the country has been able to understand what was said there, with every little detail highlighted, laws referred to, etc?

Ridiculous.

My point was not the supposed logic of the arguments (and i will not go through reading the whole transcript, i am not masochistic), it may be, or it may not be.

I am worried about the repercussions, and feel that things could have been handled differently. Dissolving a party with millions of supporters is not just a plain legal affair, like it or not, there are political and social considerations as well.

I feel that there is a huge irony. The disbanding of TRT is now seen as a purely legal affair. But the coup is not seen as a legal affair, even the coup was clearly illegal under the then valid constitution. Aren't there two different measurements applied?

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find intriguing here is that the court, despite a supposedly knowledgeable poster calling it 'drivel, argued the cases under a strict cogent legal proposition. Further, though this added to the length of the formal reading into the record, each element was described, subjected to analysis, and placed into forensic context.

I have spoken today {and during the reading} with a number of individuals who, whilst in some cases not agreeing with the verdict, find it difficult to argue against the logic of the Tribunal decision making process.

Oddly enough I've not spoken to any who didn't understand it, nor found it unreasonably complex to follow.

Regards

The fact that the tribunal did everything by the legal framework in making the decision should be commended. There was plenty of opportunity to make a politicaly inspired decision with judges constantly reminded of TRT organized mobs ready to cause havoc.

Reading everything, even if long and boring, into the record should also be commended as Thailand for the first time ever holds politicians accountable for their misdeeds. Putting everything into the record means transparency. Transparency was needed in this case.

Like you I have nmet nobody who doesnt understand what happened and why even if they dont like it, and that includes a couple of chats to farmers by phone.

Regards

So, are you trying to tell us that the majority of the country has been able to concentrate on ten hours presenting arguments? That the majority of the country has been able to understand what was said there, with every little detail highlighted, laws referred to, etc?

Ridiculous.

My point was not the supposed logic of the arguments (and i will not go through reading the whole transcript, i am not masochistic), it may be, or it may not be.

I am worried about the repercussions, and feel that things could have been handled differently. Dissolving a party with millions of supporters is not just a plain legal affair, like it or not, there are political and social considerations as well.

I feel that there is a huge irony. The disbanding of TRT is now seen as a purely legal affair. But the coup is not seen as a legal affair, even the coup was clearly illegal under the then valid constitution. Aren't there two different measurements applied?

I can only speak as I have found over the last 24 hours, and for that matter over the period these matters were being argued in court, I stand by what I said. If you didn't listen to the reading, nor willing to review the cases in the requisite detail {see you post herein} that is ultimately your decision. Though naturally that must be weighed against your opinion.

Regards

PS I've off to the analogue now.

/edit typo//

Edited by A_Traveller

Regards

Ridiculous.

Hi Colpyat.

The threat of violence that TRT has hung over everyone for so long was going to be challenged by someone not giving into it at some point. This is the time. The judges used the law as they should and ignored the threats. Now it is up to TRT are they really going to unleash paid mobs who will also no doubt get some sympathy from other TRT supporters?

If the judges had made a political fudge thereby giving a green light to future massive electoral manipulation at some later stage another issue would have only led a decision not liked by TRT. Admittedly I am surprised by the decision and worried by how things will go over the next few days. However, sooner or later TRT was always going to have to decide violence or not.

It is also good to see that for the future Thailand now has a kind of precedent that politiciains will bear responsibility for their misdeeds and be punished. This of course does nothing for other past misdeeds but it does set some kind of standard for the future. Lets hope it is adhered to. Lets also hope for no violence.

I can only speak as I have found over the last 24 hours, and for that matter over the period these matters were being argued in court, I stand by what I said. If you didn't listen to the reading, nor willing to review the cases in the requisite detail {see you post herein} that is ultimately your decision. Though naturally that must be weighed against your opinion.

Regards

PS I've off to the analogue now.

/edit typo//

I listened to large parts of the reading (most of the time though drifting off because of sheer boredom). My opinions are not about the legalities (i am not qualified to make such statements) other than this happened under a government that came to power illegally. I just wonder what legal position such a tribunal has held under an illegal government.

