The Constitutional Tribunal Disbands Thai Rak Thai - Election cheating

george

Courts all over the world often make statements about findings .... and yes they answered the question of Guilt.

again ... illegal junta! lol

while almost everyone would like to see democracy returned to Thailand ... the current government here is legitimate ... even if they did take power through a coup!

<again as Juntas go ... this one aint bad! :o >

You still fail to explain how the coup was legal, and therefore this government. Again - would you provide us please with the relevant article in the then valid '97 constitution that allowed the military to make their coup.

Very curious.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of being a repeat offender, as I said at one o'clock this morning:-

The court today confirmed the legal advice the Democrats received at the time that their actions were entirely legal within the constitutional law at that time. The court critically found that TRT's position was not constitutional at that time and therefore for that key reason the party was forfeit.

As has been said during the day the judgements were rigorous and not a flexible response. Nor had they been drafted in the last week. Ultimately the court has discharged its duty in a manner commensurate with its mandate.

Regards

Not very illuminating, i am afraid. Why was one party within constitutional law, and one wasn't?

The courts findings stated the Demos did not bribe small parties ... TRT did ... how is that hard to understand? The Demo's choice not to contest the elections were legal etc etc etc ...

the same rules were applied to both cases! Even I followed that in the proceedings <in Thai> and I am a baby here in Thailand :D

Well, as i did not read the verdict, and the televised speech sent me into drift off dreamland, i may not be the most competent poster to ask these questions here (one statement though bothered me a bit, and that was one judge explaining the he was not "happy", and i wondered how that belongs into this verdict), but still - did the court establish a clear connection, beyond reasonable doubt, between the party and the individuals who have bribed the smaller parties?

Just curious.

That still leaves us with the general legalities of a tribunal set up by a junta that came to power through clearly illegal means.

My head spins now.

Courts all over the world often make statements about findings .... and yes they answered the question of Guilt.

again ... illegal junta! lol

while almost everyone would like to see democracy returned to Thailand ... the current government here is legitimate ... even if they did take power through a coup!

<again as Juntas go ... this one aint bad! :o >

Under the constitution of the country, were coups legal? If not, then the junta is illegally governing the country.

I don't know why you find that funny. Is it the idea of constitutional legality so hilarious?

The Constitutional Tribunal disbands Thai Rak Thai

BANGKOK: -- The Constitutional Tribunal disbands Thai Rak Thai

The Constitutional Tribunal Judges found Thai Rak Thai Party guilty of violating the electoral laws and ordered it to be disbanded.

They also revoked the voting rights of the party's 111 executives for five years. The party has committed wrongdoings that have negative impacts on democracy system of the country.

The judges said that senior members of the party, Thamarak Isarangura and Pongsak Ruktapongpisal, guilty of paying and hiring small parties to run in the April 2 national election.

They dismissed the party's arguments that the party's executives were not aware of both members' wrongdoings. They said it was impossible that the executives did not know the wrongdoings.

The party's executives sitting in the court room, including acting party leader Chaturon Chaisang, greeted the verdict with grim face.

The Tribunal also dissolved Pattana Chart Thai and Pandin Thai banned voting rights of their executives for five years.

TRT's acting leader Chaturon said after the rulings that the verdicts were unexpected.

However he said that he and the party will accept the rulings. He urged the party's supporters to stay calm and accept what the Tribunal ruled.

The party will hold a press conference on the issue at 11am on Thursday.

--The Nation 2007-05-30

I must say, the Thai concept of free elections and democracies reminds me of an Indian expression of American freedom, "He speak with forked tongue."

Blaze ... there is no current constitution. So no ... they are not illegally governing the country :o Their actions under the old constitution were illegal as were many of Thaksin's.

now Blaze ... think back ... remember a dissolved Parlaiment? ... botched elections? rampant corruption? the stripping away of checks and balances? the former government was complicit in all of that.

remember a government that could not be even censured? that's not a part of democracy either :D

Was there any chance of getting a new government the way things stood at the time of the coup? Nope!

Something had to change ... the change we got was a lot better than many other options available!

Two bad decisions

The combination of the new constitution and the tribunal's banishment from politics for five years of the top 111 officials of Thai Rak Thai make it extremely unlikely that political stability will be achieved.

For both Malaysia and Thailand, the rulings on Wednesday represent major setbacks in their efforts to become fully developed societies in which pluralism is enshrined in the conduct of institutions.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/05/31/opinion/edbowring.php

Was there any chance of getting a new government the way things stood at the time of the coup? Nope!

Wrong again. Elections were in the process to be set up - the interim government tried to push for October while the other parties refused and suggested November. The interim government agreed, and there were already speculations on the final date.

Yes, there would have been more than a chance, even though the PAD threatening again to demonstrate which was used as an excuse by the military to make a coup, instead of concentrating on the duties under the constitution.

Ah, yes, i forgot, yet unconfirmed rumors seen as fact of a few badly armed forest rangers descending to Bangkok and bringing mayhem and chaos. The same Bangkok that has the largest concentration of Army in the country. :o

Wrong again. Elections were in the process to be set up - the interim government tried to push for October while the other parties refused and suggested November. The interim government agreed, and there were already speculations on the final date.

Yes, there would have been more than a chance, even though the PAD threatening again to demonstrate which was used as an excuse by the military to make a coup, instead of concentrating on the duties under the constitution.

Ah, yes, i forgot, yet unconfirmed rumors seen as fact of a few badly armed forest rangers descending to Bangkok and bringing mayhem and chaos. The same Bangkok that has the largest concentration of Army in the country. :o

Not likely that those elections would have happened or if so solved any of the staanding problems ... so again ... my OPINION is there was no chance of getting a new government in a timely fashion.

I would suggest to return to the reality. Please, pay attention to

the quote from general Sonthi from the article below. Do not let wackos like THAIGOON or PLUS to carry you away!

Thailand's Return to Democracy Faces Hurdles After Thaksin Ban

By Dominic Diongson and Suttinee Yuvejwattana

May 31 (Bloomberg) -- Thailand faces further obstacles in returning to democracy after a military-appointed court banned the country's most successful political party and its leaders, including ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Thaksin, deposed in a September coup, was last night judged to have violated election laws in an April 2006 snap poll by a junta-appointed tribunal. The nine judges disbanded his Thai Rak Thai party and slapped five-year political bans on 111 of its executives.

