Ceiling Installation Next Week

atpeace

Having the ceiling put in next week on small vacation home in a rural Isaan area.  The builders are extremely friendly and open to any suggestions but do lack experience when it comes to anything other than normal local Thai homes.  They thought I should just purchase tiles from a local shop.  The tiles are 60x60 and they will be hung below a sloping roof.  200 cm space between the roof and ceiling at the front tan 25 cm at the end.  Silver metal roof that doesn't get as hot as the darker shades.

The builder didn't see any reason for vents but should I ask for them?  Also should I put insulation above the tiles?    The room I will have AC (18,000 btu inverter) is only 5x4 meters.

19 minutes ago, atpeace said:

The builder didn't see any reason for vents but should I ask for them?  Also should I put insulation above the tiles? 

Vents are a must for circulating the air between the roof and the ceiling.

Insulation as in roof batts above the suspended ceiling tiles will help, although your clearance between the roof and the ceiling is low, but will still help, how your going to get the insulation in there is going to be interesting if the roof is already on and the ceiling isn't, no room to work in at 200cm space.

Are you talking about internal tiles for a suspended ceiling ?

Edited by 4MyEgo

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Are you talking about internal tiles for a suspended ceiling ?

Ceiling tiles or panels.  Sorry, not sure about the correct description.  They are the ceiling and I assume laid on some sort of suspended frame.  I'm even confusing myself! 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Ceiling tiles or panels.  Sorry, not sure about the correct description.  They are the ceiling and I assume laid on some sort of suspended frame.  I'm even confusing myself! 

I get what they are now, you shouldn't have any problem laying insulation on top as they lay each row, so as they do one row of ceiling panels/tiles, they can move over and then put in the insulation on top and then do the next row of panels and so on, having insulation will keep the heat out and the cool in, without it, the heat will come in quick and the air cons coolness will be leaving pretty quick through the ceiling as opposed to bouncing back down and staying in the house.

I have top notch sisalation, it's called thermal reflective sisalation, and the batts throughout, air cons come on rarely, but I also have whirly birds, vents, eaves with vents and concrete tiles, and like I said, I can stand in the ceiling, so it all boils down to how much you want to invest, if its a weekender, you can do it on the cheap, but the insulation will keep it cooler.

4 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I thought the same but it seems many on this forum recommend because of heat reduction.

We get the rice mice up there, nothing those pizza trays with the glue can't stop, but like I said, you need air to move around up there, otherwise it is no different to being in an oven.

16 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I get what they are now, you shouldn't have any problem laying insulation on top as they lay each row, so as they do one row of ceiling panels/tiles, they can move over and then put in the insulation on top and then do the next row of panels and so on, having insulation will keep the heat out and the cool in, without it, the heat will come in quick and the air cons coolness will be leaving pretty quick through the ceiling as opposed to bouncing back down and staying in the house.

I have top notch sisalation, it's called thermal reflective sisalation, and the batts throughout, air cons come on rarely, but I also have whirly birds, vents, eaves with vents and concrete tiles, and like I said, I can stand in the ceiling, so it all boils down to how much you want to invest, if its a weekender, you can do it on the cheap, but the insulation will keep it cooler.

Thanks!  Just the info I needed.  Below is a simple drawing I just threw together.  Looks like something a three year old did.  How big should the vents be? 

tiles.png

insul.JPG

Edited by atpeace
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Thanks!  Just the info I needed.  Below is a simple drawing I just threw together.  Looks like something a three year old did.  How big should the vents be? 

tiles.png

insul.JPG

I would go 180cm in height or thereabouts, those saloon style door looking vents are fine.

Also the cheaper quality sisalation breaks down over time, so if you can get a good quality one, that would be the way to go IMO. If you think it's good, go for it.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Vents could let vermin in, rats, Tokay geckos , and maybe rain.

regards worgeordie 

Yes have Vents---small mesh wire over them will keep the air flow and stop anything coming to visit---

Ceiling installation  Upper and lower......... not expensive, not only saves money--its the comfort.

Now that Solar is around some people are even putting small solar extracting fan.

Upper installation

Beat the heat with a home-cooling system

Lower Installation

Building in Isaan – Week 13 | Tony in Thailand.

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Yes have Vents---small mesh wire over them will keep the air flow and stop anything coming to visit---

Ceiling installation  Upper and lower......... not expensive, not only saves money--its the comfort.

Now that Solar is around some people are even putting small solar extracting fan.

Upper installation

Beat the heat with a home-cooling system

Lower Installation

Building in Isaan – Week 13 | Tony in Thailand.

Thanks for sharing.  Too late for the  upper but I'll take a look at Stay Cool.

9 minutes ago, vinci said:

do not use tile on your ceiling, just use fiber cement board instead of gypsum board it doesn't have paper backing prevent termite, why would anybody put tile on ceiling

I probably misspoke. They are ceiling panels and termites don't seem to like them.  At least that is what I was told.

3 hours ago, atpeace said:

The builder didn't see any reason for vents but should I ask for them?  Also should I put insulation above the tiles?    The room I will have AC (18,000 btu inverter) is only 5x4 meters.

As mentioned vents with mosquito screens will be good. For insulation the easiest is to get the precut sheets that exactly match the tile size. The problem you will have is dust coming through the ceiling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I probably misspoke. They are ceiling panels and termites don't seem to like them.  At least that is what I was told.

tile is heavy, i have never seen anybody use tile for ceiling panels, let alone it can fall on your head ????, just use fiber cement board, its cheap, if they don't have exact size buy the whole piece and cut them to fit

1 minute ago, vinci said:

tile is heavy, i have never seen anybody use tile for ceiling panels, let alone it can fall on your head ????, just use fiber cement board, its cheap, if they don't have exact size buy the whole piece and cut them to fit

Ceiling tiles are not heavy and the most common inexpensive ceiling. 

do research a topic before making a strange, obviously ill informed comment.

Interesting read on the heat transfer of roofing, insulation, ceiling and air space. Published in Thailand.

https://www.thaiscience.info/journals/Article/IIRE/10895217.pdf

I can verify the finding that concrete tiles with no ceiling transfer the most heat by far.  The resort owner where I'm at let me cancel my contract and change rooms because of the lack of ceiling with concrete tiles.  It was beyond miserable and borderline deadly.

Edited by atpeace

11 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Ceiling tiles are not heavy and the most common inexpensive ceiling. 

do research a topic before making a strange, obviously ill informed comment.

i miss understood it is ceiling tiles, i thought he meant actual TILE( the heavy tile stuff) use on the ceiling ????, and yes you are correct they are inexpensive and termites don't eat those.

• Like 1