Care to enlighten me? Is there any legal clause that allows for a military take over?

Because, if politicians have to be held responsible in legal terms, the military has to as well. Otherwise this is a perversion of justice, along the lines of 'quod licet jovi non licet bovi', and any legalities involved are led ad absurdum.

Regards

Ridiculous.

Hi Colpyat.

The threat of violence that TRT has hung over everyone for so long was going to be challenged by someone not giving into it at some point. This is the time. The judges used the law as they should and ignored the threats. Now it is up to TRT are they really going to unleash paid mobs who will also no doubt get some sympathy from other TRT supporters?

If the judges had made a political fudge thereby giving a green light to future massive electoral manipulation at some later stage another issue would have only led a decision not liked by TRT. Admittedly I am surprised by the decision and worried by how things will go over the next few days. However, sooner or later TRT was always going to have to decide violence or not.

It is also good to see that for the future Thailand now has a kind of precedent that politiciains will bear responsibility for their misdeeds and be punished. This of course does nothing for other past misdeeds but it does set some kind of standard for the future. Lets hope it is adhered to. Lets also hope for no violence.

But what about the thread of violence by the military that hangs over us now? When will that be judged according to the law, and not according who has the guns and clout? Judging politicians misdeeds is important, but ignoring much worse misdeeds by the military (a coup is maybe the worst offense in a democracy) is absurd.

So far No Bombs, No protests, no shootings. Thats good enough for Thailand; farangs included.

Lets hope the next few days are calm.

The rest is all SAME SAME, Thailand stye of politics.! Learn to live with it.

So far No Bombs, No protests, no shootings. Thats good enough for Thailand; farangs included.

First after-verdict protest is today at 4 pm at Royal Plaza. Many Thais who do not want to life with "Thailand style" politics anymore will attend.

last time i looked , YALA was still in Thailand.

From the rapid flurry of news items on the Nation it looks like TRT are going to play by the rules and set up a new party. Even Abhisit has asked that they can have the same name to contest the election. We will see but this sonds positive although the PTV boys are usually a tad more extreme.

I bet there are a few meetings and phone calls between various players today!

Regards

Ridiculous.

Hi Colpyat.

But what about the thread of violence by the military that hangs over us now? When will that be judged according to the law, and not according who has the guns and clout? Judging politicians misdeeds is important, but ignoring much worse misdeeds by the military (a coup is maybe the worst offense in a democracy) is absurd.

Well Mr. Thaksin and his government have been judged when out of office. If the coupmeisters have committed crimes I guess that is when they will be judged if it happens. At the moment they have no amnesty. No governemtn whether it be Junta or Mr. Thaksin allows itself to be judged while in office if it can be avoided.

When I was in law school, we learned that "hard cases make bad law." Tonight's decision is clearly an example of this. For all of the sins of Mr Thaksin and TRT, banning a large party is simply a bad precedent, and a step back from democracy. Richard Nixon's administration was the closest the United States came to a dictatorship in living memory. However, no one raised the thought of disbanding or abolishing the Republican party. The way we get rid of bad politicians is to vote them out of office, not get rid of their parties. There are many in Thai Rak Thai, such as Mr Chaturon, who have something positive to contribute to this country. Why deprive them of what are in essence a huge chunk of their civil rights! Put the guilty ones on trial, instead.

On a lighter note, I am starting a new party.....called Farang Rak Thai. I think I can get many members, but few voters.

Keep calm.

###### sensible rashionable people like you@!:o

As much as I hate TRT I have to agree with you here, can't disband a whole party for convictoins of a few, no party(or person for that matter) in Thailand is without corruption but they do need to take out the bigger abusers from time to time to keep some semblance of order...

So sad such a beautiful country like this has so much corruption... wouldn't be suprised if there was some form of corruption going on with the judges in this case too! It just never ends does it! Really bored of it!

Perhaps my old memory is failing me but I recall that the coup was a popular one and had the blessing of HRH and many of the populace.

It was brought about because the upcoming election had developped into a sham ,thanks to thaksin and TRT.