Thailand's junta, which wants to pass a new constitution via referendum before elections promised for December, may find it hard to get support from the millions of Thais who gave Thaksin a record mandate of 377 of 500 parliamentary seats in 2005. The exiled leader called the ruling harsh and unexpected.

``The confrontation that we've had in Thailand over the past two years is now likely to deepen,'' said Thitinan Pongsudhirak, director of the Institute of Security and International Studies at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok. ``There's a very large electorate that has been left dangling.''

``It is certain that people around the country won't accept this ruling,'' Chaturon Chaisang, acting leader of Thai Rak Thai, told supporters at the party headquarters in Bangkok last night. ``The country is under the rule of military dictators. The country is under a regime that is not acceptable in the international community.''

The same judges absolved the Democrat Party of offenses including preventing parties from contesting last year's election via a boycott. Members of that party, Thailand's oldest and Thaksin's main opposition when he was in power, will be able to take part in planned December elections.

Democrat Windfall

``This is a huge political windfall for the Democrat Party'' said Thitinan of Chulalongkorn University. ``They lost recent elections. Now the Democrat Party looks like they will lead the next coalition.''

Among 44 political parties listed on the Web site of the Office of the Election Commission of Thailand as of February, Thai Rak Thai was the largest, with 14.4 million members. The Democrat Party was second biggest with 4.1 million members.

Korn Chatikavanij, deputy secretary-general of the Democrat Party in Thailand, said that his party was ``sympathetic'' to Thai Rak Thai members and would ``reach out to them.''

Thaksin, in a statement issued by his lawyer Noppadol Pattama, said the verdict ``will be studied and criticized for a long time'' and called on the junta to return democracy to the people quickly.

He called on Thai Rak Thai members to continue with political activity ``for the benefit of the country.''

Quiet so Far

``People have been quiet so far,'' said James McCormack, head of Asian sovereign ratings at Fitch Ratings. ``But the first opportunity people have to voice an opinion is this referendum that's coming up in the middle of the year.''

Bangkok was peaceful during the reading of the verdict Wednesday afternoon and night and on Thursday. Thailand's junta deployed more than 10,000 soldiers and police in the capital, and said today it would maintain an indefinite national security clampdown, according to AFP.

``Security measures have been stepped up since last night and will gradually be increased,'' Army Chief Sonthi Boonyaratglin told the news agency. ``The measures will be in place for a long time.''

The tribunal last night found Pongsak Raktapongpaisal, Thaksin's former transport minister, and Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayutthaya, his ex-defense minister, guilty of paying candidates from smaller parties to run in an April 2006 election that was later annulled. The two small parties are the Thai Ground Party and Pattana Chartthai Party, the judges said.

`Preventing Damage'

``Banning those executives is aimed at preventing them from having a chance to cause damage to the country again,'' Judge Krairerk Kasemsant said while delivering the verdict, broadcast on state-controlled radio and television.

With staunch support from Thailand's majority rural voters, Thai Rak Thai, or `Thais Love Thais' captured a record number of parliamentary seats in Feb. 2005 elections, delivering the first absolute majority in the country's history and making Thaksin the first prime minister elected for two consecutive terms.

Thaksin's overthrow followed months of protests against his rule and the election he called in an attempt to quell them. That vote was boycotted by the opposition and later voided for the charges ruled on yesterday.

To contact the reporters on this story: Dominic G. Diongson in Bangkok at ddiongson[at]bloomberg.net

Last Updated: May 31, 2007 05:13 EDT

Blaze ... there is no current constitution. So no ... they are not illegally governing the country :o Their actions under the old constitution were illegal as were many of Thaksin's.

now Blaze ... think back ... remember a dissolved Parlaiment? ... botched elections? rampant corruption? the stripping away of checks and balances? the former government was complicit in all of that.

remember a government that could not be even censured? that's not a part of democracy either :D

Something had to change ... the change we got was a lot better than many other options available!

to summarise, by abolishing the constitution, they made their actions legal ?

LOL indeed.

Blaze ... there is no current constitution. So no ... they are not illegally governing the country :D Their actions under the old constitution were illegal as were many of Thaksin's.

LOL indeed.

did you read the whole post sjaa? :o Nah I guess not :D

``Security measures have been stepped up since last night and will gradually be increased,'' Army Chief Sonthi Boonyaratglin told the news agency. ``The measures will be in place for a long time.''

move along , nothing to see here .......................... :o

Blaze ... there is no current constitution. So no ... they are not illegally governing the country :D Their actions under the old constitution were illegal as were many of Thaksin's.

LOL indeed.

Well I did, and let me comment some more.

Yes there would surely have been a new government, most likely again TRT and Thaksin, one of the reasons for the coup IMHO.

I mean I cannot look to this in any other way, then to think that millions of voters have been declared insignificant by the now ruling junta. Sure Thaksin was corrupt, sure he was arrogant, but he was an elected PM by a landslide in 2005, and again a year later, the fact that he democrats boycotted that particular election, making it impossible to have a functional parlement is all the more reason to think about their actions and motives.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't like Thaksin either, but if he did break the law, he should have been removed in a legal way, by impeachment process and not by the millitary as is now the case.

Of course the ruling of the "constitutional court" isn't a surprise and I don't believe for one minute that the ruling is not biased.

LOL indeed.

Well I did, and let me comment some more.

Yes there would surely have been a new government, most likely again TRT and Thaksin, one of the reasons for the coup IMHO.

I mean I cannot look to this in any other way, then to think that millions of voters have been declared insignificant by the now ruling junta. Sure Thaksin was corrupt, sure he was arrogant, but he was an elected PM by a landslide in 2005, and again a year later, the fact that he democrats boycotted that particular election, making it impossible to have a functional parlement is all the more reason to think about their actions and motives.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't like Thaksin either, but if he did break the law, he should have been removed in a legal way, by impeachment process and not by the millitary as is now the case.

