Teen gold shop robber was mixed up in Ponzi scheme - public warned about "len share"

webfact

6pm.jpg

Picture: INN

The deputy RTP spokesman Pol Col Siriwat Deephor told INN that the 17 year old high school student who was arrested after stealing from a gold shop was mixed up in an online Ponzi scheme. 

The student was soon arrested and subsequently bailed by the director of her school in previous reports on ASEAN NOW. She'd stolen more than 800,000 baht's worth of jewelry using a knife.

At the time it was reported she may have been in debt through gambling. 

Siriwat described the perils of getting involved in the pyramid schemes that Thais call "len share".

High interest rates are offered at first but most people end up losing everything as funds collapse and the instigators disappear with investors' money. 

This can lead to big trouble between friends and relatives who get embroiled in the schemes, he noted.

He warned of jail terms of 1 - 10 years for those who run such schemes and fines of between 20,000 and 200,000 baht. 

He advised people to call 191 or 1599 to report such criminal activity. 

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm not condoning the robbery but doesn't it sound more like she got involved as a victim of a Ponzi scheme and couldn't see a way out...desperation?   The alleged "gambling", if it wasn't this Ponzi investment, hasn't been confirmed as true and what's "murky" about a 17-year old being bailed?

Gone fishing....looking for my own bite....good luck....555

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm not condoning the robbery but doesn't it sound more like she got involved as a victim of a Ponzi scheme and couldn't see a way out...desperation?   The alleged "gambling", if it wasn't this Ponzi investment, hasn't been confirmed as true and what's "murky" about a 17-year old being bailed?

Being bailed by her teacher

14 minutes ago, Almer said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Being bailed by her teacher

She was bailed by the school's director.  What's "murky" about that?

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why would a  school  director bail a student for armed robbery, would that happen in your country of birth.

Yes or No will do.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Almer said:
7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why would a  school  director bail a student for armed robbery, would that happen in your country of birth.

Why not?  How about compassion for a normally good pupil?   Yes, it could happen in my country, just as it could in yours, it's nothing specific to Thailand, bail can be posted by anyone.

• Like 1