His Highness the King at his recent meeting with the Tribunal judges told them that justice had to be seen to be done in a way that the majority of Thais could comprehend, (hence the long explanations of the verdicts and the reasoning behind those verdicts), It seems to be only certain farang who preferred to do an ostrich act .

The people around my area seem to have accepted the decision and life goes on as usual,perhaps they have more sense than the Psuedo interlectuals posting here give them credit for.

My old man used to say ,stay out of discussions on politics and religion as they always degenerate into brawls, which is probably where this thread is headed.

From the rapid flurry of news items on the Nation it looks like TRT are going to play by the rules and set up a new party. Even Abhisit has asked that they can have the same name to contest the election. We will see but this sonds positive although the PTV boys are usually a tad more extreme.

Yeps.

I doubt very much that TRT/PTV/etc are monolithically run organisations as claimed by many here adhering to the Thaksin is the devil impersonated conspiracy.

People do as they want, and whatever moves Chaturon makes, PTV etc do their own.

I doubt though that it will come to large scale violence (most Bangkokogians are indifferent or pro junta, the rest too busy providing for their families and/or scared), and even if, the big difference between May '92 and now is that the armed forced do have proper riot training and gear.

The chapter of TRT is not over, because the feelings of dispossession of large parts of the society here are still existing as the did before, and sooner or later those will find another outlet until the old elited will start reforms.

Perhaps my old memory is failing me but I recall that the coup was a popular one and had the blessing of HRH and many of the populace.

It was brought about because the upcoming election had developped into a sham ,thanks to thaksin and TRT.

His Highness the King at his recent meeting with the Tribunal judges told them that justice had to be seen to be done in a way that the majority of Thais could comprehend, (hence the long explanations of the verdicts and the reasoning behind those verdicts), It seems to be only certain farang who preferred to do an ostrich act .

The people around my area seem to have accepted the decision and life goes on as usual,perhaps they have more sense than the Psuedo interlectuals posting here give them credit for.

My old man used to say ,stay out of discussions on politics and religion as they always degenerate into brawls, which is probably where this thread is headed.

Sorry, but we have had a constitution that made it very clear that military coups are illegal. And to conform with board rules i will not answer on speculation about the motivations or actions of the Monarch.

Edited by ColPyat

Sorry, but we have had a constitution that made it very clear that military coups are illegal. And to conform with board rules i will not answer on speculation about the motivations or actions of the Monarch.

:D All Thai politicians, regardless of party, are corrupt to one extent or the other. So how is this going to make any difference?

The only real question is how will all this instability affect the Baht rate against the Dollar?

:o

Yeps.

I doubt very much that TRT/PTV/etc are monolithically run organisations as claimed by many here adhering to the Thaksin is the devil impersonated conspiracy.

People do as they want, and whatever moves Chaturon makes, PTV etc do their own.

I doubt though that it will come to large scale violence (most Bangkokogians are indifferent or pro junta, the rest too busy providing for their families and/or scared), and even if, the big difference between May '92 and now is that the armed forced do have proper riot training and gear.

The chapter of TRT is not over, because the feelings of dispossession of large parts of the society here are still existing as the did before, and sooner or later those will find another outlet until the old elited will start reforms.

Thaksin made that very claim with his 'CEO model' he said he was THE BOSS!

As you should know, Thaksin has made many claims that have very little to do with reality. Not exactly uncommon under politicians.

Funny, you folks always state that you believe Thaksin is always lying, yet - you chose to believe him when it suits your argumentation.

Shawn Crisipin has another piece up in the A-Times speculating on the decrease of TRTs popular support (he has done articles on this before) and how analysis should now turn away from a possible TRT return to power and move to how the military-politcian axis wiill develop

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/IF01Ae01.html

That's a quote our pro junta posters should internalize, and what that means to "democracy" in Thailand:

"The junta members' attempts to include a blanket amnesty and institutionalize a future political role for themselves through the establishment of an emergency council in the new draft constitution highlighted those concerns. And the junta's controversial bid to embolden the Internal Security Operation Command and empower it to appoint a deputy governor for each of the country's 77 provinces clearly indicate that the military intends to extend its political influence rather than return to the barracks after elections set for this year."