Of course the ruling of the "constitutional court" isn't a surprise and I don't believe for one minute that the ruling is not biased.

So you didn't read the whole post .... how would they have removed Thaksin in a way that would have fit in with your western culture bias? He could not eveb be censured in Parlamaint!

That's because there wasn't a functional parlement at the time, of course after proper elections there would have been one. They just had to wait a few more months. Instead they made sure he couldn't be re-elected.

That's because there wasn't a functional parlement at the time, of course after proper elections there would have been one. They just had to wait a few more months. Instead they made sure he couldn't be re-elected.

and BEFORE MrT dissolved parlaiment he could not be censured either!

it was NOTHING like a western Democracy here then ... (and is about the same now!!!)

Sure you are right that it's nothing like a western democracy, but surely if Thaksin abused his power too much, he would have been voted away at some point. And I do know a lot of Thai people, who probably even now would vote for him without hesitation. That remains the key here, by removing him from office by using a coup (I know it is very Thai), you make those people's vote invalid.

If that's western bias, so be it. But I do feel that way. And anything done by the current government will meet with hesitation and distrust on my part.

Let's hope they do come up with a solid constitution and that people can freely choose their government again, but I doubt that will be for this year.

The key point here {censure} was Section 185 of the 1997 Constitution, which required two fifths of the House of Representatives formal petition for a motion of censure. Given TRT's position it was, unless TRT members 'defected' impossible to have a censure debate on the Prime Minister. One fifth was required for a specific minister.

One of the issues which the 1997 constitution tried to address, including the revolving door of the PM's office by the use of censure by coalitions of disaffected parties led to a position that TRT was to a large degree uncensurable.

Regards

Apparently a skirmish occurred between police and demonstrators at the rally site of PTV founders according to a report on.http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/read.php?newsid=30035682

Has anything further gone on?

Apparently a skirmish occurred between police and demonstrators at the rally site of PTV founders according to a report on.http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/read.php?newsid=30035682

Has anything further gone on?

No, nothing.

There were though several thousand demonstrators, maybe 5000 or so.

Not likely that those elections would have happened or if so solved any of the staanding problems ... so again ... my OPINION is there was no chance of getting a new government in a timely fashion.

The only stumbling block to elections would have been the PAD threats of renewed mass demonstrations, and not Thaksin or TRT. That would have been something the security forces could have dealt with the same way they are doing now to stop mass demonstrations.

And the outcome would have been, as already pointed out to you, that TRT would have formed the government, though with a much smaller majority, and a much stronger opposition able to function properly. TRT had at that time already defections of some of the most powerful members.

An added advantage would have been that the Democrats would have had the time to properly formulate a policy (which they still haven't managed to), and one day a Democratic change of government would have happened.

TRT voters are always described, depending on mood of the attacker, as stupid, thugs, corrupt, and whatever. The mass of their voters were people who actually did benefit from the policies, and who have not benefited much from any other government - just normal people.

The verdict may have been according to the law (or not, i am not competent enough to make such a judgment), but the overlaying issues are that:

-The tribunal was set up by a non-elected government that came to power through a clearly illegal coup.

-Most Thais do not understand the verdict (who has time to listen to explanations for ten hours, and much of it in a language and legal context that is simply beyond the majority of the population).

-The main reason of the coup - of healing the splits in the population, well, these splits have yesterday been even widened, and are bigger than ever before. Just because the millions of TRT supporters in the country do not go to the streets like the PAD (and many of the upcountry supporters who wanted to attend were turned back), does not change the huge feelings of dispossession and being made irrelevant these people have now.

This is far from over, and we will have to live for the next decade with the results of knee jerk reactions to an uncomfortable PM, which could have been solved with patience and adhering to democracy in a fashion that could have brought Thailand much further in its development.

Instead - it has been assured that Thailand's way to democracy has experienced a huge set back. What point is now in the new constitution and election when the military has already set itself up in a way that makes it almost impossible to be scrutinized by parliament?

The next conflict is already in the making.

I understand Colpyat that you can't see viewpoints that are different than your own and that you have failed to see what the REAL damage of Thaksin was. That is OK :o

Since Thaksin was beyond censure ... That his gov't was NOT democratic ... that letting it stand suggested that it WAS in fact democratic etc etc ...

Fortunately, it ended the way it did ... though I would have preffered a slightly different outcome without a military coup, I still think that it was going to HAVE to come down to an outside change.

Hopefully they will take time to create a good working constitution this time! I do see some issues with what is in the works so far but I think I'll reserve judgement until I see a final draft :D

I understand Colpyat that you can't see viewpoints that are different than your own and that you have failed to see what the REAL damage of Thaksin was. That is OK :o

Since Thaksin was beyond censure ... That his gov't was NOT democratic ... that letting it stand suggested that it WAS in fact democratic etc etc ...

Fortunately, it ended the way it did ... though I would have preffered a slightly different outcome without a military coup, I still think that it was going to HAVE to come down to an outside change.

Hopefully they will take time to create a good working constitution this time! I do see some issues with what is in the works so far but I think I'll reserve judgement until I see a final draft :D

Right, I think that your are going a bit too fast there. The fact that he was beyond cesure is merely a result of the constitution and election law, I mean he had 377 out of 500 seats, by the winner takes all district logic (which IMO isn't democratic, that's where I agree), but that was the election law at the time, that he gainded enough votes to be beyond cesure is surely democratic, since it is in accordance to the law. And providing the election was fair, was in accordance to the people's wishes.

The way to change that is by changing the constitution, and given enough time (without military intervention) this would have surely been possible.

Right, I think that your are going a bit too fast there. The fact that he was beyond cesure is merely a result of the constitution and election law, I mean he had 377 out of 500 seats, by the winner takes all district logic (which IMO isn't democratic, that's where I agree), but that was the election law at the time, that he gainded enough votes to be beyond cesure is surely democratic, since it is in accordance to the law. And providing the election was fair, was in accordance to the people's wishes.

The way to change that is by changing the constitution, and given enough time (without military intervention) this would have surely been possible.

