Electric Vehicle Charging Network in Thailand

Lammbock

Hello,

I am planing to buy a new car, preferable a BMW in Thailand. Looking at their website gives me many hybrid options to choose from. e.i. 530e, X5-45e etc.

But I do like to know how is the charging station network in Bangkok and around Thailand these days? Like Tesla in Europe and the US where you literally have chargers all over, how is it in Thailand? I wonder how is this system setup in Thailand? Are there many brands? Can you pay by cc or is it for free? Or is it like in the west where each brand has their own network of charger and are there many of it?

Thank you for your feedback and have a nice weekend.

Cheers

47 minutes ago, Lammbock said:

I am planing to buy a new car, preferable a BMW in Thailand. Looking at their website gives me many hybrid options to choose from. e.i. 530e, X5-45e etc.

But I do like to know how is the charging station network in Bangkok and around Thailand these days?

https://www.bmw.co.th/en/topics/fascination-bmw/bmw-i/charge-now.html

There's 42 charging stations in Bangkok and other places for you to choose from via BMW.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, alacrity said:
5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

In a country the size of France. And given the number of 'brown outs', what's going to happen if the number of EV's needing recharge increases?

Obviously, the number of charging stations will be increased, of course.

Right now, they're pretty much only in the big cities and not plentiful there either. Being that I travel a fair amount within the country, I decided against a PHEV at this point even though there as some real nice ones around. Perhaps the replacement in a couple of years...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Khun Yogi said:
15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously, the number of charging stations will be increased, of course.

And the power will be produced using coal powered power stations. that's about all Thailand has. !!!!

So what? The OP's question was about the accessibility of charging stations, that's all.

21 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Any business owner with at least 2 functioning brain cells would be installing them in their parking lot and listing them on Google Maps so the cars navigation system will show available charging stations within range. 

So not anytime soon then.

• Haha 1

Live in Phuket.  Bought a BMW 330e M Sport hybrid (i.e. gasoline and electric) at end of last month.  Not sure about the rest of the country, but, if Phuket is anything to go by, there appears to be just the one charging machine, which is in the Central mall near Phuket Town.  Otherwise, it’s a case - if you’re fortunate enough to have a private driveway or similar - of getting a local electrician to install a suitable charging point (for us, Bt3,200, against BMW’s supplied “charger box” costing Bt.65,000.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2021 at 5:17 PM, LarrySR said:

Any business owner with at least 2 functioning brain cells would be installing them in their parking lot and listing them on Google Maps so the cars navigation system will show available charging stations within range. 

"Any business owner with at least 2 functioning brain cells"......Aye, there's the rub, for in the truth of TIT, theres damn few and they're a' deid.

(To paraphrase a couple of quite well known poets).

1 hour ago, watboy said:

I did a lot of research around this earlier this year when I was considering buying a PHEV or a BEV. I ended up with an X5 45e. I'm a very detailed type of guy who does lots of research.

Very informative reply. Thank you very much. I am really eyeing the X 5 45e. Which dealer didn't accept any orders for a black model? How long did you wait for yours for delivery?

Thanks!

lots of condos have them now in bangkok, even cheaper condos but not plentiful, few chargers in the garage, I can't imagine how people will charge their EV's if theres only a few chargers in the condo garage and a bunch of people have EV's

Edited by dj230

10 hours ago, Lammbock said:

Very informative reply. Thank you very much. I am really eyeing the X 5 45e. Which dealer didn't accept any orders for a black model? How long did you wait for yours for delivery?

Thanks!

BMW runs a sort of shared inventory in Thailand. As I understand it, when dealers get their car allotment, they have a certain exclusivity window to sell it. Afterwards, if another dealer has a customer, the inventory gets moved. I called lots of dealers, most said they didn't have any. You have to actually go to dealerships and be a credible buyer for them to really help you. I went to the Bangkok motor show in last December and narrowed down my list and started shopping for real in Feb. By then the global chip shortage was really in. I could not find an Volvo XC90 at all to test drive and they were not taking orders. BMW, X3 I could not find one to even look at, only X5 I could find to test drive was the manager's personal car. They had blue and graphite in inventory, but white or black would not be available until 2022, this was in Feb. I ended up ordering a Range Rover Sport PHEV, which I ended up having to cancel as it looked like my 6month wait would be 9 or 12+. So went back to BMW in June and found one blue X5 45e in inventory and bought it immediately (in retrospect, probably better I got the X5 than the RRS). Dealer said only reason it was on the lot for more than a few days was the color, and even then I had to put down a deposit within in that day or another dealership was going to take it. It was one of the last unsold X5s in the country and at that point they said they were no longer taking any more orders, and all the orders from earlier in the year won't be delivered until 2022. They still had some 5 series, but X1,3,5 and 3 series, completely gone. Similar stories at other brands, Mercedes, called and visited multiple dealers asking to see a GLE diesel and couldn't even get the time of day from them. Audi, had 1 Q8, no Q5 or Q7s. They had about 2 E-Tron's per month trickle in, they had one available if I were willing to wait a month.

Porsche, if you willing to wait 4-6months, and willing to pay $$$ for options that are standard on a Kia. The X5 45e M-Sport came well equipped at 4.7mn. Cayenne e-hybrids start at 6.3mn, but get it similarly equipped it came out as 7.8mn.

• Like 1