When all is said and done the former government 1) gave more economic security to the poor of Thailand <by putting them even further in debt> 2 ) ran a dynamic & expanding economy <and then ran that economy into the ground> 3) presented an image of Thailand internationally which was open and generally fair and tolerant. <and known for corruption on a massive scale etc etc>

Presently the picture we have abroad of Thailand does not seem to fit that image. I hope liberal democracy will soon be re-established.

I hope that Democracy will be re-established as well ...

Shawn Crisipin has another piece up in the A-Times speculating on the decrease of TRTs popular support (he has done articles on this before) and how analysis should now turn away from a possible TRT return to power and move to how the military-politcian axis wiill develop

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/IF01Ae01.html

That's a quote our pro junta posters should internalize, and what that means to "democracy" in Thailand:

"The junta members' attempts to include a blanket amnesty and institutionalize a future political role for themselves through the establishment of an emergency council in the new draft constitution highlighted those concerns. And the junta's controversial bid to embolden the Internal Security Operation Command and empower it to appoint a deputy governor for each of the country's 77 provinces clearly indicate that the military intends to extend its political influence rather than return to the barracks after elections set for this year."

That links to why I was surprised at the verdict. I honstly thought Somkid and Somsak would get off so they could set up a pro-military party. Now it will be harder for the Junta to manipulate parliament directly. Particularly if the Dems get control who never quite see eye to eye with the soldiers. Maybe the verdict was not what the Junta wanted too. Though we will never know

As you should know, Thaksin has made many claims that have very little to do with reality. Not exactly uncommon under politicians.

Funny, you folks always state that you believe Thaksin is always lying, yet - you chose to believe him when it suits your argumentation.

:o ok ... He wasn't the BOSS ... it wasn't his money controlling things etc ..... <what a dreamer!>

Th

There must be dust in your eyes ColPyat ,I distinctly said that I recall it was a popular Coup,I made no mention of its legality or otherwise.

Gary A>>Paying off parties to run to bypass election-laws are illegal and are in part what brought this on.

nick2k>>Yes, you might think it would be funny...I wouldn't expect any less from you. :o

TAWP, can you prove that? No you can't and neither could anyone else. They would have loved to prosecute him for that but they couldn't prove it even though everyone knows it.

Maybe it's just me but, it's seems to me that thailand just traded one bunch of crooks for another. You can't tell me that the Junta isn't filling it's pockets as well. All you have to do is take a look at all of the new cars, homes and apartments/condo's that have come into their possession since coming into power via coup. The Junta won't give up their cash cow and go quitely into the night. Greed has always been the issue. Not just in Thailand but, every other country I can think of. I wouldn't be the least shocked to see that the judges in this case also have new found wealth. It is MHO that you will see Philippine style assasinations before the next election. Anyone (including the democrats) who dare opposes Junta rule will be taking a dirt nap or having a bonfire send off. These assasinations will be blamed on the now defunct TRT. It's just a matter of time.

Edited by pyrolover2000

Maybe it's just me but, it's seems to me that thailand just traded one bunch of crooks for another. You can't tell me that the Junta isn't filling it's pockets as well. All you have to do is take a look at all of the new cars, homes and apartments/condo's that have come into their possession since coming into power via coup. The Junta won't give up their cash cow and go quitely into the night. Greed has always been the issue. Not just in Thailand but, every other country I can think of. I wouldn't be the least shocked to see that the judges in this case also have new found wealth. It is MHO that you will see Philippine style assasinations before the next election. Anyone (including the democrats) who dare opposes Junta rule will be taking a dirt nap or having a bonfire send off. These assasinations will be blamed on the now defunct TRT. It's just a matter of time.

Care to document any of these allegations?

Haven't you seen any of these guys on the the news getting out of new cars? If not, watch more closely.

Haven't you seen any of these guys on the the news getting out of new cars? If not, watch more closely.

LOL

a new car? they got out of a new .... car?

That sticks in your mind as evidence of corruption? Who owns the car? Is it a Gov't car?

Tell me more about the houses and apartments/condos now!