We disagree :D But I don't think that 'democracy' is the ultimate end for all things ... in this case justice was more important :D

I think you should have lived here a bit longer, and observed Thai politics a few more years, in order to understand that Thaksin, even though his many faults and infractions, was in some ways even more "democratic" than any other government before. It was, like it or not, the first elected, and re-elected government that Thailand ever had. The TRT government did, like it or not, represent the majority of the country.

A democratic end of Thaksin would have brought Thailand further, the coup set Thailand back decades. All the decades of struggles to get the military out of politics have been wiped out. The military is right back in politics, stronger than it ever was. And it is still riddled with infighting, large scale corruption and involvement in crime.

The base of democracy is a social contract to change governments via the ballot box. Yes, Thaksin has infringed on many independent institutions, but, given time, he would have been removed. By the time the elections were announced many of his most important allies have left him, and he might very possibly not have survived the legislative period.

Thaksin's rise is explainable by the failures of previous governments, and all the other parties. Have you been living here before the crises? Have you observed the blatant corruption of the constantly changing weak coalition governments?

The infighting and arguing over positions that have resulted in completely neglecting the villagers and their problems? What was before that? Premocracy - a PM that never was voted in by the people?

What about the Democrat government after Chuan 2? The villagers in the North and North east were completely neglected, and slipped in a mass drug addiction that i have never seen in such a scale before. What did the Democrats do? Nothing.

But yeah, sorry, i forgot - you haven't lived here at that time.

All along vote buying was rampant, and villagers have expected no more than a few hundred baht and party jackets from the elections. At least TRT has given them some in return, such as the first national health system, and that way has managed to draw previously disinterested people into the political decision making process.

And given time, this would have been his unmaking as well. Sooner or later people would have realized that many of his schemes were indeed vote gathering political games.

You mentioned that Thai economy was wrecked? I don't see it. After the coup the first finance minister has stated that the debts are all managable. Then, they have taken away rice subsidies, and doubled the military budget.

Now, all the real basics of democracy - the power of one vote has been made irrelevant. People will remember that their vote only counts as long as the military and other powerful vested interests are not opposed to it.

Thaksin is a side issue. The issue is how and when will democracy and a fair system develop here. And that development will not come from the military. TRT rule could have been at least a stepping stone to this as it empowered social sectors that were never before part of anything.

View points that are my own?

Sorry, but there is no registered political party in Thailand that would even distantly represent my views. The military has made sure in the 70s that political parties i could support are gone from the landscape. I believe in social democracy (read up on it, please) as the best practical system of government, and every single registered party in Thailand is so far off the right of my personal viewpoints that this is really irrelevant.

I am simply looking at the development of democracy in Thailand, and not where my personal political views are represented. They definitely are not represented by TRT, Thaksin, or any other party here.

TRT was driven out by social forces that are far more detrimental to the development of democracy than TRT ever was. And that will have repercussions for the next decade at least, even of not yet visible for some here.

General Sonthi is currently in charge in Thailand and undoubtedly will play an important role in shaping up Thailand political future (at least near term). The following article provides some information about him.

<H1 class=firstHeading>Sonthi Boonyaratglin</H1><H3 id=siteSub>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</H3>Jump to: navigation, search50px-Current_event_marker.svg.pngThis article documents a current event.

Information may change rapidly as the event progresses.350px-Khom_Chad_Luek_front_page,_31_December_2006.jpg magnify-clip.pngSonthi Boonyaratkalin (right) named "Man of the Year 2006" by Khom Chad Luek newspaper along with Sondhi LimthongkulSonthi Boonyaratglin

สนธิ บุญยรัตกลินCouncil for National SecurityIncumbentAssumed office

19 September 2006Preceded byThaksin Shinawatra

(as Prime Minister)Born02 October 1946 (1946-10-02) (age 60)

NationalityThaiPolitical partyNoneProfessionCommander-in-Chief of Royal Thai ArmyReligionIslamGeneral Sonthi Boonyaratglin (Thai: สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน, RTGS: Sonthi Bunyaratkalin) (b. 2 October 1946) is Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Army and head of the Council for National Security, the military junta that rules the kingdom. He is the first Muslim in charge of the mostly Buddhist army[1]. On 19 September 2006, he became the de facto head of government of Thailand after overthrowing the elected government in a coup d'état.[2] Sonthi has two wives, Sukanya and Piyada, despite legal prohibitions against bigamy.

Contents

[hide]

• <LI class=toclevel-1>
1 Education and early career <LI class=toclevel-1>2 Conflicts with Thaksin Shinawatra <LI class=toclevel-1>3 Southern Thailand insurgency <LI class=toclevel-1>4 Military coup <LI class=toclevel-1>5 Permanent constitution <LI class=toclevel-1>6 Relations with Singapore <LI class=toclevel-1>7 Other controversies <LI class=toclevel-1>8 Future role <LI class=toclevel-1>9 Personal life <LI class=toclevel-1>10 Quotes <LI class=toclevel-1>11 References
12 External links

//

[edit] Education and early career

Sonthi Boonyaratglin graduated from the 6th Class of the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School. He graduated from Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy in 1969 as part of Class 17 and was commissioned into the Royal Army Infantry Corps. He went on to lead several top units, including the elite Special Warfare Command based in Lopburi province.[3]

In August 2004, Sonthi was appointed Deputy Army Commander.[4] Against public expectations, Sonthi was promoted to Army Commander in October 2005. Sonthi's fast rise was backed by retired armed forces Supreme Commander General Surayud Chulanont (with whom he had served while leading the Special Warfare Command) and Privy Council President General Prem Tinsulanonda.[5] Both serve as advisers to King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

[edit] Conflicts with Thaksin Shinawatra

As Army Commander, General Sonthi repeatedly assured the public that the army would not interfere in the political crisis, although he has said that "His Majesty must have been saddened" by the nation's political problems.[6][7] He has also protested Thaksin's unsuccessful attempt to promote a large number of his own former classmates from Class 10 of the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School to army units responsible for Bangkok's security.[8]

The 2006 annual military reshuffle was delayed due to the political crisis, as caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra denied that he planned to remove Sonthi as Army Commander.[9][10] Despite this, Sonthi consolidating his personal power base by transferring out 129 mid-ranking officers under generals that he thought were loyal to the Prime Minister. Some observers saw this as a message to the Government that Sonthi was still firmly in charge of the Army.[11]

As late as May 2006, Sonthi publicly denied the need for a military coup:

“Whenever soldiers get involved in politics, it seems that the nation's problems begin to escalate and become worse. Military officers, accordingly, must step back from politics. With that firm and clear stance, I assure everyone that there definitely won't be a coup.[12]

[edit] Southern Thailand insurgency

See also: South Thailand insurgency After being appointed Army Commander in 2005, Sonthi expressed confidence that he could resolve the insurgency. He claimed that he would take a "new and effective" approach to a crisis and that "The army is informed [of who the insurgents are] and will carry out their duties."[13] Sonthi was granted an extraordinary increase in executive powers to combat unrest in the far South.[14] However, up to 19 September 2006, the Army admitted that they had no idea who the insurgents were.[15] The drastic escalation of the insurgency during his leadership of the Army led to much public criticism of Army efforts.

While assigned to the South, Sonthi suggested that former communist insurgents might be playing a role in the unrest. Leaders of the southern provinces displayed skepticism over his suggestion and investigations did not reveal any communist link.[16]

Sonthi was also blamed for failing to rescue two teachers who had been severely beaten by a mob in May 2006.[17] One of them, Juling Pangamoon, is still in a coma and attracted fame for being the focus of attention from the royal family of Thailand.[18]

On August 2006 after 22 commercial banks were simultaneously bombed in Yala province, Sonthi announced that he would break with government policy and negotiate with the leaders of the insurgency. However, he noted that "We still don't know who is the real head of the militants we are fighting with."[19] In a press conference the next day, he attacked the government for criticizing him for trying to negotiate with the anonymous insurgents, and demanded that the government "Free the military and let it do the job."[20] Afterwards, insurgents bombed 6 department stores in Hat Yai city, which up until then had been free of insurgent activities. As always, the identity of the insurgents was not revealed. On 8 September, Deputy Prime Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya promised to give Sonthi increased powers to better deal with the insurgency.[21] However, by 19 September 2006, the Army admitted that it still was unsure who to negotiate with.[15]

Three days later, Sonthi led a coup against the government of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Sonthi's former superiors, Deputy Prime Minister for national security Chidchai Vanasatidya and Defense Minister Thammarak Isaragura na Ayuthaya were immediately arrested and have been detained ever since.

Despite escalating violence, in May 2007 Sonthi started withdrawing troops from the South, replacing them with territorial defence volunteers. He did not say why the regular army was to be reduced in the South.[22]

[edit] Military coup

Main article: 2006 Thailand coup d'étatDuring the peak of the Thailand political crisis in February 2006, Sondhi Limthongkul, leader of the anti-Thaksin People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), personally met Sonthi to request that the military intervene in the crisis. Afterwards, Sondhi claimed that Sonthi listened to him attentively and promised to consider his request. Sonthi later claimed that he was misled into receiving Sondhi, and had no intention to endorse the anti-government activists.[23]

On 19 September 2006, Sonthi and other military leaders launched a military coup against the government of Thaksin Shinawatra. The coup-makers originally called themselves the Council for Democratic Reform. Tanks surrounded Government House in Bangkok and the military took over all broadcast media. Thaksin declared a state of emergency from New York City (where he had been attending a meeting of the United Nations), but his broadcast was cut in mid-sentence when the military seized the television station.

Sonthi dissolved Cabinet, Parliament, and the Constitutional Court, and temporarily gave himself powers equivalent to Prime Minister. He declared that the council would hand over power in two weeks.[24] On the second day of the coup, he received a formal mandate from King Bhumibol Adulyadej.[25]

General Sonthi later said in an interview that the coup was originally planned for 20 September, to coincide with a major anti-Thaksin rally also planned for that day. He cited the "Portuguese example" in which anti-government rallies coincided with a successful military rebellion which overthrew King Manuel II of Portugal and established the Portuguese First Republic. The coup was moved up to 19 September, when Thaksin was still in New York. Sonthi also stated that the coup was not an urgent measure mooted just a couple of days earlier. Sonthi also claimed that during a lunch that Thaksin had with the commanders of the armed forces, Thaksin had asked him "Will you stage a coup?" Sonthi replied: "I will."[26] This contradicted earlier public statements where he denied that the military would stage a coup.[27] He also revealed that as early as his 11 September visit to Myanmar, he had been wary of his personal safety. During flight, he carried a concealed pistol and sat next to the entrance to the cockpit.[28]

Sonthi and other junta leaders flew to Chiang Mai on a Air Force C-130 on 3 November 2006 to visit a prominent fortune-teller and perform a religious ceremony to ward off bad luck over their staging of the coup. The fortune teller, Varin Buaviratlert, had been Sonthi long-time personal fortune-teller, and had foretold Sonthi's rise to become Army Commander.[29] Amid falling popularity, Sonthi sent his wife and several CNS leaders to visit her on 1 April 2007.[30]

Sonthi completely purged the military of all senior officers perceived as loyal to the Thaksin government, replacing them with officers that he personally trusted.[31][32]

[edit] Permanent constitution

In December 2006, junta chief Sonthi Boonyaratglin issued several guidelines for the permanent constitution being drafted by the CNS's drafting body. These included:

• Restricting a Prime Minister to serving a maximum of two terms of office
  • Preventing a government from acting as a caretaker administration after dissolving Parliament.
  • Making it easier to launch a no-confidence debate against the Prime Minister. Whereas the 1997 Constitution required 200 out of the House's 500 MPs to launch a no-confidence debate against the Prime Minister, Sonthi demanded that 100 MPs be sufficient.

He also made several suggestions, including:

• Transforming the Senate from an all-elected body in order to prevent relatives of politicians from being elected and thus perverting the non-partisan intent of the 1997 Constitution.
  • Allowing politicians to switch political parties at any time. The 1997 Constitution required that any candidate for the House belong to a political party for 90 days before the registration date for an election.
  • Banning the merger of political parties.[33]

Sonthi later denied dictating the content for the new constitution, but stated "We can't force them to do things but responsible people will know what the constitution should look like."[34]

He also suggested that the term in office of village heads and kamnan be increased from 5 years to 10 years, while the role of elected tambon administrative organisations be reduced.[35]

[edit] Relations with Singapore

In 2006, Premier Thaksin Shinawatra sold his shares in telecom firm Shin Corp to Temasek Holdings. The sale also transferred control of Shin Corp's five satellites (including IPSTAR, the world's largest commercial satellite) and mobile phone operator to the Singaporean company. After the coup, Sonthi claimed that Singapore was eavesdropping on confidential mobile telephone calls made by junta leaders. AIS and Shin Satellite, Shin Corp's mobile operator and satellite operator, denied the claim. In February 2007, Sonthi vowed in front of a thousand volunteer territorial defence students to reclaim the satellites and other telecom assets. "Soldiers will not tolerate a loss of territory, not even a square inch," he said, and continued about how it was his specific duty to "retrieve our assets". Sonthi stopped short of threatening to nationalise the telecommunications conglomerate. An opinion poll found more than 78 percent of 1,116 Thais surveyed backed Sonthi's bid to somehow reclaim the satellites.[36][37][38]

Sonthi's deputy in the CNS, General Saprang Kalayanamitr, noted in a February interview that, "if the telecommunication business is in private hands, it won't be safe for the country."[39]

[edit] Other controversies

Sonthi approved a 12 million baht top-secret budget for a public relations campaign to discredit Thaksin Shinawatra. The request for the money was submitted on 24 Jan 2007. Chianchuang Kalayanamitr, younger brother of CNS Deputy Secretary-General Saprang Kalayanamitr, was hired as head of the publicity team.[40] Politicians hired as part of the CNS campaign included Chat Pattana party leader Korn Dabbaransi, Democrats Korn Chatikavanij, Alongkorn Palabutr and Korbsak Sabavasu, Prapat Panya-chatraksa, a key Thai Rak Thai member who defected to the Chat Thai party, plus ex-senator Kraisak Choonhavan. Academics hired by the CNS included Wuttipong Piebjriya-wat, Sophon Supapong, Narong Phet-prasert, and Somkiat Osotspa. However, Sophon denied he had anything to do with the campaign.[41]

After a bomb was exploded outside of Chitrlada Palace in early May 2007, junta leader Sonthi Boonratkalin claimed that the "old power group" was behind it, and told the press to ask PTV to learn more. He did not cite any evidence for his claims.[42]

Sonthi claimed in public that several upper-middle ranking public officials had attempted to give him between 40 and 100 million baht in order to get promoted to director-general posts. Sonthi noted that the incidents led him to conclude that paying bribes to get promoted was common during the deposed government of Thaksin Shinawatra. A criminal complaint was filed against Sonthi for failing to take action against the officials. "Sonthi knows who the people are. Why hasn't he charged them over their illegal actions?" said People's Television executive Veera Musigapong.[43]

In March 2007, anti-Surayud activists led by an Isaan branch of the Sondhi Limthongkul's [[People's Allfrom the Assembly of Isaan People personally met Sonthi to request that the military intervene in the crisis. Afterwards, Sondhi claimed that Sonthi listened to them attentively and promised to consider his request. Sonthi later claimed that he was misled into receiving Sondhi, and had no intention to endorse the anti-government activists.[44]

In February 2006, leader of the anti-Surayud People's Alliance for Democracy Sondhi Limthongkul personally met Sonthi to request that the military intervene in the crisis. Afterwards, Sondhi claimed that Sonthi listened to them attentively and promised to consider his request. Sonthi later claimed that he was misled into receiving Sondhi, and had no intention to endorse the anti-government activists.[45]

Amid escalating public criticism of Premier Surayud in March 2007, Chaiwat Sinsuwong, leader of a PAD branch called the Assembly of Isaan People , personally met Sonthi to request that the military remove the Prime Minister. Afterwards, Chaiwat claimed that Sonthi listened to him attentively and promised to consider his request. Sonthi later claimed that he was tricked into receiving Chaiwat, and had no intention to endorse the anti-government activists.[46][47][48]

In May 2007, Sonthi warned about 40 senior newspaper columnists and executives to "report news correctly," saying that he had noticed columnists criticising situations in different ways, and making it clear that he wanted stories to be reported in the same direction.[49]

[edit] Future role

There was widespread public speculation that Sonthi would retain power after his mandatory retirement in 2007. Although he promised not to follow in the footsteps of former National Peace Keeping Coalition leader and deposed Prime Minister General Suchinda Kraprayoon, Sonthi did note that he alone could not make the decision as to whether he should become Prime Minister.[50]

In March, Sonthi called for emergency rule to be declared in Bangkok in response to the protests by the founders of People's Television. In an interview, he noted that the protests had so far been peaceful, but that he was afraid the movement could lead to "mutiny and chaos in the country."[51]

[edit] Personal life

Sonthi has two concurrent wives. He registered to marry his first wife, Sukanya, when he was a lieutenant and registered to a second wife, Piyada, when he was a captain. He currently lives with both women. Bigamy is illegal in Thailand, and is punishable with a jail term. However, Interior Minister Aree Wongsaraya defended Sonthi, claiming that it was a personal matter. He boasted that he himself had six wives.[52][53]

[edit] Quotes

• "There is nobody who wants to stage a coup. I can assure that the military will not." 28 February 2006[54]

• "The army will not get involved in the political conflict. Political troubles should be resolved by politicians. Military coups are a thing of the past.", 6 March 2006, [55]

• "Nobody was behind us. We decided on our own, and we took care of it on our own ... because the people have called for it and also because of the mismanagement of the government.", 20 September 2006[56]

• "Thaksin is a Thai and a fellow countryman and there will be no problem should he decide to return. We are like brothers.", 20 September 2006[57]

[edit] References

1. <LI id=_note-0>
^ Thailand Set To Reshuffle Southern Army Commander Again Defense News <LI id=_note-COUP>^ Coup chief cites intense conflicts CNN <LI id=_note-1>^ The Star, Sonthi’s meteoric ascent to power, 21 September 2006 <LI id=_note-OFFICIAL>^ Thailand's military reshuffle officially announced People's Daily Online <LI id=_note-2>^ The Nation, WARNING FROM SURAYUD: Thaksin's return 'a threat', 28 September 2006 <LI id=_note-AUDIENCE>^ Thai military chief seeking audience with King Bhumibol Taipei Times <LI id=_note-STAY>^ Should Thaksin Stay? Times Asia <LI id=_note-ELECTIONS>^ Thaksin fall from grace Asia Times Online <LI id=_note-DELAYED>^ Thaksin denies planning to remove Thai army chief People's Daily <LI id=_note-REMOVE>^ Thaksin denies planning to remove Thai army chief China View <LI id=_note-OBSERVERS>^ Thai army chief delivers 'counter punch' to Thaksin Taipei Times <LI id=_note-3>^ Thai News Agency, "Thai army chief reaffirms non-interference in politics", 18 May 2006 <LI id=_note-INFORM>^ Thailand: Mollifying the Muslim SOBAKA <LI id=_note-4>^ Army commander's powers to rise: Thai Deputy PM China Economic Net <LI id=_note-NoIdea19Sep>^ a b The Bangkok Post, "Deep South: Army wants peace talks but unsure who with", 19 September 2006 <LI id=_note-NOCOMMUNISTS>^ Governors to look into Sonthi's claim of communist hand in Southern unrest The Nation <LI id=_note-BEATEN>^ Hostage Taking: Army's image takes beating The Nation <LI id=_note-5>^ The Nation, "HRH Crown Prince to visit Juling" <LI id=_note-NEGOTIATE>^ Sonthi calls for talks The Nation <LI id=_note-6>^ The Bangkok Post, Sonthi slams meddling <LI id=_note-POWERS>^ Army commander's powers to rise: Thai Deputy PM China Economic Net <LI id=_note-7>^ Bangkok Post, Some troops to pull out of South, 12 May 2007 <LI id=_note-8>^ Bangkok Post, No time for a general to play games, 11 May 2007 <LI id=_note-HANDOVER>^ Thailand coup leader vows new PM in weeks CNN <LI id=_note-CAR>^ Thailand's king gives blessing to coup CNN <LI id=_note-9>^ The Nation, Sonthi told Thaksin he would stage a coup, 27 October 2006 <LI id=_note-10>^ International Herald Tribune, Thaksin refuses to resign despite protests in Bangkok, 6 March 2006 <LI id=_note-11>^ The Nation, Sonthi told Thaksin he would stage a coup, 27 October 2006 <LI id=_note-12>^ Bangkok Post, Coup-Makers Try to Keep Bad Luck At Bay, 4 November 2006 <LI id=_note-13>^ Bangkok Post, CNS members visit renowned fortune teller, 2 April 2007 <LI id=_note-14>^ Bangkok Post, Sonthi loyalists put in key military positions, 22 March 2007 <LI id=_note-15>^ Bangkok Post, Mid-year reshuffle completes the Thaksin purge, 22 March 2007 <LI id=_note-16>^ The Nation, Sonthi issues guidelines for new charter, 17 December 2006 <LI id=_note-17>^ The Nation, No dictatation on the charter : CNS chief, 20 December 2006 <LI id=_note-18>^ The Nation, Sonthi idea 'contrary to democracy', 25 December 2006 <LI id=_note-19>^ Reuters, Thailand says wants satellites back, but how?, 19 February 2007 <LI id=_note-20>^ Bangkok Post, Wrong speech at wrong time, 20 February 2007 <LI id=_note-21>^ The Australian, Thailand's junta wants Shin Corp back, 19 February 2007 <LI id=_note-Straits>^ Straits Times, Straight-talking general on the rise, 21 February 2007 <LI id=_note-22>^ Bangkok Post, CNS' anti-Thaksin campaign, 8 April 2007 <LI id=_note-23>^ The Nation, Saprang's cousin given PR work 'because of experience', 11 April 2007 <LI id=_note-24>^ ผู้จัดการออนไลน์, “สนธิ” ย้ำเหตุบึ้มไม่ใช่ฝีมือกองทัพ - โบ้ยถามหมอดูพีทีวี, 6 พฤษภาคม 2550 <LI id=_note-25>^ The Nation, PTV plans legal action against Sonthi for failure to act against corrupt officials, 11 May 2007 <LI id=_note-26>^ Bangkok Post, No time for a general to play games, 11 May 2007 <LI id=_note-27>^ Bangkok Post, No time for a general to play games, 11 May 2007 <LI id=_note-28>^ Bangkok Post, No time for a general to play games, 11 May 2007 <LI id=_note-29>^ The Nation, Gen Sonthi 'tricked' into meeting anti-PM group, 10 May 2007 <LI id=_note-30>^ The Nation, Activists plead for Sonthi to remove PM, 9 May 2007 <LI id=_note-31>^ Bangkok Post, Sonthi warns media to report correctly, 16 May 2007 <LI id=_note-32>^ Bangkok Post, Prime Minister Sonthi Boonyaratkalin?, 22 March 2007 <LI id=_note-33>^ The Nation, Thai junta chief calls for emergency rule in Bangkok, 28 March 2007 <LI id=_note-34>^ The Nation, Anti-coup group calls for Sonthis' sacking for allegedly registering two marriages, 31 December 2006 <LI id=_note-35>^ The Nation, Multiple wives just 'personal' business, 31 December 2006 <LI id=_note-36>^ AFP, Thai PM open to concessions, ready to postpone snap polls, 28 February 2006 <LI id=_note-37>^ International Herald Tribune, Thaksin refuses to resign despite protests in Bangkok, 6 March 2006 <LI id=_note-MISMANAGEMENT>^ Thailand military consolidates grip Al Jazeera
^ Thai coup leader to install new PM in two weeks ABC News

[edit] External links

Preceded by

Pravit WongsuwanCommander-in-Chief of Royal Thai Army

2005–presentSucceeded by

IncumbentPreceded by

Thaksin Shinawatra (as Prime Minister of Thailand)President of the Administrative Reform Council

(de facto head of government)

19th September 2006–1st October 2006Succeeded by

Surayud Chulanont (as Prime Minister of Thailand)PersondataNAMEBoonyaratglin, SonthiALTERNATIVE NAMESสนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน (Thai); Boonyaratkalin, Sondhi (alternate transliteration)SHORT DESCRIPTIONThai military leaderDATE OF BIRTH2 October 1946PLACE OF BIRTHDATE OF DEATHlivingPLACE OF DEATHRetrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonthi_Boonyaratglin"Categories: Current events as of April 2007 | Current national leaders | Thai generals | Thai people | Thai Muslims | Leaders by coup | Politics of Thailand | Muslim politicians | 1946 births | Living people | Army Commanders of the Royal Thai Army | Sunni Muslims

Views

• <LI class=selected id=ca-nstab-main>
Article <LI id=ca-talk>Discussion <LI id=ca-edit>Edit this page
History

Personal tools

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page if (window.isMSIE55) fixalpha();

Navigation

• <LI id=n-Main-page>
Main page <LI id=n-Contents title="Guides to browsing Wikipedia">Contents <LI id=n-Featured-content title="Featured content — the best of Wikipedia">Featured content <LI id=n-currentevents>Current events
Random article

interaction

• <LI id=n-About-Wikipedia>
About Wikipedia <LI id=n-portal>Community portal <LI id=n-recentchanges>Recent changes <LI id=n-uploadwizard>Upload-file wizard <LI id=n-contact title="How to contact Wikipedia">Contact us <LI id=n-sitesupport title="Help keep Wikipedia running">Make a donation
Help

Search

Toolbox

• <LI id=t-whatlinkshere>
What links here <LI id=t-recentchangeslinked>Related changes <LI id=t-upload>Upload file <LI id=t-specialpages>Special pages <LI id=t-print title="Printable version of this page">Printable version <LI id=t-permalink title="Permanent link to this version of the page">Permanent link
Cite this article

In other languages

• <LI class=interwiki-br>
Brezhoneg <LI class=interwiki-ca>Català <LI class=interwiki-de>Deutsch <LI class=interwiki-el>Ελληνικά <LI class=interwiki-es>Español <LI class=interwiki-fr>Français <LI class=interwiki-id>Bahasa Indonesia <LI class=interwiki-ja>日本語 <LI class=interwiki-sh>Srpskohrvatski / Српскохрватски <LI class=interwiki-fi>Suomi <LI class=interwiki-th>ไทย <LI class=interwiki-ur>اردو <LI class=interwiki-vi>Tiếng Việt
中文

poweredby_mediawiki_88x31.pngwikimedia-button.png

• <LI id=lastmod>This page was last modified 10:08, 31 May 2007. <LI id=copyright>All text is available under the terms of the
GNU Free Documentation License. (See Copyrights for details.)
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a US-registered 501©(3) tax-deductible nonprofit charity.
<LI id=privacy>Privacy policy <LI id=about>About Wikipedia
Disclaimers

This isn't the best ending for the parties but it may be the people who benefit. With TRT kicked out, shamed, and feeling that they were unfairly treated (being that all parties are corrupt in their minds), they will stick it to the new parliamentarians. They will demand investigations when THEY see corruption. Just like a child who gets punished while his brother giggles on the sidelines, TRT will make sure that the democrats are pulled down when one of them is doing something wrong. A debt is owed. Corruption might become a victim of this decision. Lets hope for the best as the real problem in this country is corruption.

I agree that eventually enough members of TRT would have defected from thaksin to have a censure debate and maybe even remove him but wouldn't removing the PM by a simple majority of Representatives amount to the same thing as invalidating the vote of the common people that continued to support Toxsin ?

I mean even with all of the &lt;deleted&gt; he was pulling, as long as the poor people got their "programs" they would continue to vote for him indefinitely. They do not care about the corruption or the economy in bangkok.

Colpyat mentioned the drugs in the villages. Before Toxin there were many drugs in her village. Toxsins war on drugs got rid of them. This is why my wife continued voting for him and I suspect it is the same for many in her village. They did not care that innocent people got killed. They said that was bad but he got rid of drugs. The end justifies the means for them.

This entire fiasco reminds me of a discussion I had many years ago with my Dad. He was a Teamster and we were talking about Jimmy Hoffa. I was making fun of the fact that Hoffa was a gangster. My Dad agreed and told me that Jimmy had gotten a lot of things for the rank and file also. The fact that Hoffa stole a lot wasn't important. The Thai people are used to corruption and as long as the people gain a little benefit they don't care. Corruption is a way of life here in Thailand and regardless of who runs the country it will continue to be a way of life. The best advice is not to concern yourself with thing you have no control over AND you certainly have no control over Thai politics.

Thaksin = Jimmy Hoffa.... that's a fair analogy... will he end up the same way???

welcome to the dark ages.....and good luck because thailand will need it.......

Thailand

The party is over

May 31st 2007 | BANGKOK

From Economist.com

Thailand takes a step away from democracy and freedom

ReutersThailand.jpg

Local newspapers had quoted one of the nine judges as saying they would "apply the spirit" of the coup-makers in making their rulings. This, plus the severity of the punishment meted out to Mr Thaksin and his party, and the absolution of the Democrats, will only raise suspicions that the destruction of TRT was a pre-determined outcome. Hopes of a peaceful move back to democracy have dimmed.

http://www.economist.com/daily/news/displa...amp;top_story=1

To say the hopes of a peaceful move back to democracy have dimmed is a bit premature in my opinion.------ look to the future.

Think about this.............. 5 years from now....... <snip>......... 100 TRT really really p.ssed off ex-executuves are ready for revenge in a really nasty way... Thaksin's Man City have won 2 premierships, half of Thailand now support Man C instead of Man U (making Thaksin godlike!!!) ........ the military are fighting over the spoils and loosing cohesion .... the Democrats have run the country like the did before. GDP @ 3%.. (Vietnam China etc continue at 7%+)... this could be better than the Rumble in the Jungle :o:D:D

Edited by Totster
Edited to comply with forum rules